Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Hull inspection

Default Re: Hull inspection

What if its a boat thats been out and chocked up for months whilst up for sale. Is this a way of hiding osmosis once fully dried out? Or are there tell tale signs?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
    Once again people are suggesting things to be done that don't happen in the real world. Is a seller or Broker really going to pull their boat out and leave it out 10 days for a possible buyer to inspect... I think in reality no
    Well said.

Russ.....you have already lost a season,time that money saved can never replace.
    You are over thinking things,find a boat you like,buy it,enjoy it,deal with any issues that arise.

Quote Originally Posted by Flynnbarr View Post
    Well said.

Russ.....you have already lost a season,time that money saved can never replace.
    You are over thinking things,find a boat you like,buy it,enjoy it,deal with any issues that arise.
    Well said to you sir..... He has sort of been told this but his search for perfection goes on
    Only ever look down on a person when you are bending over to help them up.

Quote Originally Posted by russ View Post
    What if its a boat thats been out and chocked up for months whilst up for sale. Is this a way of hiding osmosis once fully dried out? Or are there tell tale signs?
    I once spoke with a guy who treats osmosis and he spoke of boats lying up for close to a year and the humidity levels in the hull not dropping significantly. The boat he was speaking about was a Trader 41 so a good quality boat. Different lay-ups may mean different results but really it’s not something that resolves itself I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferris View Post
    I once spoke with a guy who treats osmosis and he spoke of boats lying up for close to a year and the humidity levels in the hull not dropping significantly. The boat he was speaking about was a Trader 41 so a good quality boat. Different lay-ups may mean different results but really it’s not something that resolves itself I think.
    It is just another thing to worry about and if you overthink things is just another barrier to buying a boat
    Only ever look down on a person when you are bending over to help them up.

Quote Originally Posted by About Time View Post
    One thing to consider when you buy boats older than ard. year 2000 most hull layups are different from today so more boats have the risk of osmosis. When I bought my 2003 the surveyor first did the inspection of the boat itself and ran it to check the engines. After that we agreed to lift her out of the water for inspection of the hull and outdrives. After lifting you need to await the hull inspection a few days as osmosis blisters will show up only 5-10 days after lifting … and then dry out again. Therefore looking for osmosis blisters inspection must be done like one week after lifting.
    Well my experience would suggest that this isn’t definitive - I have seen osmotic blistering immediately visible on lifting out that wasn’t there on a lift the year before. Perhaps it depends upon the layup but whilst I accept that every day can be a school day in all my years of boating I haven’t heard this one before now. Not saying that it isn’t right but would like to know a bit more before taking a view.

Quote Originally Posted by russ View Post
    Try reading this before the sleepless nights start
    https://www.yachtsnet.co.uk/osmosis.htm

Do Sealines S34's ever from Osmosis? If they are anything like Fairlines if the same age it's virtually if not totally unheard of. Therefore the hull inspection will only be looking for signs of groundings (sounding with a hammer), structural defects and the condition of the antifouling.

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    Do Sealines S34's ever from Osmosis? If they are anything like Fairlines if the same age it's virtually if not totally unheard of. Therefore the hull inspection will only be looking for signs of groundings (sounding with a hammer), structural defects and the condition of the antifouling.
    Not heard of any osmosis issues with the S34.

Found an S34 in a barn ,bin there since 2006 never been used needs a new hood, legs never seen water and engine been prepared for storage . Telephoned
    Russ he came down to Wales to look they were asking 60k , he said it looks to good for 60k and declined the boat . Then I woke up.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast