Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Chichester Harbour restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by Little Grebe View Post
    I’m sorry, I still don’t get the relevance to licensing which still seems a red herring to me. An elective decision re how to define visiting yachtsmen - only enforceable if people are honest - is of course a matter entirely for the club.

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    What happens if a gourmet accidentally ingests ordinary food? Is it terrible?

And what if he tears the OP’s galley apart screaming and shouting like Gordon Ramsay?

Perhaps the Coastguard could high line in Michele Roux with his pots and pans in the event of an emergency?

I think it's the wafer thin mint that does for them...

Tow him behind in the tender and pass him pot noodles - my Dad is far from a gourmet but I'll never forget his face when we were low on stores and he tried one...
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Afraid this licence angle may be a bit of a red herring; hard to think of a licencing law disbarring the sale of alcohol to Chichester based sailors but not Pompey ones.

Re facilities, sure, the club can do what it likes: members only, member discounts, members only on say Fri/Sat, whatever it likes really. Not inherently unfair though to allow lots of outsiders; the restaurant/bar may after all be turning a tidy profit!
    It may be out of date.
    When I was more involved in a club, we could treat 'visiting yachts' as temporary members.
    Also members of other RYA clubs.
    Most members' clubs have to be pretty careful about serving the general public.

I think if your boat is based in the marina next door, if you want to use the club, you should join, in general.
    That is how clubs work.
    If a marina pub was a good idea, the marina would have one.

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    It may be out of date.
    When I was more involved in a club, we could treat 'visiting yachts' as temporary members.
    Also members of other RYA clubs.
    Most members' clubs have to be pretty careful about serving the general public.

I think if your boat is based in the marina next door, if you want to use the club, you should join, in general.
    That is how clubs work.
    If a marina pub was a good idea, the marina would have one.
    You're right about visiting yachtsmen being treated as temporary members; I'm simply pointing out that this provides no basis for distinguishing between infrequent visitors from adjacent harbours.

Re facilities; entirely up to the club. I recall arriving late at a seriously fancy Club in Maine, a far cry from my tuppence halfpenny dinghy club in Ireland!

Without anything close to the fancy attire of the bar and restaurant, we asked if there was anywhere close by to eat. They wouldn't hear of it. Great night, great people, and when we asked for the bill (ticket as they call it), "Oh no; only members can pay here !!"
    Last edited by dom; 08-08-19 at 11:39.

As some may know a solution to the conundrum which seems to be perplexing earlier respondees is for a members rate to be offered. I had thought this was standard and that members rates apply at the bar etc. This enables all to partake on basis the belong to a suitable RYA club and can observe the type of club but allows members to gain a benefit from their subs beyond lectures and mooorings at cheap rates. I agree serving general public is a bad idea not least because honest visiting yachtsman to CYC for example cannot then find a suitable place to dine as the Boathouse or equivalent has no space .

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post

That is how clubs work.
    This was triggered by my post and please don't get me wrong - I was not arguing that people with boats in the "marina next door" should be able to use the yacht club facilities on any kind of regular basis without becoming members. I was simply surprised when we popped into the club in question to have a look around with a view to possibly joining and being quite honest about out status as berth holders in the adjacent marina - the club official we spoke to made it quite clear that we would not be welcome to test the restaurant before becoming members.

Quote Originally Posted by ashtead View Post
    As some may know a solution to the conundrum which seems to be perplexing earlier respondees is for a members rate to be offered. I had thought this was standard and that members rates apply at the bar etc. This enables all to partake on basis the belong to a suitable RYA club and can observe the type of club but allows members to gain a benefit from their subs beyond lectures and mooorings at cheap rates. I agree serving general public is a bad idea not least because honest visiting yachtsman to CYC for example cannot then find a suitable place to dine as the Boathouse or equivalent has no space .
    I think that the problem with suggestions like this - as with the alternative of some form of "social level" membership at a reduced rate which does not grant access to the sailing facilities of the club - is that there is a real risk that it would have the effect of reducing the club cash flow rather than increasing it. Yacht Club membership fees around our part of the world are of the order of £300 to £500 per year - and I suspect that a significant part of the membership are making little use of the sailing facilities. If those members were to drop out and accept that they have to pay a non-member's premium on bar and restaurant prices, that premium would have to be pretty high to cover the lost membership fees. It is a question of the balance between the loss of income from existing members taking the option of reduced or zero membership fees vs. the increase of income from new people coming into the club and spending their money there.

CYC has changed a lot since the more casual times of my youth when I placed my Scorpion dinghy there to do the winter Snowflake series - but I do agree people in the marina ought to join if they want to use the facilities.

I won't say where as I don't want you lot overcrowding it, but last year a chum and I visited a little used place - the pub had shut early and the club was only doing food for a special party; on hearing our plight ( we had food onboard ) they made us meals specially, wouldn't take a penny, made sure we had the code for the showers etc next morning and couldn't have been more welcoming, this does still happen in the Solent, please note ye disparaging Scottish types !
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

By coincidence, the Garudian has just covered Chichester in its "Let's move to ...." series. It has this to say about local restaurants:

There is room for improvement in its eating scene. Most of the pulls round here are out of town (the Earl of March and the Royal Oak in the Lavants, Cassons in Tangmere or the Richmond Arms in West Ashling).
    Taxi!

I've eaten at the Millstream Hotel in Bosham which was nice, if it's still there. Also, Keith Richards has a place in West Wittering, where it is alleged that they used to serve a most unusual dish featuring a Mars Bar <smirk>.
    Itis apis spotanda bigon etoo

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast