Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34

Thread: Dutch Trip

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    1,727

    Default Re: Dutch Trip

    Quote Originally Posted by stingo View Post
    Or possibly the acquiring of?
    The Dutch are officially the tallest nation on earth. Blokes average about 6'.

    I wonder what could be causing it ?
    It is never too late to have a happy childhood. Buy a boat.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    1,727

    Default Re: Dutch Trip

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmalade View Post
    The accumulation of, or the smoking of?
    It is never too late to have a happy childhood. Buy a boat.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    3,063

    Default Re: Dutch Trip

    I know we are talking about a certain plant but I found this book a quite entertaining and informative read.

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Why-Dutch-a...gateway&sr=8-1

    Quote Originally Posted by LONG_KEELER View Post
    The Dutch are officially the tallest nation on earth. Blokes average about 6'.

    I wonder what could be causing it ?

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    606

    Default Re: Dutch Trip

    Quote Originally Posted by LONG_KEELER View Post
    The Dutch are officially the tallest nation on earth. Blokes average about 6'.

    I wonder what could be causing it ?
    I've always assumed it was natural selection, tall people could keep their heads above water and could breed, short people drowned.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    1,727

    Default Re: Dutch Trip

    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewinds View Post
    I know we are talking about a certain plant but I found this book a quite entertaining and informative read.

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Why-Dutch-a...gateway&sr=8-1
    Thanks for the link. Will probably buy the book.
    It is never too late to have a happy childhood. Buy a boat.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    1,727

    Default Re: Dutch Trip

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Tribe View Post
    I've always assumed it was natural selection, tall people could keep their heads above water and could breed, short people drowned.
    Could be but remains a bit of a mystery.

    "The average male height in the Netherlands has gained 20 cm (eight inches) in the last 150 years, according to military records. By comparison, the height of the average American man has risen a mere six centimetres over the same period."

    I'm particular interested in how they seem to do less work but have more disposable income.
    It is never too late to have a happy childhood. Buy a boat.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    1,410

    Default Re: Dutch Trip

    Quote Originally Posted by LONG_KEELER View Post
    Could be but remains a bit of a mystery.

    "The average male height in the Netherlands has gained 20 cm (eight inches) in the last 150 years, according to military records. By comparison, the height of the average American man has risen a mere six centimetres over the same period."

    I'm particular interested in how they seem to do less work but have more disposable income.
    We follow the American system, work hard, little disposable income, fewer holidays

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: Dutch Trip

    Came back to Ipswich 10 days ago during really hot weekend making most of the 3 day easterly. Ijmuiden to Foxís 24 hours.
    Took boat over last year, travelled North from Breskens via the standing mast route, ended up in Hoorn Marina and kept the boat there over winter and most of this summer (15 months). Had fantastic time and generally found marina prices much cheaper than UK. Took various flights, normally Flybe and seemed to average £100 return.
    Didnít make many trips to Amsterdam but preferred Amsterdam Marina. Ferries plentiful, loads of space facilities good.
    Weed in Northern lakes definitively evident, normally stayed in channels and whilst there were weed encounters a blast astern normally cleared.
    Overall a fantastic boat friendly country and would definitely do again. The novelty of huge motorway bridges stopping traffic and opening just for a small 9.5 m sailing boat has still not worn off !

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    22,851

    Default Re: Dutch Trip

    Quote Originally Posted by Lincoby View Post
    Came back to Ipswich 10 days ago during really hot weekend making most of the 3 day easterly. Ijmuiden to Fox’s 24 hours.
    Took boat over last year, travelled North from Breskens via the standing mast route, ended up in Hoorn Marina and kept the boat there over winter and most of this summer (15 months). Had fantastic time and generally found marina prices much cheaper than UK. Took various flights, normally Flybe and seemed to average £100 return.
    Didn’t make many trips to Amsterdam but preferred Amsterdam Marina. Ferries plentiful, loads of space facilities good.
    Weed in Northern lakes definitively evident, normally stayed in channels and whilst there were weed encounters a blast astern normally cleared.
    Overall a fantastic boat friendly country and would definitely do again. The novelty of huge motorway bridges stopping traffic and opening just for a small 9.5 m sailing boat has still not worn off !
    I'm glad you enjoyed it. There are pleasures throughout the country, though my personal preference is for the North and Friesland. A small 9.5m boat? When I started in a 22' Westerly a 9.5m boat was enormous.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    22,851

    Default Re: Dutch Trip

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Harry View Post
    We follow the American system, work hard, little disposable income, fewer holidays
    Back in 1860-ish, when the Americans visited Japan they were seen by the Japs as giants, and the Japs remained diminutive for a long time. At the time, the emperor was shocked by the difference and ordained a change in the nation's diet, having correctly perceived that the cause was nutritional. I imagine that the relative lack of change in the US is because they started from a higher level.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to