Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Video of Mallorca Cruise: Princess 62, July 2019

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Regardless, running the genset continuosly while anchored is firmly in the "OMDB" league, 'fiuaskme.:
    I've been doing it for 2 seasons now since I fitted the gyro and you do get used to it. Fortunately, the generator noise and vibration on my boat is well suppressed. As I've found out, gyros are only really useful at rest so, if you've got one, you're going to want to run it all the time at anchor. As I said if there were batteries out there which could run the gyro and aircon via an inverter for say 12 hrs, I'd definitely consider fitting them but as far as I'm aware they dont exist

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    I've been doing it for 2 seasons now since I fitted the gyro and you do get used to it. Fortunately, the generator noise and vibration on my boat is well suppressed. As I've found out, gyros are only really useful at rest so, if you've got one, you're going to want to run it all the time at anchor. As I said if there were batteries out there which could run the gyro and aircon via an inverter for say 12 hrs, I'd definitely consider fitting them but as far as I'm aware they dont exist
    I do exactly the same, luckily the gennie is quiet, the vibration is actually slightly more noticeable but you forget it after a few minutes and the benefits of the gyro far outweigh.. It's also nice to have a blast of aircon occasionally when you are in the heat all day.

Really great video, recognise most places but what anchorages were at 2.22 and 2.57 ?

Yes thats the downside. I start my generator before we leave the marina in order to start the gyro and the generator stays on all day sometimes if we are at anchor. The other issue is that the gyro takes 30-40mins to spool up to speed which means it cannot just be started up when I need it so I tend to leave it on all the time. On balance its worth it for a stable boat but I wish I had a powerful enough battery pack to run the gyro for a few hours via an inverter at anchor without using the generator

I noticed on your video that you were rolling a bit at anchor sometimes which is why I mentioned the gyro!
    Yes we certainly were at times, which calls for a Mary Poppins-esque ACTION STATIONS moment as we grab hold of wine glasses. Although last week, the bigger problem was the wind which kept blowing our salad overboard!

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Yeaaa - I'm sure JFM and MikeF are right and if I were buying a new boat some form of stabilisation would be considered.
    But on this boat, we really don't have the need for it.
    The worst it has been was in the Trenc at the end of last year when the boat went side on to the swell.
    But, generally, we don't have a problem at anchor and less often under way.

And I agree with you - I don't like the generator running all the time - hence the solar panels on our eyebrow.
    That way we can get away with less than a couple of hours generator charging - am and pm.

If you are currently doing this on your Princess (a quick am/pm charge), you will find that over about 3 or 4 days away from shore supply, that your battery capacity will eventually drop to a dangerous level (well - dangerous for the batteries anyway). To avoid this, you would need to charge the batteries for longer than a couple of hours. It is a complicated subject but our solar panels "finish off" the charge cycle thus bringing the battery bank back to 100% during the day. We can then discharge overnight just like the first night away from shore supply. This technique works but most people don't understand because they don't stay away from shore power as long as us.
    In the case of your last cruise, I assume that you had a reasonably long periods where the engines were charging the batteries.

So, IMO, to avoid damaging your batteries on a long cruise you should run the generator for long periods - just a couple of hours here and there isn't good enough.
    Wise advice - thank you. As you suspected, we only have one or two days away from shore-power, and that is interspersed with running the engines to move from anchorage to anchorage, before heading to a marina to refill water tanks and connect to shower-power.
    Last edited by Scubaboy79; 05-08-19 at 17:59.

I often wonder whether slightly newer boats (ours is 2008) have better sound insulation for their generators. We don't have loads of that silver foil insulation that I see at the boat shows, so maybe the generator is less intrusive then. Still, I can certainly see the upsides - particularly being able to fire up the A/C and, of course, a gyro!

Quote Originally Posted by NGM View Post
    Really great video, recognise most places but what anchorages were at 2.22 and 2.57 ?

Thank you! 2.22 is Cala Magraner on the east coast, north of Cala d'Or and south of Porto Cristo. Not many people seem to go there and it's idyllic in the right conditions and if you get there early to secure a good spot.

2.57 is Portals Vells looking west.

PS - we had a wretched night at Porto Cristo. We arrived late - 9:30pm and they put us on the moll next to a load of charter sailing yachts and we had masses amount of swell to contend with. I shall not return unless they tell me they have a visitor's berth actually inside the marina....It was made worse by the fact that our berthing fee was EUR100 more than a night visiting Cala d'Or....

Livin' the dream, nice one!

(Typed as I look out at the pouring rain in the West of Ireland)

I’ve been thinking about fitting a poor man’s gyro. A kedge anchor on the stern so I can face the swell and wakes
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

Quote Originally Posted by Bouba View Post
    Iíve been thinking about fitting a poor manís gyro. A kedge anchor on the stern so I can face the swell and wakes
    I wouldnt bother for 2 reasons. First your boat wont swing with the others around you so you risk a collision in crowded anchorages and second the swell and, particularly, the wakes often come from different directions. Get a gyro. You know you want to especially with that nice shiny new generator that you've just bought to drive it Its a perfect man maths scenario because, of course, a gyro will increase the value of your boat by far more than its cost

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast