Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Guernsey last Mon & Tues

I've heard that the strong winds from a slightly unusual direction caused some problems especially on the outer pontoons. Anyone have any further information?

Default Re: Guernsey last Mon & Tues

Quote Originally Posted by trialframe View Post
    I've heard that the strong winds from a slightly unusual direction caused some problems especially on the outer pontoons. Anyone have any further information?
    Guernsey harbours has issued the following Local Notice to Mariners regarding the pontoons outside Victoria Marina:

"Visiting mariners are advised that due to storm damage, the visitor’s pontoons in St Peter Port Harbour no longer offer walk ashore access to the Crown Pier until further notice.

"Visiting mariners are advised to either utilize the Victoria Marina, St Peter Port, or to make provision to tender to shore."
    These are the voyages of Play d'eau....www.playdeau.com

Arrived. But thinking of a bit more east.

8 morons did set off for France on Sunday.

Unwillingly

https://guernseypress.com/news/2019/...cued-at-icart/

On face book this evening Guernsey Harbours have confirmed that the walk ashore pontoons to join the Swan pontoons to the Crown Pier have been reinstated.
    you no longer need your dingy unless you are on the North pontoon 4 ?

Quote Originally Posted by trialframe View Post

The forecast looked very troublesome for the pontoons, when I was there on the Saturday. It was one of those sailing decisions that was not clear cut at all. Do you stick or twist?

.......It had been blowing force 5+ from the NW which is the directions I wanted to go, towards Plymouth.

.......The forecast was for the wind to drop to force 4/5 and back to the west (sometime) on Sunday - orrible seas

........Monday the wind was falling but taking off in Plymouth in the eve - force 7+

........Tues possible storm from the South or maybe SSE.

So it would be silly to stay,
    dodgy to go on Sunday,
    dodgy to go on Monday
    and impossible to go any later.

I even considered Cherbourg, Jersey or going back to France.

A raggy boat but the principle is the same - sometimes you are just stuffed.

Hi Doug748,

It's not good in anything that has a strong east in it, whether in Guernsey harbours or Beaucette. If anything, the outer northerly pontoons will be your best bet, not in the marina where it can surge badly.
    These are the voyages of Play d'eau....www.playdeau.com

Thanks for the tip Piers.
    I nearly got in touch with Beaucette, to see if they had space. It could have been a case of out of the frying pan into the fire.

Default Re: Guernsey last Mon & Tues... and now August 13th onwards

Continuing this thread rather than starting a new one...
    We moved from Alderney to Guernsey on 4 August expecting to stay a day or two and then hoping to anchor off Sark for a few days, but two unexpected events caused us to defer departure until Tuesday 13th (two days hence as I write). Weather has not encouraged the Sark visit (video from yesterday here, poor quality but you will get the idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_Kp0GUZ6Cg). It has been interesting being in a marina with no gate or lock. Less comfortable than being on the hook IMHO. Currently have 6 lines out and the ropes have stretched a bit!

We now need to make a flying visit bac to the UK. Weather next week is OK for the boat to return (it will handle almost anything) but not looking OK for crew. Three questions:

Does anyone on Guernsey do Guardiennage at a reasonable price? Not happy about the security or mooring supervision at the marinas. A daily visit to check lines and shore power and see if we have been hit by another boat (again) is what we need.

We are in Victoria marina - are the other two any better? Haven't enquired yet but wondered if any forumites are away leaving a vacant berth (well you never know!).

Is Jersey a better bet for leaving the boat?

Boat is 40'/12m

Michael

Personally if leaving boat would head for jersey as if you are any size they will put you in the permanent marina in St Helier maybe slightly away from crowd or head for Beaucette. We were inside as a visitor on B pontoon in main Bowl at st helier in July and looked safe even if pontoon fingers smalL so Jersey would my choice for whole variety of reasons . Always a bun fight in St PP even if staf helpful etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoHooter View Post
    Continuing this thread rather than starting a new one...
    We moved from Alderney to Guernsey on 4 August expecting to stay a day or two and then hoping to anchor off Sark for a few days, but two unexpected events caused us to defer departure until Tuesday 13th (two days hence as I write). Weather has not encouraged the Sark visit (video from yesterday here, poor quality but you will get the idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_Kp0GUZ6Cg). It has been interesting being in a marina with no gate or lock. Less comfortable than being on the hook IMHO. Currently have 6 lines out and the ropes have stretched a bit!

We now need to make a flying visit bac to the UK. Weather next week is OK for the boat to return (it will handle almost anything) but not looking OK for crew. Three questions:

Does anyone on Guernsey do Guardiennage at a reasonable price? Not happy about the security or mooring supervision at the marinas. A daily visit to check lines and shore power and see if we have been hit by another boat (again) is what we need.

We are in Victoria marina - are the other two any better? Haven't enquired yet but wondered if any forumites are away leaving a vacant berth (well you never know!).

Is Jersey a better bet for leaving the boat?

Boat is 40'/12m

Michael
    I would give Ricky (marina manager) a call at Beaucette, we had a nice quiet finger berth in the north end of the marina when we stayed and I'm sure Ricky would check on the boat if you had concerns.

Richard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast