Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 96
  1. #61
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    837

    Default Re: Project OBD!!!!!!! ( Norman 32 refurb )

    Quote Originally Posted by sogood View Post
    Hey Wayne,
    Good to see that you're making progress. It's all part of the bigger picture. I agree that if you want to work on the boat, then a YouTube blog would be a real labour of love. It's too easy to start, when things are relatively quiet, and then the time just isn't there when you get busy. Concentrate on the blog here on the forum as it's manageable and tells us all we need to know. Best of luck with it as you carry on.
    Hi kida, hey i am alive still....just lol. Have a bit of an update here at last Been bloody crazy here but......

    Now we can let the fun begin properly. Its taken time as said in last post i have been sorting the house out with a few jobs and finishing of a few jobs. on Khashoggi.



    Today i took up this wee beast for the sole purpose of getting gear down the boggy field to Cozacan, and be lazy in the good weather.



    I paid £100 for it and fitted decent tractor tread tyres, new drive belts and battery. I am happy to say it did the job with ease even pulling the trailer. Its We did get stuck once but its finding the best route through the field where its less boggy. A quick bounce up and down to get traction back and away we went again.



    You could say boys and toys but this is the only way i will be getting gear to the boat, cant see me carrying 8x4 sheets and gear 600yrds nowadays.








    Sooooo



    Next weekend its rip out the what i can, lining first and decide if i want to remove the inner skin which will give maybe 10mm more heard room as i am still undecided on which insulation to go for. Its either PIR again or spray foam, then theres the 3M to look at but that as thick or thicker than the 25mm max i want on the cabin top and sides down to the gunnel.



    On deciding what to do there i need to remove all the windows and get the glazed. Along with making a rear cockpit screen and hardtop. I have Sapele int workshop for the rear cabin door frame work. Also still cant decide if to make a full timber door or GRP one.



    I am off already with cant bloody decide arnt I.



    Now a little happy but a little irritated as T now wants to go with me on the idea of living on a boat / very long term cruising and it was either get a bigger boat or this Norman, the Norman being a leisure boat as things were different back then.



    I was/am considering extending it by another ten foot as that would help a lot with a liveaboard/long tern cruiser. That will not get in the way on the plans ahead for the next 6 months as lots to do. Just to think on.



    Well that aside for me to sleep n lets crack on

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Kerry, Ireland
    Posts
    201

    Default Re: Project OBD!!!!!!! ( Norman 32 refurb )

    Hiya Wayne. I was on the brink of dropping you a line to see if you were still around, when you pipped me at the post. That tractor jobbie is a good idea. I'm all for not over taxing myself also. The joints etc. have a tendency to complain a lot more as time passes!!

    My summer, work season has just ended, so I hope to start posting again, as I finish off my engine mounts and start re-assembling. (Lots of questions no doubt, despite notes and lots of photographs taken during dismantling!!) And I'm still looking at assorted diesel powered boats. Does this illness never go away??
    Anyway, glad to see you're still hard at it and looking forward to plenty of updates. Take care.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    837

    Default Re: Project OBD!!!!!!! ( Norman 32 refurb )

    Quote Originally Posted by sogood View Post
    Hiya Wayne. I was on the brink of dropping you a line to see if you were still around, when you pipped me at the post. That tractor jobbie is a good idea. I'm all for not over taxing myself also. The joints etc. have a tendency to complain a lot more as time passes!!

    My summer, work season has just ended, so I hope to start posting again, as I finish off my engine mounts and start re-assembling. (Lots of questions no doubt, despite notes and lots of photographs taken during dismantling!!) And I'm still looking at assorted diesel powered boats. Does this illness never go away??
    Anyway, glad to see you're still hard at it and looking forward to plenty of updates. Take care.
    Areat fella, ye been a bit on another planet for a while but back in waynes world lol Dont mention joints, my god the recent Op near worked, bit better though, off for injections soon to see if that helps the arms..



    Be a pig for you to get laminating done with the cold weather setting in, if i stick with my plans i will be getting a big space heater in the Cozacan for the laminating.


    Just finished making the V berth table fro khashoggi


    Iroko tiles on 18mm base with Sapele hockey stick trim, all to match the cupboard top in Khashoggi. The filler i made worked great, used Cascamite and added Iroko dust from the last job. Near done now on Khashoggi. Oh finished in Le Tonkinous.






  4. #64
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Kerry, Ireland
    Posts
    201

    Default Re: Project OBD!!!!!!! ( Norman 32 refurb )

    Looking good Wayne. Fortunately , I don't have a lot more glass work to do. Just the starboard engine mount to fit. I have the mount made up using four 3/4" marine ply strips reined and glassed together and all wrapped up in chopped mat. Just a peanut butter mix to bed it in and glass it in, over the existing fibreglass "shell". Just like I did the port side, as shown in my post. Thankfully all the grinding is done! no fun grinding away all the old gel coat in the bilge.........

  5. #65
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    837

    Default Re: Project OBD!!!!!!! ( Norman 32 refurb )

    Quote Originally Posted by sogood View Post
    Looking good Wayne. Fortunately , I don't have a lot more glass work to do. Just the starboard engine mount to fit. I have the mount made up using four 3/4" marine ply strips reined and glassed together and all wrapped up in chopped mat. Just a peanut butter mix to bed it in and glass it in, over the existing fibreglass "shell". Just like I did the port side, as shown in my post. Thankfully all the grinding is done! no fun grinding away all the old gel coat in the bilge.........
    Grinding GRP is the only part i do not like on working on boats. And if i plan to go ahead with this Norman and extend it theres going to be a bit to do hey. Just looking into finding a hard standing near Preston.

    Still lot to research though.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    837

    Default Re: Project OBD!!!!!!! ( Norman 32 refurb )

    Just popped in to say there will be no update for a while as plans have changed, not for the worst though.

    As some may be aware i like a challenge and project to involve all sorts of tasks.


    I know there will be a few if not loads of folk saying it cant be done, it will cost to much and not worth if the boat and no cost gain in the boat in the end etc etc.


    So to the plan



    I am going to bring it home T suggested it before she get the Oh poor woman having to put up with him lol



    I will be extending it to 44-45 foot long with adding the length to the rear cabin where the portholes are. With that it will be a reverse layout aswell. I will be building a trolley/trailer to do the extension. I have a pair of good size axles here and then build a extendable chassis frame etc to slide the boat apart once cut to help keep it square and level. There will be bracing for the rear section to keep it from flexing but the font half will be held in place as there s the rear bulkhead to do that job.



    One problem is an Artic will not get down to our house to remove it once extended therefore the boat will have the extension added to the rear section then fully rebuilt etc in two halves but for the galley which is where the cut is.



    I will transport it to a marina/yard and finish it off there.


    So thats it in the short of whats to be done.



    Now as always any thoughts are welcome, good and bad, but as said i like challenge and full on project and i think this is my best yet





    Admiral Faffer

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Volos-Athens
    Posts
    4,902

    Default Re: Project OBD!!!!!!! ( Norman 32 refurb )

    can we have some sketches Admiral?

    not too familiar with the boat yet, you haven't posted that many pics (hint!)
    sounds like a good challenge, so go ahead!


    cheers

    V.

    PS is it legal to tow it around the streets to your house though?

  8. #68
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    up on the moors.
    Posts
    33,373

    Default Re: Project OBD!!!!!!! ( Norman 32 refurb )

    Warne, as usual I stand in awe of your imagination and practical skills.


    Some thoughts for the boat extension.

    Engine ?
    Heating ?
    Water tanks, cold and hot ?
    Waste tank *black water" ?
    Loos (plural) and showers ?
    Elec power - solar ?
    Particularly on the last, as solar panels can now be built in to the structural curves.
    Bow and stern thruster ? Poss hydraulic ? If you had a hydraulic main, you could power the anchor and warping winch.

    When you get round to looking at timber, let me know and I'll see what is lying around at the saw mill. Mainly oak but also ash and chectnut.

    It would be nice to see a big parrot cage on the roof
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Kerry, Ireland
    Posts
    201

    Default Re: Project OBD!!!!!!! ( Norman 32 refurb )

    Ye mad thing Wayne. I'm all for challenges, but maybe as I'm not as young as I used to be, I tend to pick my challenges carefully where possible. I think I'd favour getting a bigger boat to start with and devote my time and energies, not to mention money, into bringing it up to spec. As mentioned, do put up some pics to give us a better idea of what you're at. Looking forward to following along and wishing you every success.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    837

    Default Re: Project OBD!!!!!!! ( Norman 32 refurb )

    Quote Originally Posted by vas View Post
    can we have some sketches Admiral?

    not too familiar with the boat yet, you haven't posted that many pics (hint!)
    sounds like a good challenge, so go ahead!


    cheers

    V.

    PS is it legal to tow it around the streets to your house though?


    Hi V

    I have it all in my head ( could be the reason i dont sleep ) but as soon as i can i will sort some drawings out etc.

    To drive an artic/wagon yes fully legal if thats what you mean. If it fits it goes. Just access is not easy and a rear steer will cost a bloody fortune. Max towing length for a car towing though is about 28 foot i think, i forget now. BUt i am thinking on trailering the two halves of the new boat to the marina/yard.


    Quote Originally Posted by sarabande View Post
    Warne, as usual I stand in awe of your imagination and practical skills.


    Some thoughts for the boat extension.

    Engine ?
    Heating ?
    Water tanks, cold and hot ?
    Waste tank *black water" ?
    Loos (plural) and showers ?
    Elec power - solar ?
    Particularly on the last, as solar panels can now be built in to the structural curves.
    Bow and stern thruster ? Poss hydraulic ? If you had a hydraulic main, you could power the anchor and warping winch.

    When you get round to looking at timber, let me know and I'll see what is lying around at the saw mill. Mainly oak but also ash and chectnut.

    It would be nice to see a big parrot cage on the roof
    Hi Tim

    My Wife stands in awe at times but thinking ` what the hell did i marry` lol

    Lets see at the minute

    Engine will be as is at the minute with the Merc OM636 with leg.

    Stove in rear main cabin with a diesel heater split to both front and rear.
    T
    Two, minimum 100l water tanks with undecided water heater, i liked the Malaga 5 until i had trouble with new one i fitted to Khashoggi already and had to remove it..

    It will have solar, not sure of what size but i dont want the spoil of solid solar panels and then you dont get as much fro flexi panels. For more electric/power generation i am thinking adding another alternator to the engine to charge the 4-6 batteries it will have.

    Waste water is usual cassette type and over board sink waste and shower.


    All that can be changed and no doubt changed in the future as its a big job ahead.



    OOohhh

    Solar panels, as typing, yes my head hurts

    I would rather have solid solar panels fitted but dont want the uglyness of them that spoils the lines of a boat. So thought just now to sink then into the roof . I also forget to mention i fancy adding an extra 50mm or so in height of the rear main cabin so that will help if i was to sink the panels in.


    My head is hurting but i love it

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to