Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 55
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Southminster, essex
    Posts
    9,344

    Default Re: out tonight and a bit of advice please

    Quote Originally Posted by skipper681 View Post
    Did you read my post?

    Sorry for annoying you.
    What annoys me is people like you.

    Did you mean too two or to. You got that wrong although I'm not pedantic, when you slag us off please do it right.

    I'm not a beam trawler but I know a lot of them that are and I can assure you that when steaming the beams are in, how do you know its 15 knots with no one keeping watch? That's an awfully presumptious thing to say. What makes you qualified to say such a thing? Even at that and even if you are mistic Meg and know about other boats that you've never worked on in your life, the guard is always set on the radar. We will not crash into you.

    Wind your neck in until you know what you're talking about.

    pfff

    I'm cross.

    Skip
    yesterday morning i was sitting in the RNSYC in Ostend and watched a couple of fishing boats lock out from the harbour opposite. Within 50 yards there beams were being lowered . I suppose you are going to tell me that they were looking for seahorses in the Harbour, are you?
    as for looking where they are going i was nearly run down in the Black Deep by a prat who had his nets ( or whatever you want to call them) hanging off his beams. Clearly not fishing -unless, perhaps, it was the season for flying fish!!!-- I changed course in light winds & he passed nearby with no change of course. It was clear that there was no one at the wheel.
    This is not the first instance, so do not give me that b,,x because my experience tells me that you are wrong
    what you do may be fine- for you- but it does not apply to all. If you take the attitude that all "fishermen" are squeeky clean then it is you that is the prat
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    563

    Default Re: out tonight and a bit of advice please

    Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    yesterday morning i was sitting in the RNSYC in Ostend and watched a couple of fishing boats lock out from the harbour opposite. Within 50 yards there beams were being lowered . I suppose you are going to tell me that they were looking for seahorses in the Harbour, are you?
    as for looking where they are going i was nearly run down in the Black Deep by a prat who had his nets ( or whatever you want to call them) hanging off his beams. Clearly not fishing -unless, perhaps, it was the season for flying fish!!!-- I changed course in light winds & he passed nearby with no change of course. It was clear that there was no one at the wheel.
    This is not the first instance, so do not give me that b,,x because my experience tells me that you are wrong
    what you do may be fine- for you- but it does not apply to all. If you take the attitude that all "fishermen" are squeeky clean then it is you that is the prat
    I cannot believe that you just called me a prat? You my friend are an idiot. Read back on your posts, try to spell correctly and maybe use paragraphs instead of a wall of text.

    Our conversation ends here.

    What gets me is he didn't even spell pratt correctly.

    Skip
    Last edited by skipper681; 25-08-19 at 17:00.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Zürich
    Posts
    975

    Default Re: out tonight and a bit of advice please

    Spent a couple of days/nights becalmed in the Gulf of Cadiz last month. Fishing fleets appeared both nights and as I watched them buzzing back and forth hour after hour on my AIS, I wondered to myself how on earth I was supposed to avoid them with no wind?

    As it happened they never got close enough for me to ask them :-)

    As for single handers sleeping under two reds!!!! Please.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    scotland
    Posts
    3,422

    Default Re: out tonight and a bit of advice please

    Quote Originally Posted by skipper681 View Post
    He should have a shellfish license or are you talking about just one string of creels? Cygnus boat at 36 or bigger? They're great creel boats.

    Anyone can drop a string of creels. I'm talking commercial fishing.

    Skip
    So am I

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    563

    Default Re: out tonight and a bit of advice please

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Turgidson View Post
    Spent a couple of days/nights becalmed in the Gulf of Cadiz last month. Fishing fleets appeared both nights and as I watched them buzzing back and forth hour after hour on my AIS, I wondered to myself how on earth I was supposed to avoid them with no wind?

    As it happened they never got close enough for me to ask them :-)

    As for single handers sleeping under two reds!!!! Please.
    I have stated before so read back. By the way no single handers sleep under two reds. That would be stupid.

    I'm gonna say it, you guys go your own way. It's no wonder no professional seamen are here. I just bought a yacht and the abuse from you guys here over the years is unbelievable.

    I stand by my post above. We are more qualified than your averave RYA.

    I don't understand why yous need to be a dik about us.
    Last edited by skipper681; 25-08-19 at 20:35.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Zürich
    Posts
    975

    Default Re: out tonight and a bit of advice please

    Quote Originally Posted by skipper681 View Post
    I have stated before so read back. By the way no single handers sleep under two reds. That would be stupid.

    I'm gonna say it, you guys go your own way. It's no wonder no professional seamen are here. I just bought a yacht and the abuse from you guys here over the years is unbelievable.

    I stand by my post above. We are more qualified than your averave RYA.

    I don't understand why yous need to be a dik about us.
    err....... WTF?

    My post wasn't a dig at fisherman. I honestly spent two nights wondering what I would do if the fleet got close enough that i would need to take avoiding action. I have the utmost respect for those who earn their living on the sea. A spanish trawler was kind enough to pluck my buddy from his sinking yacht a few years ago. I also spent some years flying SAR and helped pluck more than one injured fisherman from his boat.

    I sail singlehanded a lot. I would never dream of sleeping under 2 reds as I'm sure neither would you.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    1,178

    Default Re: out tonight and a bit of advice please

    Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    yesterday morning i was sitting in the RNSYC in Ostend and watched a couple of fishing boats lock out from the harbour opposite. Within 50 yards there beams were being lowered . I suppose you are going to tell me that they were looking for seahorses in the Harbour, are you?
    as for looking where they are going i was nearly run down in the Black Deep by a prat who had his nets ( or whatever you want to call them) hanging off his beams. Clearly not fishing -unless, perhaps, it was the season for flying fish!!!-- I changed course in light winds & he passed nearby with no change of course. It was clear that there was no one at the wheel.
    This is not the first instance, so do not give me that b,,x because my experience tells me that you are wrong
    what you do may be fine- for you- but it does not apply to all. If you take the attitude that all "fishermen" are squeeky clean then it is you that is the prat

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    563

    Default Re: out tonight and a bit of advice please

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Turgidson View Post
    err....... WTF?

    My post wasn't a dig at fisherman. I honestly spent two nights wondering what I would do if the fleet got close enough that i would need to take avoiding action. I have the utmost respect for those who earn their living on the sea. A spanish trawler was kind enough to pluck my buddy from his sinking yacht a few years ago. I also spent some years flying SAR and helped pluck more than one injured fisherman from his boat.

    I sail singlehanded a lot. I would never dream of sleeping under 2 reds as I'm sure neither would you.
    Apologies bro. the 'fishermen buzzing about' is what annoyed me. Thanks for replying.
    I posted a couple of weeks ago about red over red, it's surprising how many people didn't know what that meant. I'm glad that you do.

    Kind regards
    Skip

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Atlantic
    Posts
    20,907

    Default Re: out tonight and a bit of advice please

    Pro fishermen have in general, forgotten more about being at sea than the average amateur sailor will ever know.

    People should listen to them when they give advice in good faith, in my opinion.

    Can be interesting to chat to on VHF as well.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    563

    Default Re: out tonight and a bit of advice please

    Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Pro fishermen have in general, forgotten more about being at sea than the average amateur sailor will ever know.

    People should listen to them when they give advice in good faith, in my opinion.

    Can be interesting to chat to on VHF as well.
    I still have the green VHF. We talk shite sometimes too but I promise we will always have your back.
    Last edited by skipper681; 25-08-19 at 23:02.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to