Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: COLREGS and common sense

The yacht was heading east and was on the seaward side of the ferry port. Given the big ship movements I was surprised that all the crew did not have their eyes peeled.

We are based in Plymouth and whenever we are in the sound are always checking for shipping movements and that is with the daily email from the Queen's Harbourmaster so we are aware of what should be moveing. They tend not to publish submarine movements, but the men in black ask you very nicely to move away.
    Cynical Scottish very nearly retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    The yacht was heading east and was on the seaward side of the ferry port. Given the big ship movements I was surprised that all the crew did not have their eyes peeled.
    It's important to keep these things in perspective; five toots and all is usually well. Or a friendly VHF 'intentions clarification' call, as a big Danish ship made to a Volvo 60 yacht last w/e which was playing near the Brambles Bank.

WAFI labeling seems a bit over the top for something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    It's important to keep these things in perspective; five toots and all is usually well. Or a friendly VHF 'intentions clarification' call, as a big Danish ship made to a Volvo 60 yacht last w/e which was playing near the Brambles Bank.

WAFI labeling seems a bit over the top for something like this.
    Indeed so. Any sailor who has never received 5 blasts from a big 'un has never really pushed the envelope.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Indeed so. Any sailor who has never received 5 blasts from a big 'un has never really pushed the envelope.

Richard
    Or given 5 blasts to them.

They're not always right......

(though there seems no debate about that in the OP)

Taking about playing chicken with ferries reminds me of something I saw.

I was on a ferry leaving Santander some years ago, and noticed a fleet of about 50 windsurfers ahead and to port of us. As the ferry moved down the channel, suddenly the windsurfers headed at speed across our bow. 49 passed ahead of us, some quite close. But one poor sod couldn’t make it and he bore away sharply to avoid the ferry, then passed astern to join the others. I bet he received a lot of stick for that.

No sound signals from the bridge, but I bet they were cursing.

I've never given 5 blasts - the only time I should have done, I was a bit like a rabbit in the headlights of a Challenge boat - I couldn't believe he wasn't going to alter course - until it was too late, then I was too busy missing the bastard, but I once gave 5 flashes on a big torch to a cross channel ferry off the Isle of Wight hoping to avoid emulating the Ouzo. I don't know if it reacted or just made a routine change of course, but it turned shortly after.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Quote Originally Posted by Stemar View Post
    I've never given 5 blasts - the only time I should have done, I was a bit like a rabbit in the headlights of a Challenge boat - I couldn't believe he wasn't going to alter course - until it was too late, then I was too busy missing the bastard, but I once gave 5 flashes on a big torch to a cross channel ferry off the Isle of Wight hoping to avoid emulating the Ouzo. I don't know if it reacted or just made a routine change of course, but it turned shortly after.
    Doubt very much if it was a coincidence. 5 flashes across the wheelhouse absolutely the correct thing to do IMO and got the correct response in all probability. A good skipper would have wanted to show you he'd seen you.

I gave 5 blasts to the redjet just last week entering cowes. He was using 5 blasts as a "get out of my way" and as I was behaving properly and not at all ambiguously (just going slower than he wanted) I refused to be bullied by him. My response was a proper "I am unsure of your intentions".

Quote Originally Posted by Stemar View Post
    I once gave 5 flashes on a big torch to a cross channel ferry off the Isle of Wight hoping to avoid emulating the Ouzo. I don't know if it reacted or just made a routine change of course, but it turned shortly after.
    It wasn't per chance at the West Princess Cardinal marker off Foreland? The ferries sometimes use this inner route and seem to regard it very much as their priority channel.

Quote Originally Posted by chriss999 View Post
    Taking about playing chicken with ferries reminds me of something I saw.

I was on a ferry leaving Santander some years ago, and noticed a fleet of about 50 windsurfers ahead and to port of us. As the ferry moved down the channel, suddenly the windsurfers headed at speed across our bow. 49 passed ahead of us, some quite close. But one poor sod couldn’t make it and he bore away sharply to avoid the ferry, then passed astern to join the others. I bet he received a lot of stick for that.

No sound signals from the bridge, but I bet they were cursing.
    Chris we are both in Devon, have you ever sailed into the Exe with the kite surfers playing? My greatest fear was on of them being impaled on a mast or bowsprit!
    Cynical Scottish very nearly retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Chris we are both in Devon, have you ever sailed into the Exe with the kite surfers playing? My greatest fear was on of them being impaled on a mast or bowsprit!
    Yes I do that!
    It is quite an amazing experience to see them flying past to left and right. Like rainbow-coloured angels! I love it.
    How do you handle it?
    If under sail I just assume that they know what they are doing and I steer a straight course & hope for the best. Last trip one came off the plane 25 yards ahead of me but I was able to steer round him (to windward seemed sensible).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast