Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dutch Trip

Default Dutch Trip

Hi, As a new member (but long term reader) of EC Forum, and planning first trip to Holland in a weeks time, please can I have recommendations in Holland for my trip. Exchanging crew for better half at ferry terminal, then having a week or so before better half returns on ferry. May have a week on my own before leaving her (boat!) there ( where?) till end of August when crew and I plan to return ( coming over on ferry). I know that it is August so may be busy.
    Many thanks.

Default Re: Dutch Trip

If you're planning on the South delta, I would suggest somewhere with a train connection, Middelburg or Goes for instance. I made the mistake of trying to get near the Hook terminal, so chose Hellevoetsluis. Big mistake as public transport not easy. Where are you hoping to spend your time?

Thanks Dan, No fixed plans but South Holland to start -- probably "traditional" beginners route?

I assume by ferry port you mean Hook of Holland. If so maybe somewhere like Haarlem , Delft, Leiden sailing up into the Markermeer to Hoorne.
    Check out sailing into Europort, yachts not always that welcome.
    I would suggest south Holland as Dan said Middelburg, Zierikzee area is excellent sailing and easier to get to from Dunkerque.
    Out means out, completely out. No single market. Time to walk away. The silent majority.

The rail station at Flushing/Vislingen is close to the little marina yacht club inside the lock. Two trains change at Rotterdam from the Hook.
    Harwich for the Continent - Brexit For the Incontinent . Sadler 290

There is also the option of the Veerhaven in Rotterdam or Dordrecht. Public transport to there would be easy but it's a bit of a hike from the Deltas. Always best to move on public transport rather than by boat.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. -- Steven Wright

Note that there is currently no rail service from Hook of Holland, so you/your crew will have to get the 711 bus to/from Schiedam Central from where they can get trains to anywhere.

In the south I like the Veerse Meer and Willemstad, as well as Zierekzee and Middelburg.

The South delta has some beautiful parts but, imho, the Markermeer and Ijsellmeer are even better. They also offer better sailing in the form of more open water while still being close to convenient and beautiful ports. Enkhuizen is probably my favourite Dutch town, where you can moor either in a marina 1 km walk from the railway station or in a stone walled dock just across the road from the station. Nearby are the almost as lovely ports of Medemblik and Hoorn while a couple of hours sail across the South end of the Ijsellmeer you will find Lelystad, Urk and Lemmer. If you choose to come or go via the Harwich Ijmuiden route, it's worth a stop in Amsterdam, where we enjoy the bustle of Sixhaven, a short (free) ferry ride from the Central Station, but there are other less busy marinas also connected to the town centre by free ferrys. It's a short trip up the NoordSee Canal from Ijmuiden to Amsterdam and even shorter from Amsterdam to the Markermeer.

Our usual plan is to go Harwich Ijmuiden then return Vlissingen or Breskens - Harwich or the other way round. Not really sensible for a single week, but for a fortnight or more you get to see both the southern delta and some more northern parts. If time permits, you can visit the Frisian Islands from the Ijsellmeer.

Lastly, on both cost and time considerations, take a look at the Southend - Amsterdam flights as an alternative to ferrying crew back and forth. Schiphol is a very short train ride from Amsterdam Central, from where you can get frequent reliable trains to almost anywhere (except the Hook!) or catch the free ferry if the boat is in Sixhaven. Of course, depending where you live, Southend may be an expensive train ride from home at UK rail prices, but at least its station has regular trains and is only 10 minutes walk from the departure gates.

Peter.

For all public transport look at 9292.nl
    Train fare from Schipol to Goes or Middelburg is 50 euros return and takes 3-4 hours.
    Not all who wander are lost

Try Flixbus for alternative options

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast