Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default River Stour - All time beaches?

We have Triola currently on the Orwell, and we want to pop down and anchor a weekend in the Stour somewhere to mess around in the dinghy and dig in some sand/mud with the kiddies.

Is there anywhere down there with a relatively 'all tide' land-able beach that we won't sink waist deep in the East Coast Ooze? Triola draws 1.5 meters.

*edit, all tide, not all time - its been a long day!
    Mark Ryan - Triola is for sale!
    http://www.albinballad.co.uk/for-sale/

Default Re: River Stour - All time beaches?

I believe many on your coast, swear by Jack Coote`s East Coast Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Old Harry View Post
    I believe many on your coast, swear by Jack Coote`s East Coast Pilot
    S'funny, I was sure I had a hand in writing East Coast Pilot.
    I don't think either pilot book really mentions sandy beaches for sandcastles as such, but there's a beach on the south shore in the Stour at Wrabness but I'm not sure how much of it is private. Also on the north shore around Ewarton Pt, but only seen by me from a distance.
    There's always the reasonably sandy beach at the Rocks on the Deben, also further up the Deben on the east shore past Waldringfield.
    Hope this helps.
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

There’s quite a nice stone beach at Stutton Ness on the Suffolk shore with good landing just upriver from Wrabness. The Anchorage is marked on charts in a small gut, just opposite the number 6 beacon
    Last edited by Sniper; 31-07-19 at 17:59. Reason: Clarification

I would check the weather before committing, it gets fairly rolly or should that be rollie
    anywhere on the Stour with wind against tide. We seem stuck in these southwesterlies at the moment and with children on board a more sheltered location may be preferable.
    Second Sands just below Pinmill would be calmer and there is sand and a couple of visitor moorings. Quite deep close in tho' much less of an adventure as you are already on the Orwell.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Awfully dull answer but you can pretty much get to Stone Point in the same time.

I haven't been there for some years, but the beach at Erwarton Ness is only sandy at the top, about an hour either side of HW you are OK, otherwise it is pretty muddy.

photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

At wrabness there is a nice bit of beach under the cliffs.... at low tide it’s a bit muddy but hey ho... if you can, pick up one of the moorings as close in as possible, Near to the old wreck which uncovers from about half tide.

We have sat there in WAT up to force 5 or so and it’s fine. Can get a bit sloppy, but nothing untoward...

Here’s the spot...

2AE7EE62-7664-40D0-9A84-0F546E038FC1.jpg

Alternatively the actual best beach on the entire east coast (imho) is just downstream from SYH, on the shore near Loompit lake, about 10 minutes walk from the marina.

B8F970CC-C004-4435-9E64-445D6DE9658E.jpg

Sadly you can’t anchor off here...
    Last edited by photodog; 31-07-19 at 21:14.

What about the east bank of the Ore? I've often seen people setting up barbecues etc south of Havergate Island.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantata View Post
    S'funny, I was sure I had a hand in writing East Coast Pilot.
    I don't think either pilot book really mentions sandy beaches for sandcastles as such, but there's a beach on the south shore in the Stour at Wrabness but I'm not sure how much of it is private. Also on the north shore around Ewarton Pt, but only seen by me from a distance.
    There's always the reasonably sandy beach at the Rocks on the Deben, also further up the Deben on the east shore past Waldringfield.
    Hope this helps.
    Have landed grandchildren at low water springs at Ewerton and manufactured mud covered, cut and miserable wriggly objects to clean. Not recommended!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast