Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 75

Thread: Hull inspection

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    North East Hampshire
    Posts
    604

    Default Re: Hull inspection

    What if its a boat thats been out and chocked up for months whilst up for sale. Is this a way of hiding osmosis once fully dried out? Or are there tell tale signs?

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,038

    Default Re: Hull inspection

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
    Once again people are suggesting things to be done that don't happen in the real world. Is a seller or Broker really going to pull their boat out and leave it out 10 days for a possible buyer to inspect... I think in reality no
    Well said.

    Russ.....you have already lost a season,time that money saved can never replace.
    You are over thinking things,find a boat you like,buy it,enjoy it,deal with any issues that arise.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,119

    Default Re: Hull inspection

    Quote Originally Posted by Flynnbarr View Post
    Well said.

    Russ.....you have already lost a season,time that money saved can never replace.
    You are over thinking things,find a boat you like,buy it,enjoy it,deal with any issues that arise.
    Well said to you sir..... He has sort of been told this but his search for perfection goes on
    Only ever look down on a person when you are bending over to help them up.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    150

    Default Re: Hull inspection

    Quote Originally Posted by russ View Post
    What if its a boat thats been out and chocked up for months whilst up for sale. Is this a way of hiding osmosis once fully dried out? Or are there tell tale signs?
    I once spoke with a guy who treats osmosis and he spoke of boats lying up for close to a year and the humidity levels in the hull not dropping significantly. The boat he was speaking about was a Trader 41 so a good quality boat. Different lay-ups may mean different results but really it’s not something that resolves itself I think.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,119

    Default Re: Hull inspection

    Quote Originally Posted by Ferris View Post
    I once spoke with a guy who treats osmosis and he spoke of boats lying up for close to a year and the humidity levels in the hull not dropping significantly. The boat he was speaking about was a Trader 41 so a good quality boat. Different lay-ups may mean different results but really it’s not something that resolves itself I think.
    It is just another thing to worry about and if you overthink things is just another barrier to buying a boat
    Only ever look down on a person when you are bending over to help them up.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    2,809

    Default Re: Hull inspection

    Quote Originally Posted by About Time View Post
    One thing to consider when you buy boats older than ard. year 2000 most hull layups are different from today so more boats have the risk of osmosis. When I bought my 2003 the surveyor first did the inspection of the boat itself and ran it to check the engines. After that we agreed to lift her out of the water for inspection of the hull and outdrives. After lifting you need to await the hull inspection a few days as osmosis blisters will show up only 5-10 days after lifting … and then dry out again. Therefore looking for osmosis blisters inspection must be done like one week after lifting.
    Well my experience would suggest that this isn’t definitive - I have seen osmotic blistering immediately visible on lifting out that wasn’t there on a lift the year before. Perhaps it depends upon the layup but whilst I accept that every day can be a school day in all my years of boating I haven’t heard this one before now. Not saying that it isn’t right but would like to know a bit more before taking a view.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,107

    Default Re: Hull inspection

    Quote Originally Posted by russ View Post
    What if its a boat thats been out and chocked up for months whilst up for sale. Is this a way of hiding osmosis once fully dried out? Or are there tell tale signs?
    Try reading this before the sleepless nights start
    https://www.yachtsnet.co.uk/osmosis.htm

  8. #68
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    ation, Loc: ation, Loc: ation.
    Posts
    16,315

    Default Re: Hull inspection

    Do Sealines S34's ever from Osmosis? If they are anything like Fairlines if the same age it's virtually if not totally unheard of. Therefore the hull inspection will only be looking for signs of groundings (sounding with a hammer), structural defects and the condition of the antifouling.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    2,809

    Default Re: Hull inspection

    Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    Do Sealines S34's ever from Osmosis? If they are anything like Fairlines if the same age it's virtually if not totally unheard of. Therefore the hull inspection will only be looking for signs of groundings (sounding with a hammer), structural defects and the condition of the antifouling.
    Not heard of any osmosis issues with the S34.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    boat conwy
    Posts
    3,673

    Default Re: Hull inspection

    Found an S34 in a barn ,bin there since 2006 never been used needs a new hood, legs never seen water and engine been prepared for storage . Telephoned
    Russ he came down to Wales to look they were asking 60k , he said it looks to good for 60k and declined the boat . Then I woke up.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to