Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hull inspection

Default Hull inspection

Looking at an S38 thats out of the water. Where about on the boats hull do I need to scrape back the AF and what to look for?
    I believe its spray rails and chines but at which points? (will be getting full survey but worth a look now)

If the boats not ran for a few a week would water in the drive oil still be visible on the dipstick due to the oil not being pumped around the drives?
    Need to check as they're being serviced before my survey.

Any other points worth checking whilst ashore?

Default Re: Hull inspection

Quote Originally Posted by russ View Post
    Looking at an S38 thats out of the water. Where about on the boats hull do I need to scrape back the AF and what to look for?
    I believe its spray rails and chines but at which points? (will be getting full survey but worth a look now)

If the boats not ran for a few a week would water in the drive oil still be visible on the dipstick due to the oil not being pumped around the drives?
    Need to check as they're being serviced before my survey.

Any other points worth checking whilst ashore?
    The oil on the dipstick is engine oil that circulates around the outdrives. The outdrive oil is separate and in the outdrives. To inspect this you need to unscrew the oil fill hole on the outdrive.

The two oils are not connected.

Is this the S38 In Norfolk ?
    Only ever look down on a person when you are bending over to help them up.

South coast.

It would be advisable to have owners permission prior to carrying out any inspections yourself.

“Where about on the boats hull do I need to scrape back the AF and what to look for ?”

I think scraping back the anti foul as part of a survey once an offer is accepted and deposit paid is one thing but may well be unacceptable to many owners as part of an initial viewing. I’m not sure which of the Sealine ‘S’ series suffered with hull issues but if this was one of them all the remedial works were done by Destys and a certificate should be on top of the pile of available paperwork. Good luck !

I would not be happy if anyone other than a surveyor of someone buying the boat scrapped antifoul off my boat

I’ll ask permission before touching the AF.

If the hull strengthening has been done there should be a completion certificate.

Water in our drive oil makes the oil milky. I doubt the water would drop out. If the boat is ashore I expect the oil has been changed.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynG View Post
    If the hull strengthening has been done there should be a completion certificate.

Water in our drive oil makes the oil milky. I doubt the water would drop out. If the boat is ashore I expect the oil has been changed.
    Only just been lifted. So service is next week.
    Vendor doesn’t have paperwork although a prominent hull surveyor that worked alongside Sealine has done a survey report concluding its been strengthened. Not sure if this is good enough?

I looked at S38s before buying the S34. There is a design issue - which required structural strengthening. I think this is the reason these boats represent such apparent value for money in today's market. I believe the mod should have been done by Destys Marine. There should be paperwork to back this up. Alternatively, I believe Destys will be able to tell you if they did the mod from the hull number.

Also the advice I was given was to be wary of the Seaplex electrics. Check everything, as its a bit temperamental; and parts are either no longer available or prohibitively expensive.

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast