Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Video of Mallorca Cruise: Princess 62, July 2019

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    Very nicely shot and edited. I liked the speed ups- are you using adobe premiere to get them that smooth? Very nice anyway. Easy to spot carbrera, mandrago, Cala d’or and portals vells.

Looked like you could use fins or a gyro at 1.56
    Good spot - it was Final Cut Pro (as I use a Mac) and it's using the "speed ramp" tool. I realised that the original footage has to be very smooth for the speed ramp to look decent so need to be less heavy handed on the drone controls next time. But it's a good way to get in quite a bit of footage without having a 30 second long clip....

Yes we could have done with stabilisers on this trip! The east coast is always so rolly compared to the Bay of Palma, but worth it for those Calas......

Quote Originally Posted by Scubaboy79 View Post
    Thanks! On the drone, yes it has a gyro. On the boat, no gyro. On my iPhone which I used to take the non-airborne shots, also no gyro....but I used the stabilisation tool on Final Cut Pro......
    I meant the boat!

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    I meant the boat!
    Hahahaha - nope, no gyro on the boat alas....

Hahahaha - nope, no gyro on the boat alas....
    Worth having if you spend a lot of time at anchor as you seem to do

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    Worth having if you spend a lot of time at anchor as you seem to do
    You're right. Maybe for a future boat sometime. What puts me off in theory is the fact you have to run the generator to power the gyro. Or at least that's my understanding.....and we always keep the genny off when we're not making cups of tea etc so it's really peaceful.

I used to think like that. Nowadays I’m 24/7 with one genset, when not on shorepower.

You're right. Maybe for a future boat sometime. What puts me off in theory is the fact you have to run the generator to power the gyro. Or at least that's my understanding.....and we always keep the genny off when we're not making cups of tea etc so it's really peaceful.
    Yes thats the downside. I start my generator before we leave the marina in order to start the gyro and the generator stays on all day sometimes if we are at anchor. The other issue is that the gyro takes 30-40mins to spool up to speed which means it cannot just be started up when I need it so I tend to leave it on all the time. On balance its worth it for a stable boat but I wish I had a powerful enough battery pack to run the gyro for a few hours via an inverter at anchor without using the generator

I noticed on your video that you were rolling a bit at anchor sometimes which is why I mentioned the gyro!

I used to think like that. Nowadays Iím 24/7 with one genset, when not on shorepower.
    What happened to the 'quiet boat' concept?

Yeaaa - I'm sure JFM and MikeF are right and if I were buying a new boat some form of stabilisation would be considered.
    But on this boat, we really don't have the need for it.
    The worst it has been was in the Trenc at the end of last year when the boat went side on to the swell.
    But, generally, we don't have a problem at anchor and less often under way.

And I agree with you - I don't like the generator running all the time - hence the solar panels on our eyebrow.
    That way we can get away with less than a couple of hours generator charging - am and pm.

If you are currently doing this on your Princess (a quick am/pm charge), you will find that over about 3 or 4 days away from shore supply, that your battery capacity will eventually drop to a dangerous level (well - dangerous for the batteries anyway). To avoid this, you would need to charge the batteries for longer than a couple of hours. It is a complicated subject but our solar panels "finish off" the charge cycle thus bringing the battery bank back to 100% during the day. We can then discharge overnight just like the first night away from shore supply. This technique works but most people don't understand because they don't stay away from shore power as long as us.
    In the case of your last cruise, I assume that you had a reasonably long periods where the engines were charging the batteries.

So, IMO, to avoid damaging your batteries on a long cruise you should run the generator for long periods - just a couple of hours here and there isn't good enough.

I used to think like that. Nowadays Iím 24/7 with one genset, when not on shorepower.
    Blimey, also under way, with a boat like yours that doesn't need AC to run stabs?
    I appreciate that the waste of fuel is negligible when compared to the demand of a couple of C32, but still...

Regardless, running the genset continuosly while anchored is firmly in the "OMDB" league, 'fiuaskme.
    Well, I guess I might not notice it (hence accept it) in a LŁrssen, also because such ships do need AC 24/7, but it's unlikely that I'll have to make such decision in the near future...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast