Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dutch Trip

Default Re: Dutch Trip

Quote Originally Posted by stingo View Post
    Or possibly the acquiring of?
    The Dutch are officially the tallest nation on earth. Blokes average about 6'.

I wonder what could be causing it ?
    It is never too late to have a happy childhood. Buy a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmalade View Post
    The accumulation of, or the smoking of?

I know we are talking about a certain plant but I found this book a quite entertaining and informative read.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Why-Dutch-a...gateway&sr=8-1

Quote Originally Posted by LONG_KEELER View Post

I've always assumed it was natural selection, tall people could keep their heads above water and could breed, short people drowned.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewinds View Post
    I know we are talking about a certain plant but I found this book a quite entertaining and informative read.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Why-Dutch-a...gateway&sr=8-1
    Thanks for the link. Will probably buy the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Tribe View Post
    I've always assumed it was natural selection, tall people could keep their heads above water and could breed, short people drowned.
    Could be but remains a bit of a mystery.

"The average male height in the Netherlands has gained 20 cm (eight inches) in the last 150 years, according to military records. By comparison, the height of the average American man has risen a mere six centimetres over the same period."

I'm particular interested in how they seem to do less work but have more disposable income.

Could be but remains a bit of a mystery.

"The average male height in the Netherlands has gained 20 cm (eight inches) in the last 150 years, according to military records. By comparison, the height of the average American man has risen a mere six centimetres over the same period."

I'm particular interested in how they seem to do less work but have more disposable income.
    We follow the American system, work hard, little disposable income, fewer holidays

Came back to Ipswich 10 days ago during really hot weekend making most of the 3 day easterly. Ijmuiden to Foxís 24 hours.
    Took boat over last year, travelled North from Breskens via the standing mast route, ended up in Hoorn Marina and kept the boat there over winter and most of this summer (15 months). Had fantastic time and generally found marina prices much cheaper than UK. Took various flights, normally Flybe and seemed to average £100 return.
    Didnít make many trips to Amsterdam but preferred Amsterdam Marina. Ferries plentiful, loads of space facilities good.
    Weed in Northern lakes definitively evident, normally stayed in channels and whilst there were weed encounters a blast astern normally cleared.
    Overall a fantastic boat friendly country and would definitely do again. The novelty of huge motorway bridges stopping traffic and opening just for a small 9.5 m sailing boat has still not worn off !

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoby View Post
    Came back to Ipswich 10 days ago during really hot weekend making most of the 3 day easterly. Ijmuiden to Fox’s 24 hours.
    Took boat over last year, travelled North from Breskens via the standing mast route, ended up in Hoorn Marina and kept the boat there over winter and most of this summer (15 months). Had fantastic time and generally found marina prices much cheaper than UK. Took various flights, normally Flybe and seemed to average £100 return.
    Didn’t make many trips to Amsterdam but preferred Amsterdam Marina. Ferries plentiful, loads of space facilities good.
    Weed in Northern lakes definitively evident, normally stayed in channels and whilst there were weed encounters a blast astern normally cleared.
    Overall a fantastic boat friendly country and would definitely do again. The novelty of huge motorway bridges stopping traffic and opening just for a small 9.5 m sailing boat has still not worn off !
    I'm glad you enjoyed it. There are pleasures throughout the country, though my personal preference is for the North and Friesland. A small 9.5m boat? When I started in a 22' Westerly a 9.5m boat was enormous.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Old Harry View Post
    We follow the American system, work hard, little disposable income, fewer holidays
    Back in 1860-ish, when the Americans visited Japan they were seen by the Japs as giants, and the Japs remained diminutive for a long time. At the time, the emperor was shocked by the difference and ordained a change in the nation's diet, having correctly perceived that the cause was nutritional. I imagine that the relative lack of change in the US is because they started from a higher level.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast