Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fortwilliam?

Default Fortwilliam?

I suppose you thought this was about this weeks famous football win after the longest losing run in history?

Most years, when the days shorten, we make a late trip up through the Caley to Inverness. This year we are thinking of going the same way, but a lot earlier. The tides are not that favourable and we are unlikely to get through Corran in time to lock in. In other years we have anchored off Corpach, used the often overcrowdwed waiting pontoon or anchored back down in Inverscaddle Bay.
    Passing Fortwilliam I have often thought of stopping there but never really discovered the reported visitor moorings. The picture in 'Welcome Ashore' shows a pontoon but does not say anything about it in the text.
    Anyone know if its use is restricted or can small yachts berth there?

Default Re: Fortwilliam?

Not sure about the pontoon but I think Lochaber Sailing Club look after the visitor mooring, give them a call or email.

We we can usually do it in a oner if the tides are right and can get locked in just before they close. At least the Cally have decent opening ours unlike the other place.
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    . . . Passing Fortwilliam I have often thought of stopping . . .
    Really? I used to live there and since then, a similar thought has never occurred to me, either on sea or land.

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    I suppose you thought this was about this weeks famous football win after the longest losing run in history?

Most years, when the days shorten, we make a late trip up through the Caley to Inverness. This year we are thinking of going the same way, but a lot earlier. The tides are not that favourable and we are unlikely to get through Corran in time to lock in. In other years we have anchored off Corpach, used the often overcrowdwed waiting pontoon or anchored back down in Inverscaddle Bay.
    Passing Fortwilliam I have often thought of stopping there but never really discovered the reported visitor moorings. The picture in 'Welcome Ashore' shows a pontoon but does not say anything about it in the text.
    Anyone know if its use is restricted or can small yachts berth there?
    I was back home about 18 months ago and looked for the pontoon. It is on the car park at the end of the town. All very spick and span due a £25 usage fee! I strongly suspect they just want the cruse liners to use it.

I played Shinty as a boy, nobody played football. Saying that Banavie now has a Rugby and Cricket club!
    Cynical Scottish very nearly retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

I know how fast I'm going, but not where I am

Here you go, information on the mooring...

http://www.lochaber-yacht-club.co.uk...o-loch-linnhe/

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    I played Shinty as a boy, nobody played football. Saying that Banavie now has a Rugby and Cricket club!
    Cricket is the third biggest team participation sport for men in Scotland, after football and rugby. Mind you, that only means that 0.7% of 16+ men play at least weekly during the season. Football is around 15%.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

The pontoon is 'protected' by a locked gate, so no use to we yotties.

I've anchored off the ferry slip at Camus nan Gall, as this is a suitable distance from FW.

As a pre or post canal stop the visitor moorings just NW of the Corran Narrows are generally well sheltered (except in Northerlies) and convenient. But do seem to have the nosiest fish farms next door, with underwater noise all night.

'Welcome Ashore' is a Deloitte investment guide for Chinese companies interested in investing in the UK. Maybe this is the reason for the insidious growth of pontoons on the West Coast of Scotland.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...-withdrawn.pdf
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

The pontoon is available for yachts to use as a drop off/pick up facility. www.fwmsc.co.uk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast