Default Advice sought on buying privately in Alcudia, Mallorca

On Friday, Iím taking a long weekend to view a Ď98 Fairline Phantom 42. She appears to be in vgc, and has done c700 hours). Feedback on this model, and points to look out for are most welcome.

She was originally bought in the UK, and the seller assure me he has the original invoice showing VAT was paid. She was bought by a German, who then sold the boat to his friend the current owner.

The boat is located in Alcudia, Majorca. This is a private sale, there is no broker involved.

From a contractual point of view, Iím thinking I need to check: the following documents:
    1. the original builderís certificate
    2. the original UK invoice, showing VAT was paid
    3. the boat is registered under German Flag
    4. The sellerís passport, to verify he is the person he says he is

Are there any particular idiosyncrasies in dealing with a German registered boat in Spain I should be aware of?
    Is there a pro forma contract that is widely accepted?
    What is the best way of managing payment?
    Is there anything else Iíve forgotten?

Finally, if anyone is in Alcudia next weekend and fancies coming along to view - drop me a PM.

DW

Default Re: Advice sought on buying privately in Alcudia, Mallorca

I bought my current boat directly with no broker involvement, also in mallorca as it happens. I used the RYA second hand boat contract on the link below.

https://www.rya.org.uk/SiteCollectio...AND%20BOAT.pdf

There were no issues with the sale, so I didnt have to 'rely' on the contract so I have no idea how effective it will be if there is a dispute.

At the same time I also sold my current boat directly (also in mallorca) , in that case there was no paper contract at all, and all I did was ensure the funds were cleared in my account before handing over the keys and a big bunch of paperwork (very much like buying/selling a second hand car privately in the uk). I did create a receipt for the buyer (much as you might with a second hand car) .

I guess the main thing you need to prove/be confident in, is that the boat is this chaps to sell. You dont want someone making a claim that the boat is theirs once you have handed over the cash to the other person, so I guess documentation linking the seller to the boat is key ,so registration docs with his name, and various invoices for work done over the years with his name/address, and then docs that prove the person you meet is the person the other paperwork refers to, ie a passport.

I didnt need to do any of the above because I was buying from a friend, which did make it all a lot simpler.
    Last edited by julians; 28-07-19 at 11:27.

Thanks Julians

I plan to return the boat to the UK, so the other thing I need to sort out is how to go from the German Bill of Sale to a UK bill of sale ...anyone?

The U.K. has 2 registers. Part 1 and ssr.

I donít know if Germany has the same. You can register finance against a part 1 reg boat so I would try to find out how you do a finance check on the German registry.

I am in Mallorca next week we pass Alcuida i think over the weekend on way to menorca.

Total marine ( aquatom on here) is at the other end of the island but might look at the mechanicals for you if you ask nicely!

Others will know of more local engineers.

If he is the owner you could ask for some photos over the last few years with him on the boat .

You could ask on the 'Boating in Mallorca' Facebook page. The guy that runs it is called Joe Fitoni and seems to be well connected on that side of the island. I'm sure you'll get recommendations for local engineers and others who can help with the purchase and transfer details of your request.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmaTarga View Post
    You could ask on the 'Boating in Mallorca' Facebook page. The guy that runs it is called Joe Fitoni and seems to be well connected on that side of the island. I'm sure you'll get recommendations for local engineers and others who can help with the purchase and transfer details of your request.

Good luck.
    Good call.

Also, Dazzywoo, I'm sure you've alredy had this recommendation but Sir Ian Collet at Ward McKenzie will greatly reduce your stress level for a relatively modest cost.

If this isn’t the boat your going to look at it might be worth speaking to Nicolas and arrange a viewing of this at the same time ?
    http://www.mallorcaboatsales.es/pre-...ca-boat-sales/

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    Also, Dazzywoo, I'm sure you've already had this recommendation but Sir Ian Collet at Ward McKenzie will greatly reduce your stress level for a relatively modest cost.
    I spoke to Ian today. What a legend! Any questions re: buying a boat abroad - talk to this chap.