Thread: Noob question

Default Noob question

Thinking of bringing the old bathtub up above teddington for the first time. Whats the deal with fresh water? Do i need to bring my own hose like the crt water points or will it be marina hoses?
    Just six little numbers, then i can play with the big boys, not much to ask?

Default Re: Noob question

There are plenty of water points on the Thames with hoses, both in marinas and at various locks.

The very handy River Thames Guide app shows the locks on the interactive map, click on the lock symbol and it opens a list of facilities at the lock.

You don't need to use your own 'ose on the River. Plenty of water points with fire hose type arrangements. Be careful as some of them have quite high volume output and are capable of damaging water tanks. Run it for 15 seconds to clear the pipe and also so you can appreciate the power of the flow. They vary but one or two really do shift a bit of water which can expose poorly ventilated tanks to quite high risks specially if the large diameter hose happens to block up the filler pipe !

I burst a tank on my narrow boat years ago at cookham when they first installed the Chubb fire hose. Was having a cuppa with Adam (now retired lock keeper) in his house then when I returned to the boat there was water on the floor. Cabin bilges full due to split seam on tank. I had expected the overflow vent to take care of it. This hose has since been replaced and I think they reduced the size of the feed pipe which helped. I heard someone else burst a stainless tank on another narrow boat at the same water point.

Fulls mains pressure through a fire hose is a lot of water. Always worth checking these EA water points. Its nice to fill quick but you need to be on top of it.
    Last edited by Outinthedinghy; 02-08-19 at 00:04.

The free River Thames Guide app shows every lock and marina facility amongst many, many other useful bits of data; interactive map can be overlaid with any combination of locks, marinas, pumpouts, moorings and much more. Journey Planner gives time number of locks and sailing distance between any of 102 locations - see the full spec and download links on the app support site.
    Jeff Maynard
    Author of the British Marine app, River Thames Guide

Following Health and Safety recommendations hoses are gradually being removed from marinas - I know this is already the case at MDL Thames marinas and Harleyford. Fairly certain the EA will follow suit.
    So boaters will need to carry their own hose on board. Suspect this will have some impact on the time it takes to fill up at EA water points as this will inevitably mean smaller hoses being used.
    my personal choice so far is the Hozelock expanding hose. The flat ribbon ones on a reel can be a pain as they kink easily which severely restricts flow.

Quote Originally Posted by boatone View Post
    Following Health and Safety recommendations hoses are gradually being removed from marinas - I know this is already the case at MDL Thames marinas and Harleyford. Fairly certain the EA will follow suit.
    So boaters will need to carry their own hose on board. Suspect this will have some impact on the time it takes to fill up at EA water points as this will inevitably mean smaller hoses being used.
    my personal choice so far is the Hozelock expanding hose. The flat ribbon ones on a reel can be a pain as they kink easily which severely restricts flow.
    For those who cruise other waters, the use of one's own hose is a complete pain. having a large hose on a convenient reel provided for 'one' add to the luxury of travelling on a wide waterway.....

That's interesting.

A bit annoying but understandable after all you don't know for sure if someone has used the thing to rinse or wash a toilet cassettes...

Having your own hose does make sense for drinking water.