Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Dutch Trip

Default Re: Dutch Trip

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    I'm glad you enjoyed it. There are pleasures throughout the country, though my personal preference is for the North and Friesland. A small 9.5m boat? When I started in a 22' Westerly a 9.5m boat was enormous.
    Thoroughly agree about Friesland. On each trip we tend to go a bit further North, last year Leeuwarden was our turning point. We discovered the Fresian lakes, an idyllic area. Our 1.8m draft is not ideal but we managed to get to lots of places. There are loads more places we want to visit. UK flagged yachts were few and far between.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Tribe View Post
    Thoroughly agree about Friesland. On each trip we tend to go a bit further North, last year Leeuwarden was our turning point. We discovered the Fresian lakes, an idyllic area. Our 1.8m draft is not ideal but we managed to get to lots of places. There are loads more places we want to visit. UK flagged yachts were few and far between.
    A couple of years ago we spent a bit more time in Leeuwarden rather than the usual overnight stop. It is a pleasant town and we found some nice places. The ceramics museum was interesting. Although the oriental section was closed for refurbishment, there was an exhibition of erotic ceramics, which I found interesting, though the first mate was not amused, which made it even funnier. A gin tasting at Boomsma was rewarding too.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

My wife and I, in our Maxi 1000 sailed to Breskens about 3 weeks ago. Stunning westerlies. Up through Middleburg, on to Ziurikse (festival time - rafted 5 deep and order changed each day) and back via Roompot. Saw no weed at all.
    It was our first time there having been to Channel - France and Belgium before. I love the North Sea, same folk on all shores.

The weed seems to be confined to an area of the Markermeer between Amsterdam and Hoorn. I have never encountered it anywhere else.

Yes, the North Sea is lovely, but it was lovelier before they put those whirlythings all over the place.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234