Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: River Stour - All time beaches?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurrawong_Kid View Post
    Have landed grandchildren at low water springs at Ewerton and manufactured mud covered, cut and miserable wriggly objects to clean. Not recommended!
    Not an ideal place then! Looked like sand from where we anchored.
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

Stone point in the Backwaters - ideal anchorage and lovely beach close to for the kids to have fun on...

As it happens we visited the Stour yesterday staying over night on a bouy at Wrabness. Lovely quiet place and deep water close in. And there were people - children and the odd dog up and down the beach, where the beach huts are. Sandcastles being dug too. We'll be revisiting when we're looking for a bit of quiet. Not far either. We're based at Woolverstone.

It is a nice day out from Woolverstone, you have the tide against you in the Orwell both ways, but with you in the Stour where the stream is stronger anyway. We used to do this with our kids, originally in a Devon Yawl whose bow we could run onto the beach, later in our RHOD which meant picking up a mooring and dinghying ashore. Great fun on a summers day. The sand is only at the top though, muddy/gravel below. If you time it right you can have a couple of hours ashore and clean feet.��

photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

Quote Originally Posted by Marmalade View Post
    Stone point in the Backwaters - ideal anchorage and lovely beach close to for the kids to have fun on...
    Now, this maybe heresy ... but I really don’t like the Anchorage at stone point.

There is a shedload of tide.

At low water the channel narrows considerably and it’s very easy to end up in a dubious way, with limited room to swing.

The holding is not spectacular.

To be secure their you need to lay out a considerable scope, and with a few others about... it’s not relaxing.

Having been woken up at 2am by another yacht dragging across our chain... it’s a seriously overrated anchorage imho.

Hamford water around the corner is top, but I won’t anchor at stone point overnight anymore.
    Last edited by photodog; 05-08-19 at 06:22.

Quote Originally Posted by photodog View Post
    Now, this maybe hearsay... but I really don’t like the Anchorage at stone point.

There is a shedload of tide.

At low water the channel narrows considerably and it’s very easy to end up in a dubious way, with limited room to swing.

The holding is not spectacular.

To be secure their you need to lay out a considerable scope, and with a few others about... it’s not relaxing.

Having been woken up at 2am by another yacht dragging across our chain... it’s a seriously overrated anchorage imho.

Hamford water around the corner is top, but I won’t anchor at stone point overnight anymore.
    I tend to agree. I too have dragged there. Also, the anchored yachts often shield the green buoy at night. I came in on a moonless night and it was crowded and very difficult to make progress to the marina due to many anchored yachts and unable to see the buoy.

I do enjoy Stone Point and it is great fun but I no longer spend a night there under anchor.
    It is never too late to have a happy childhood. Buy a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Leighb View Post
    I haven't been there for some years, but the beach at Erwarton Ness is only sandy at the top, about an hour either side of HW you are OK, otherwise it is pretty muddy.
    Many years ago (I'm talking late 1970s) we used to anchor off Erwarton Ness quite regularly, to go ashore for beach barbecues. Landing an hour or so before high water required wellies, or we provided guests with carrier bags to wear over their feet. If we left it too long after high water to return to the boat, the ebb current was too strong to row against, so we often had to carry the dinghy about half a mile up river and then launch it, rowing like a maniac so we got out to the boat before we drifted past it.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by LONG_KEELER View Post
    I tend to agree. I too have dragged there. Also, the anchored yachts often shield the green buoy at night. I came in on a moonless night and it was crowded and very difficult to make progress to the marina due to many anchored yachts and unable to see the buoy.

I do enjoy Stone Point and it is great fun but I no longer spend a night there under anchor.
    +1.

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    +1.
    I think the channel has changed so much that anchoring is less appealing than in the '70s when we frequented the spot. We came by yesterday and two boats anchored in the usual place close in were facing in opposite directions! A little further in, halfway to the first mooring is probably better now, and would be better than Hamford Water in an easterly (or Kirby creek).
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Kirby creek? ... oysters?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast