Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Chichester Harbour restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by ashtead View Post
    Yes the Boathouse at Chi is worth a look but dont forget they also serve food at the CYC but you might have to check timings. ...
    My experience of CYC is that they are sometimes quite sniffy about admiting visitors. We went to have a look at the club a few months ago with a view to possibly staying for supper to test the restaurant but when they realised that we kept our boat permanently in the adjoining marina, they informed us that we would not qualify as visitors and could not eat there until we had become members.

From the Needles to the Nab, from Cowes to St Catherine's

My club has a similar policy that boat owners permanently based at the nearby (commercial) marina aren't considered as visiting yachtsmen/women and would be expected to join instead.

I can think of at least one other club where the same applies
    Substance over style

Quote Originally Posted by maby View Post
    My experience of CYC is that they are sometimes quite sniffy about admiting visitors. We went to have a look at the club a few months ago with a view to possibly staying for supper to test the restaurant but when they realised that we kept our boat permanently in the adjoining marina, they informed us that we would not qualify as visitors and could not eat there until we had become members.
    Sounds a bit old school Basil Faulty genre; you took the interest in the club, to include testing the restaurant, and they told you to get lost

Puts another complexion on clubs, some of which will no doubt be soon wittering about dwindling revenues as the impending recession bites.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Grebe View Post
    My club has a similar policy that boat owners permanently based at the nearby (commercial) marina aren't considered as visiting yachtsmen/women and would be expected to join instead.

I don't really see the point of that if they have the normal rule that visitors may only visit a limited number of times per year.
    ۞

It's possibly license related.
    Or a matter of giving value to members.
    If you pay a significant membership fee, you don't expect the place to be bustling with the general public.
    You soon get to the point where people realise they can get most of the value with none of the sub.

I have visited CYC in the past but having travelled from Portsmouth maybe we were acceptable. The usual problem at the Boathouse and other on site eateries at say Gosport marina or Haslar is that they are so keen to fill up with non marine visitors that space is often in short supply .

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Sounds a bit old school Basil Faulty genre; you took the interest in the club, to include testing the restaurant, and they told you to get lost

Puts another complexion on clubs, some of which will no doubt be soon wittering about dwindling revenues as the impending recession bites.
    It may be part of conditions the club's license and in any event their membership contribute to the upkeep of the club's facilities via thier subscriptions so it wouldn't be fair on them if anyone from the thousand odd boats in the vicinity could use them at any time of thier choosing without joining the club as well.
    Substance over style

Quote Originally Posted by ashtead View Post
    I have visited CYC in the past but having travelled from Portsmouth maybe we were acceptable. The usual problem at the Boathouse and other on site eateries at say Gosport marina or Haslar is that they are so keen to fill up with non marine visitors that space is often in short supply .
    Had no problems as visitor at CYC having arrived on our own keel from the sunny climes of Gosport.

From our last visit to the Boathouse we got the impression they were becoming more geared to daytime visitors rather than those there for supper.
    Substance over style

It may be part of conditions the club's license and in any event their membership contribute to the upkeep of the club's facilities via thier subscriptions so it wouldn't be fair on them if anyone from the thousand odd boats in the vicinity could use them at any time of thier choosing without joining the club as well.
    Afraid this licence angle may be a bit of a red herring; hard to think of a licencing law disbarring the sale of alcohol to Chichester based sailors but not Pompey ones.

Re facilities, sure, the club can do what it likes: members only, member discounts, members only on say Fri/Sat, whatever it likes really. Not inherently unfair though to allow lots of outsiders; the restaurant/bar may after all be turning a tidy profit!

Substance over style

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast