Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Project OBD!!!!!!! ( Norman 32 refurb )

Why not tow the boat for that section of journey

The Norman has an outboard bracket and you have an outboard.
    Congrats on your new project
    When you say you’ll do something you do it!

Like I said before, it's an illness, an addiction and you seem to have it very badly. Have you considered AA? (Aquatics Anonymous). I hope not. Looking forward to following along on your latest endeavour and wishing you every success in the process. My repairs are seriously on hold as work continues at a hectic pace. Still, I'll have all winter to get her finished, by which time you'll probably have rebuilt the Titanic!

Best of luck with her and I have experience with outdrives/legs and not all good, so feel free to ask in the event that I can be of any help.

Quote Originally Posted by seastoke View Post
    could you not lift the leg right up then use a short leg outboard for that journey
    If needs be i will see how it goes on the four day trip to the Ribble Link. Have a go anyway. From more research it should be fine an dwill know tomorrow when i pop down to sort a few things on it before we go up to Khashoggi.

Quote Originally Posted by Restoration man View Post
    Hi Wayne looking forward to the new thread , got quite addicted to your old thread had to check most days to see if you had done something else on the boat, hope you get some time to actually use your new boat when it’s done
    Oh always find time, i have said to T that i will be doing every other weekend on OBD and when T is at football and i ma at the boats on my own.

Quote Originally Posted by stelican View Post
    Why not tow the boat for that section of journey
    More hassle, boat runs fine under own steam. well at the minute and the four day trip to the link will show if it really is. Then maybe tow it if allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bouba View Post
    The Norman has an outboard bracket and you have an outboard.
    Congrats on your new project
    When you say you’ll do something you do it!
    The bracket will need moving up though as its low for some reason and i ma sure the draught will be lower with the outboard fitted. i have a longs haft and not sure if it will push the boat along as its only a 9.9hp. it needs minimum speed of 5knots to do the link.

And yes when i say what i want to do then i do

Quote Originally Posted by sogood View Post
    Like I said before, it's an illness, an addiction and you seem to have it very badly. Have you considered AA? (Aquatics Anonymous). I hope not. Looking forward to following along on your latest endeavour and wishing you every success in the process. My repairs are seriously on hold as work continues at a hectic pace. Still, I'll have all winter to get her finished, by which time you'll probably have rebuilt the Titanic!

Best of luck with her and I have experience with outdrives/legs and not all good, so feel free to ask in the event that I can be of any help.
    I have considered a few AA`s but folk that go there all need help unlike me

I am considering converting to shaft drive

Just though i would throw that in there.

Quote Originally Posted by waynes world View Post
    I am considering converting to shaft drive
    Now I know you are crackers

Quote Originally Posted by Croftie View Post
    Now I know you are crackers
    That was just the start of it, be good as a wide beam maybe 10 foot

Hey anything is possible

Folk ask Why....because i can

Quote Originally Posted by FARSCO View Post
    Awesome Wayne. I really like the lines of your boat.

Has a sort of MTB look to it

Can the outdrive not be operated raised up a bit? Do the Enfields swing sideways or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by seastoke View Post
    could you not lift the leg right up then use a short leg outboard for that journey
    Went down to OBD on Friday to see waht i need ro do for the trip to get it home.

First thing was to pump it out as there was a good 10 inch of water in it, more than likely the rain we have had. It had dropped the boat a good few inchs lower.

While T was doing that i measured the draught to see what exactly it was. I first lifted the leg with a length of wire to see whats what but could get to see the prop, not sure if i should of been able to.

This is what i found a dam great rudder fitted to it. A good solid DIY job by the looks of it.

From the bottom of the rudder to the top flat of the leg it was 30 inch`s, Not sure if thats close to the level of the skeg or not, as said i couldnt see it all. I will look at pics on the net soon to see what others look like.

So when the leg was lowered the top flat sat a few inches below the surface. BUT it was sat low with all the water in the hull.

My Brother is coming down next weekend to help move it. He will be steering through the locks as he has bust his back to i will be the lock`y.

I am getting a short length on chain and a hook to bolt down on to the transom with some shackles to hold the leg up a bit if water get shallow. Just peace of mind for me really as many folk say ti will be fine.

Oh yes also before we set off i will be making a frame for a couple of seats to be screwed down to, cant be standing all the 7hrs cruise each day for the next 3 week ends. Not just my Brother but my back plays up after a while stood up. Old bloody age hey. Or in my case not enough excerise anymore.

Oh yes....i will remeber all i have to do someday. I need to wire up the alternator to keep charge in the batteries while we pup out when cruising and good power for the restart.

Admiral Faffer

A word of caution....I’ve no idea how your leg is constructed however.....there’s bound to be a UJ in there somewhere.

If you get it too high...you might bind the UJ and smash it to bits with the engine going. That’s why volvo fit a “beach” button to stop you trimming too high with the engine running.

I knocked a gimbal bearing out of a Yamaha hydra drive doing that very thing as it had an aftermarket rocker switch fitted with no trim failsafe.

I don't like the notion that the top of the leg is below the surface of the water. From my limited experience, just the leg itself should be submerged. The leg usually comes in an upper and lower section. The upper section houses the gears and if any water gets in there, it's not going to do much good. I know you said she was sitting low, but worth bearing in mind. Maybe yours is a different set up? Likewise to avoid running the engine with the leg raised to avoid damaging the universal joint. Does yours have a UJ bellows? If so, definitely worth checking it out for splits etc. It can be a point where water gets into the boat. Unless that is, yours is a totally different set up.

Quote Originally Posted by sogood View Post
    I don't like the notion that the top of the leg is below the surface of the water. From my limited experience, just the leg itself should be submerged. The leg usually comes in an upper and lower section. The upper section houses the gears and if any water gets in there, it's not going to do much good
    My outdrive sits pretty much completely submerged. Just an inch or two above water at rest. I think it just depends on the boat/engine combo.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast