Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

Default Re: Upturned Yacht - Biscay

The idea that i would stick with an insured boat in the middle of biscay with all the rigging and sails hanging over the side in frankly atrocious conditions with an injured member of crew and a helicopter hanging over head waiting to take everyone off... is bonkers. The risks going forward even if we get rid of the casualty are substantial.

Let the insurers deal with it.

Odds are it was a delivery trip anyways...
    Last edited by photodog; 06-08-19 at 11:26.

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    The old Ship Captains Medical Course was far more fun for stitching. injecting and inserting stuff. And dealing with the Grim Reaper.
    Yup packing the orifices of cadavers was good fun.

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    And you clearly took absolutely nothing in. There is no way the RYA would ever advocate dealing with a possibly serious fracture and its associated complications including shock, internal hemorrhaging, and so on, while a helo ride to a fully equipped French hospital was fluttering overhead.
    I did a proper three-day first aid at work course for that part of my life which involves working outdoors with other people's children. What we learned was that the first aider's job is to try to keep people alive until properly qualified help arrives. That and removing ticks. There is absolutely no way that I would deal with a fracture by ... what? Ignoring it? Trying to reduce it myself? Giving the casualty a nice, warm cup of tea?
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    The old Ship Captains Medical Course was far more fun for stitching. injecting and inserting stuff. And dealing with the Grim Reaper.
    Kurafid, the British Antarctic Survey first aid handbook is great fun, and covers all of the above. Dealing with corpses is a bit easier in a climate that is always well below zero, though. Knowing when you have a corpse on your hands is the tricky bit.

Quote Originally Posted by KellysEye View Post
    It looks the right way up If the rudder was fine and the engine worked I would have kept going.
    Bring a skipper demands a sure grip on judgement in times of emergency. Particularly when a crew member is ill or injured, that judgement has to be focussed squarely on the best outcome available for the injured crew member. KellysEye perhaps needs to be careful about expressing potentially damaging "advice" from the armchair of ignorance. I am shocked by the lack of judgement here. No first aid course is going to help KellsEye here but maybe a RYA yachtmaster course might at least highten awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by AntarcticPilot View Post
    Knowing when you have a corpse on your hands is the tricky bit.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Problems in Antarctica include the old adage that you're not dead until you're warm and dead. Warming an inanimate body to check whether warming it up brings it back to life is challenging, to say the least. We were told that barring obviously unsurvivable traumatic injury, we were to continue attempts to resuscitate until we were certain they were dead - and then carry on. The latter instruction probably had more to do with the psychology of the survivors than any real hope of success.

I have seen similar comments on my walking forum concerning two parties lost if fog calling out the Mountain Rescue. We met the MRT going out as we descended Gable and it was indeed fairly wet and very misty.

To those who criticised the lost ones for calling out MRT, I put the question "Would you really prefer they died of hypothermia to prove a point ? "

If its all under control yes of course motor back with mast down, but masts generally dont fall down when its under control. If its not under control seek assistance if at all possible.
    A boat is for going places

Quote Originally Posted by AntarcticPilot View Post
    We were told that barring obviously unsurvivable traumatic injury, we were to continue attempts to resuscitate until we were certain they were dead - and then carry on. The latter instruction probably had more to do with the psychology of the survivors than any real hope of success.
    Yes, same in the course I did. When do you give up CPR? Never, as long as you're physically capable. And yes, I think it's as much (or more) to avoid the "Perhaps I could have saved her if I hadn't stopped" feelings afterwards as anything else. After all, if you need CPR and you are not already in a hospital your chances are minute and even if you are already in a hospital they only improve to "slim".

Quote Originally Posted by KellysEye View Post
    >Awesome, a one day course makes one an expert. Thats certainly not the RYA 1st aid course I've been on, must book the right one in future.

RYA first aaid course topics covered

Medical shock – recognition and management
    Accessing medical advice on VHF
    The recovery position
    Helicopter evacuation
    Resuscitation techniques
    Dealing with wounds, burns and fractures
    You appear to be living proof that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, or perhaps in your case minimal knowledge is lethal.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast