Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Red face Re: Chichester Harbour restaurants

I wouldn't stroll round to his digs asking for a Mars bar unless you actually want it inserted at high velocity.

The Earl Of March is quite a few miles out of Chichester on the A286 road to Midhurst, you're not getting there in a normal tender - maybe a DUKW - but the scenery on that road is glorious, whenever going along there ( also the way to Singleton museum with ancient houses ) I always think ' if I had to show Americans a typical best of England, this is it '.

The actual Earl Of March pub looks very plain and boring from the outside - but I've noticed it's the meeting place for the Ferrari Owners Club so presumably has a lot going for it behind the door - a few good pubs on that road inc the Greyhound towards Midhurst and the Spread Eagle hotel in the town, not exactly in rowing distance from a boat in Chichester but if you can lock the tender and get a taxi...

Of the places mentioned The Richmond Arms at West Ashling was always great but I heard Roger who plastered the place with duck motifs* has moved on, no idea what it's like now but probably good, a place has to be to survive around there.

* We used to visit the Richmond Arms regularly in the late 1980's, they hold a duck race for charity, down the mill stream next door.

I remember entrant decoy ducks including one from the local magistrate named ' The Beak ' and another - this was when the New Zealanders were duffing up Dennis Connor in Stars and Stripes at the Americas Cup - the duck had a skirt around the lower section ' hiding the secret keel '
    Last edited by Seajet; 10-08-19 at 16:59.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Default Re: Chichester Harbour restaurants

Another good meal at House at Home on Friday night in Chidem and quite a crowd drinking there . In Brighton yesterday for lunch and had dire food at a hotel on the front . Helpful service but let down by quality of dishes served but maybe the regular chef was out kite surfing . Certainly made the gourmet quality on off in Chi look better. Thanks seajet for comments on others must duck into The Richmond Arms when next down at Chi.

Ashtead,

another good reason for visiting the Richmond Arms at West Ashling is it's on the old byroads parallel to and avoiding the traffic disaster Chichester bypass, if wishing to get further west to Emsworth or similar; just take the left slip road by Tangmere.

Thanks seajet yes anything but the Chi bypass always go to Force 4 via Dell quay -just off to Cote this evening -which is a good choice in absence of other venues.

THere are only two options that might fit the bill.

36 on the quay, emsworth. You can get into the marina over the sill and a few minutes walk or there is a stay afloat non walk ashore pontoon down the river. The landing at emsworth does dry so watch the tides for tendering in.

The crab and lobster at siddlesham. Its about 5 minutes from chi marina. More of a gourmet pub, but very good.

36 On The Quay always had a very good reputation, the place where RN officers take first dates to impress them; however speaking as a half - Aberdonian, beware - the last time I looked they don't put the prices on the menu, one has to smile politely then hobble to the loo and cry over the smouldering credit card !

Mother Kelly's Fish and chips in Emsworth tasted pretty gourmet good last night around 9.45pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    36 On The Quay always had a very good reputation, the place where RN officers take first dates to impress them; however speaking as a half - Aberdonian, beware - the last time I looked they don't put the prices on the menu, one has to smile politely then hobble to the loo and cry over the smouldering credit card !
    It's actually not too expensive for what and where it is. Dunno about corkage though, wine might well be be punchy:

http://www.36onthequay.com/copy-of-menu

Quote Originally Posted by FairweatherDave View Post
    Mother Kelly's Fish and chips in Emsworth tasted pretty gourmet good last night around 9.45pm.
    The best Chippy on the planet, and we've tried a few

The Coastguard Cafe Chippy on Hayling seafront is almost as good and one can park looking over the Nab & eastern Solent.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345