Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: 1st time on the drying grid, any tips?

I always try to remove and debulk as much old a/f paint as possible using wet and dry sand paper. A paint scraper will remove barnacles although I find the thin blade ones a bit flimsy. I use a diver's knife with the tip cut off to provide a chisel point. For really heavy barnacle encrustations I use a brick layers bolster. ( A wide cold chisel) it has the weight so inertia to smash barnacles. You need stout gloves if barnacles are bad. But that is mostly needed when diving. I use scotch bright plastic scouring pads also very successfully.
    One thing that may be critical if you have a fine keel is the fore and aft trim of the boat. Many fin keel boats have a fin that sweeps backwards so that the bottom of the keel is under the hull centre of gravity. (the keel centre of lateral resistance is closer to abeam the mast) Others may have a near vertical keel shape which will give a stern down balance so watch the fore and aft trim closely as she settles. You might have to balance trim with weight moving or tie down the bow if possible. Long keel of course no problem. ol'will

I done this a few times over the years now and itís not as daunting as one thinks.
    Take all the advice apart from using wet and dry sandpaper. This will damage the gelcoat.
    I would re antifoul again as give it a month and youíll be ashore for part two for certain.
    There is another way if you have little barnacle infestation and thatís the following local fishermen do this
    Equipment
    I x garden sprayer
    5-10lts of thin bleach for patios etc

Dry the boat out
    Put bleach in sprayer and spray the whole of the bottom with the bleach
    Let it dry and repeat.
    Work out the tidal lift then go to the pub.
    Return before she lifts.
    Job done.

Thanks all, some great ideas there. Should have asked a few days ago as I have to leave home in about 30 minutes and now my head is in a spin as to where I'm going to get weights etc. Wish me luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Balbas View Post
    Thanks all, some great ideas there. Should have asked a few days ago as I have to leave home in about 30 minutes and now my head is in a spin as to where I'm going to get weights etc. Wish me luck!
    If seen anchors used as weights. Good luck!
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

All done by now maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by James_Calvert View Post
    All done by now maybe?
    Kinda.

I was told that I would be able to use my pressure washer there. Maybe, but the only hose was about 40ft too short. Will have to take my own hose as well as my pressure washer next time. Which is frustrating as I'd have got it all done properly if I'd had a jet spray there.

I dunno whether my antifoul isn't working properly or whether I've just left the boat in the water too long - it's been in a year now - but the whole hull had a mat of barnacles and weed on it. I ended up taking it off in sheets with a scraper and then using an abrasive pad to clean off the weed residue. Got all of the thick stuff off, but had to call it a day with about 1/4 of the hull left to use the scouring pad on.

All went quite well, I used the haliard to the ring bolt, didn't have any weights at all, but had no dramas. I was however saved from embarrassing myself by a very kind gent who noticed that I was going to struggle to get off the wall in reverse against both wind and tide, and so threw me a line and towed my bows through the wind - in my defence I was absolutely shattered at the end of the day and probably wasn't thinking as clearly as I would like to have been.

Would I do it again? Dunno. Certainly if money was no object I'd take it to the local marina, get it craned out, pressure washed and dropped back in. As money *is* an object, i can see myself doing it again, but making sure I can get my pressure washer to work there first.

Should get a 1/2 knot extra now I reckon, with all that growth off.
    Last edited by Balbas; 01-08-19 at 17:52. Reason: Website is shite and crashes, so I save long posts in sections.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Well done - we should all have warned you about how exhausting it is to have your schedule of work — and it is hard work - dictated by the tide, which waits for no man.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12