Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 49
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Brightlingsea, Essex
    Posts
    986

    Default Re: River Stour - All time beaches?

    Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    Kirby creek? ... oysters?
    Funnily enough I was thinking of starting a new topic on that subject. We pottered up Kirby Creek, around Honey Island and out into Horsey Mere on Saturday, it was a beautiful way to spend a few hours. The big sign near the entrance of Kirby Creek warning about Oyster layings is now gone (the frame is still there), so I wondered whether there are still any Oyster layings there and if not then Kirby Creek would be a great anchorage.

    As an aside, near the top of the tide we decided to have a go a crossing Horsey Mere around to the Twizzle, but found the 'channel' (ho ho) too hard to follow - depth varied between 3m and 0.9m (we draw 0.86 with the keel up) whilst trying to follow the line on the plotter. We bottled it and turned around, later in the day I looked at Google's satellite view and saw it was taken at low tide and very clearly shows the channel - should have used that. I did wonder whether we'd get over the causeway though.

    Apologies for the drift...

  2. #22
    photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    35,498

    Default Re: River Stour - All time beaches?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBz View Post
    Funnily enough I was thinking of starting a new topic on that subject. We pottered up Kirby Creek, around Honey Island and out into Horsey Mere on Saturday, it was a beautiful way to spend a few hours. The big sign near the entrance of Kirby Creek warning about Oyster layings is now gone (the frame is still there), so I wondered whether there are still any Oyster layings there and if not then Kirby Creek would be a great anchorage.

    As an aside, near the top of the tide we decided to have a go a crossing Horsey Mere around to the Twizzle, but found the 'channel' (ho ho) too hard to follow - depth varied between 3m and 0.9m (we draw 0.86 with the keel up) whilst trying to follow the line on the plotter. We bottled it and turned around, later in the day I looked at Google's satellite view and saw it was taken at low tide and very clearly shows the channel - should have used that. I did wonder whether we'd get over the causeway though.

    Apologies for the drift...
    How much water is there in Kirby Creek?

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Brightlingsea, Essex
    Posts
    986

    Default Re: River Stour - All time beaches?

    Quote Originally Posted by photodog View Post
    How much water is there in Kirby Creek?
    We went up at about half tide and saw 5-6m IIRC - not exactly firm information but I do remember thinking there would be plenty of water at all states of the tide, if a bit narrow at LW.

  4. #24
    photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    35,498

    Default Re: River Stour - All time beaches?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBz View Post
    We went up at about half tide and saw 5-6m IIRC - not exactly firm information but I do remember thinking there would be plenty of water at all states of the tide, if a bit narrow at LW.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    22,866

    Default Re: River Stour - All time beaches?

    A friend who keeps his boat in the Walton channel and often sails round in the dinghy tells me that there are now no restrictions on anchoring in Kirby Creek. As he belongs to WFYC I think he should know.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Brightlingsea, Essex
    Posts
    986

    Default Re: River Stour - All time beaches?

    Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    A friend who keeps his boat in the Walton channel and often sails round in the dinghy tells me that there are now no restrictions on anchoring in Kirby Creek. As he belongs to WFYC I think he should know.
    Excellent, thankyou.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
    Posts
    9,786

    Default Re: River Stour - All time beaches?

    Kirby Creek is an ideal anchorage; plenty of water (beware the spit at the entrance!) and very well sheltered from all directions. I am speaking of fifty years ago. You used to be able to land from a dinghy at the stairs on the sea wall and walk a couple of miles to Kirby le Soken where there is a shop and a pub.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    UK East Coast
    Posts
    36,612

    Default Re: River Stour - All time beaches?

    Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    Kirby Creek is an ideal anchorage; plenty of water (beware the spit at the entrance!) and very well sheltered from all directions. I am speaking of fifty years ago. You used to be able to land from a dinghy at the stairs on the sea wall and walk a couple of miles to Kirby le Soken where there is a shop and a pub.
    I remember doing that walk, about 40 years ago! We had a bilge-keel Westerly then, so no real worries about shallow water.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    238

    Default Re: River Stour - All time beaches?

    I too can recall several happy nights anchored in Kirby Creek in the 60s, and a club “meet” there with at least a dozen boats in attendance. Pleased it is available again.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
    Posts
    9,786

    Default Re: River Stour - All time beaches?

    Yes, but they were really good oysters! I recall that the chap who ran (runs?) the layings exported the lot to Belgium and only dealt in Natives, but would sell you some if you turned up in person. Best I have ever had. Hope he's OK.

    This might be a contender for the Fred Drift Award..?

    In just three pages we have gone from advising on suitable all tide beaches on the Stour, concluded that there are none, recommended two high tide beaches on the Orwell, one of which cannot be reached by boat, recommended Stone Point, which isn't in the Orwell or the Stour, concluded that although the beach is fine, we would not anchor there these days, recommended Kirby Creek, which has no beach of any sort and is a bit remote and opined on its oysters!
    Last edited by Kukri; 06-08-19 at 11:36.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to