Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Default Re: Project OBD!!!!!!! ( Norman 32 refurb )

Quote Originally Posted by sogood View Post
    Ye mad thing Wayne. I'm all for challenges, but maybe as I'm not as young as I used to be, I tend to pick my challenges carefully where possible. I think I'd favour getting a bigger boat to start with and devote my time and energies, not to mention money, into bringing it up to spec. As mentioned, do put up some pics to give us a better idea of what you're at. Looking forward to following along and wishing you every success.
    You only live once and this is me lol.

As you i am sure its a hobby and sanity for me, reason T said i can fetch it home i reckon.

I am not keen on narrow boats and there are not many GRP cruisers above 32 foot but for the odd Dawncraft 38`s.

To get what i want and like i have to build it, i would but i dont have the money to get a workshop big enough. and this is the next best thing.

It mite not end up working yet, who knows. Fun in trying though and keeps my brain going

Oh yes sorry guys

What pics of what would you like, i have put most of what i have on here ,the videos have the best details really.

Quote Originally Posted by waynes world View Post
    Oh yes sorry guys

What pics of what would you like, i have put most of what i have on here ,the videos have the best details really.

on the pic above, care to explain how you'll cut and shut?
    I'd have thought the best would be to cut in the opening in the middle and give some space there (hoping that with the global warming there's going to be a point of having an open space somewhere there
    TBH, proportionwise it's a nicely put together craft, needs some care in altering it!

cheers

V.

If you are going to extend can I recomend adding the pointy end off another norman to the blunt end of your norman, not for any useful or structural reason, I just like the idea of narrowboats having to guess which way you are going in tunnels....
    Them old normans are good solidly built boats but that is a heck of mission to extend, good luck with it, worth sharing the story with Trevor at the NBAS website.

how about something like this W?

a norman36 I recon:

V.

PS. at the office waiting for some students and they are as always late, so knocked this in pshop. Would struggle to see it going over 38ft tbh!
    PPS. touched up the paintwork a bit as well

Quote Originally Posted by vas View Post

on the pic above, care to explain how you'll cut and shut?
    I'd have thought the best would be to cut in the opening in the middle and give some space there (hoping that with the global warming there's going to be a point of having an open space somewhere there
    TBH, proportionwise it's a nicely put together craft, needs some care in altering it!

cheers

V.

I agree they are nice boats, well wouldnt of bought one if i didnt think otherwise.

The cut will be where the port holes are. The same section with the raise in the roof by a few inch maybe. Where the port holes are will be the galley and dining table opposite and the seating etc aft of them. That cabin will be about 14-15 foot.

The rear cabin at the minute is around 7 foot long.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbird30ds View Post
    If you are going to extend can I recomend adding the pointy end off another norman to the blunt end of your norman, not for any useful or structural reason, I just like the idea of narrowboats having to guess which way you are going in tunnels....
    Them old normans are good solidly built boats but that is a heck of mission to extend, good luck with it, worth sharing the story with Trevor at the NBAS website.
    Now that would be cool, one thing where to fit the engine.....leave that with me. You are loony as me

As I read it you are adding around a 12ft section in the middle, if it was a steel boat I would say well possible but not easy, in a GRP then you are trying the very very difficult, totally bonkers but I think you would agree

hm, so even longer then!

how about a 42ft version:

Quote Originally Posted by Croftie View Post
    As I read it you are adding around a 12ft section in the middle, if it was a steel boat I would say well possible but not easy, in a GRP then you are trying the very very difficult, totally bonkers but I think you would agree
    Can you add to the bonkers idea. weil very very difficult part. i neeeed more info, so many folk are saying this but no details as to what to do to it or why if it will fail.

This is a rough first time sketch of the jointing without the braces added.

I am thinking for the sake of a few more quid go epoxy on the overlap aswell.

the red is epoxy. yellow poly with 1mm inner ply????

Can you add to the bonkers idea. weil very very difficult part. i neeeed more info, so many folk are saying this but no details as to what to do to it or why if it will fail.
    Wayne, not saying its impossible but one hell of a job making it fit neat and strong, Are you fabricating the new hull section or cutting out a section from a donor boat.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast