Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Video of Mallorca Cruise: Princess 62, July 2019

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    I wouldnt bother for 2 reasons. First your boat wont swing with the others around you so you risk a collision in crowded anchorages and second the swell and, particularly, the wakes often come from different directions. Get a gyro. You know you want to especially with that nice shiny new generator that you've just bought to drive it Its a perfect man maths scenario because, of course, a gyro will increase the value of your boat by far more than its cost
    I’d do anything for a gyro! Except ask the wife for one
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

Quote Originally Posted by Bouba View Post
    Do you want me to ask for you?

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    Do you want me to ask for you?

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Blimey, also under way, with a boat like yours that doesn't need AC to run stabs?
    I appreciate that the waste of fuel is negligible when compared to the demand of a couple of C32, but still...

Regardless, running the genset continuosly while anchored is firmly in the "OMDB" league, 'fiuaskme.
    Well, I guess I might not notice it (hence accept it) in a LŁrssen, also because such ships do need AC 24/7, but it's unlikely that I'll have to make such decision in the near future...
    I'm normally underway only an hour and cooking and/or dishwasher are running. For a longer 5 hour passage yes I would turn gensets off. So 23.5/7

When anchored one or two gens are nearly always needed for cooking, stabs or A/C. I sometimes turn them off for an hour or two in the evening if stabs aren't needed. Also i have found that on cruises where the boat is on passage for 1-2 hours a day, the heat soak from e/room to crew cabin means the crew need A/C to sleep. The C32s are 6-7 tonnes of cast iron at 80 deg when switched off, so still 60 deg after a few hours. I have fuel cooling to stop also having 3-7 tonnes of hot fuel, but the engines are the problem. The insulating bulkhead is a great job (ply/closed cell foam/ply sandwich) but with a 50-60 degrees engine room no bulkhead will prevent the crew accom being 30+ deg all night, unless I stay on one anchorage 2 days+. So even if the main accom is say 22 deg with open windows and maybe fans (running on inverter) I need to run one genset for the crew accom A/C. In which case I run stabs and main accom A/C all night too.
    Last edited by jfm; 06-08-19 at 21:27.

Iíve been thinking about fitting a poor manís gyro. A kedge anchor on the stern so I can face the swell and wakes
    Have you tried attaching a line from the anchor chain (with a chain claw hook), down near the waterline, to an aft/midship cleat, to slew the stern around and hold the bow into the consistent beam swell? Adjust your angle to the waves at the cleat.

Quote Originally Posted by AndieMac View Post
    Have you tried attaching a line from the anchor chain (with a chain claw hook), down near the waterline, to an aft/midship cleat, to slew the stern around and hold the bow into the consistent beam swell? Adjust your angle to the waves at the cleat.
    No, but I have just seen the price of an aluminum fortress anchor (easy to store easy to set by dingy) so I’ll try your method first

The gyro is the best addition to the boat ever. At anchor it is always stable. Could never have another boat without stabilisation. Next boat am hoping to replace the geny with a large battery pack and when they run low the engine kicks in to charge them. Although a gyro I expect uses too much power. Might look at some zero speed fins instead.

Anyway good video!

Ok Iím at anchor and trying to slew the boat around but I can tell you, even with a gentle breeze, it takes huge force to move the boat at the midship cleat!
    Later I might try to shift the boat with the dingy to create enough slack to tighten the rope

Ok I’m at anchor and trying to slew the boat around but I can tell you, even with a gentle breeze, it takes huge force to move the boat at the midship cleat!
    Later I might try to shift the boat with the dingy to create enough slack to tighten the rope
    Try at the stern cleat, a longer line with more leaverage. With a crew member taking up the slack on the cleat, if you could find a way to "sweat" the line, or pull the line at its halfway point sideways (same principle as pushing your foot downwards onto a tight spring line to loosen tension on a windy day), maybe a robust boat hook? As you pull up and release, the crew tightens the line on the cleat.

Try at the stern cleat, a longer line with more leaverage. With a crew member taking up the slack on the cleat, if you could find a way to "sweat" the line, or pull the line at its halfway point sideways (same principle as pushing your foot downwards onto a tight spring line to loosen tension on a windy day), maybe a robust boat hook? As you pull up and release, the crew tightens the line on the cleat.
    Ok Iíll have a go next time. Will keep everyone informed

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast