Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Angry COLREGS and common sense

We were arriving at Roscoff on board the MV Armorique, 29,500 gross tonnes, a couple of Fridays ago. We sat quietly outside the harbour while MV Pont-Aven exited the berth then headed in.

I am always fascinated on how these big ships manoeuvre and was sat looking out over the bow, the family a tad surprised at my language as I watched a 36 foot, estimate 6 gross tonnes, sailing vessel (with a red duster) starting to cross the Armorique's path some 200 meters from the harbour entrance. While both vessels were motoring under power and Armorique was on the sailing vessel's port side I am not quite sure if the skipper was aware were were there or understood how long it takes to stop 29,500 tonnes of ship? Five blasts on the horn certainly woke most of Roscoff up and the helm of the sailing boat did a rather rapid 180 degree turn.

Are berths at Roscoff Marina that scarce that a skipper is happy to play chicken with a Cross Channel ferry?
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.
    Gib'Sea 96 owner

Default Re: COLREGS and common sense

I doubt that incident has anything to do with colregs or common sense. Surely there must be local harbour regulations at Roscoff which cover the space 200m off the entrance?

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles Wader View Post
    I doubt that incident has anything to do with colregs or common sense. Surely there must be local harbour regulations at Roscoff which cover the space 200m off the entrance?
    Indeed.
    It's probably a case of simply failing to realise the ferry had started moving, followed by a short period of not looking in that direction.
    Somebody made a mistake, nobody died, move on.

Plenty of berths in Roscoff when I was there last month. Also harbour signals to prohibit yachts entering or leaving when ferries are moving. Oh and a very responsive crew on the vhf to direct yachts, and a schedule of ferry movements prominently displayed around the marina. Not much excuse for the yacht being there IMHO.

You don't need a degree in Colregs to know not to go in front of a ruddy great high speed lorry while riding a spacehopper !
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

'Les fous Anglaises...'

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

WAFI
    Wind
    Assisted
    Fxcxing
    Idiot

Is the term used in wheelhouses around the world.

As opposed to a PAFI
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

It's also a matter of consideration - I was crew on a 280 ton barge in France which steered like a tea trolley on ice, selecting astern gear just kicked the stern sideways with prop throw and did nothing to slow the thing - I'm always amazed any big ship makes tight spaces around channels and docks, the least I as a recreational sailor can do is not make their job harder.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Whenever I have been to Roscoff I have been met outside by the harbour master in a launch. Of course one has to advise of approach first. I have then been told when it was safe to enter. In most cases I have been shown the way to a berth. All extremely civilised & friendly. I am not sure what happens after normal duty hours though.
    On departure there are signals to say when one can leave.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast