Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wet musto

Default Re: Wet musto

Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
    We now have a motorsailer with a huge pilothouse.

The 2K's worth of boots, salopettes and offshore jackets, gloves, baliclava's, seal skinz socks etc. stays in a locker. It has only been used twice in three seasons, both times coming alongside in the rain.

Sailing is to be enjoyed, not endured!
    I remember when you were roughty toughties...

Dum vivimus vivamus

Quote Originally Posted by salar View Post
    If it is Goretex, the waterproofing relies on the micropores creating surface tension and then the water doesn't go through. If the micropores are full of dirt, the dirt acts as a wick and the water goes through. Therefore, keep it clean and don't block the micropores with waterproofing stuff - which is why they recommend washing with a mild soap.
    Ah! interesting but it's not goretex.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
    Ah! interesting but it's not goretex.
    Goretex is just a trade name for a type of breathable fabric. All fabrics that are breathable will probably be made of a micropore design, so they will wick and leak when dirty. I would try a good clean before applying a "waterproofing" that may wreck the breathability and not necessarily make it waterproof. I'm a big Musto fan, most of my kit is Musto and I have never had to re-proof. It gets pretty mucky fishing!
    www.boat-angling.co.uk for information on fishing in the Eastern Solent

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by dslittle View Post
    I remember when you were roughty toughties...
    Yes, we were.

We were well known in the Long Distance Motorcycle Trials world when we were younger too. 22.5 hours in the cold and almost constant pissing rain in early March on a severe Lands End Trial was a real test of endurance. The bike was an antique-a Tri-BSA sidecar outfit which we used from the time it was just an interesting trials bike until it became a valuable classic. Over 25 years non stop!

We both have NVQ Level 5 in coping with cold and wet.

Which, perhaps, is why we dont anymore......................................

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12