Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Default What would you have done?

Out sailing in the Eastern Solent yesterday from Portsmouth towards Ryde, close hauled on port tack into a light SE wind, making about 4 kts.

It became apparent that three Clipper yachts in line astern and moving very slowly under engine on our port side were on a collision course. We held our course and speed and were somewhat concerned that the large number of crew on the leading yacht were all looking astern and, as they made no attempt to alter their course, we were not even sure that they had seen us.

Eventually, and rather belatedly, they did alter course to starboard and passed behind us, only for us to be berated by a very angry man who said they were on exercise, had a person in the water, and that we should have given way. Once we could see the port side of the boats, we could see that the leading yacht was actually towing a dinghy on a long line, this was alongside the second yacht, and that some form of MOB recovery appeared to be taking place.

We felt rather miffed to be berated in this way, we had no way of knowing what was going on, and felt that maintaining our course and speed was the correct action on our part. What would other forumites have done?

Default Re: What would you have done?

You clearly lack the facility of clairvoyance. From your description, it seems that there was no sign of MOB activity, and presumably no radio message beforehand, so standing on would have been normal, unless you subscribe to the 'small give way to large' theory. I think I would have carried on and put it down to one of those things before posting about it on Scuttlebutt.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Rule #1 always is to avoid collisions. Omitting the "small give way to large" discussion: if you see something that the other boat apparantly did not see then it is up to you to avoid a collision.

If the other boat would have had plenty of people onboard then at least someone should have paid attention to the surroundings - including big ships - and try to contact them by radio when needed, because other ships don't know what is going on.

Five hoots,

In conversation with the lad , I would probably would have asked where in the irpcs on exercise was mentioned.

If really annoyed I may have suggested training on keeping a good lookout over the vhf.

Most likely I would have kept calm and carried on.

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    You clearly lack the facility of clairvoyance. From your description, it seems that there was no sign of MOB activity, and presumably no radio message beforehand, so standing on would have been normal, unless you subscribe to the 'small give way to large' theory. I think I would have carried on and put it down to one of those things before posting about it on Scuttlebutt.
    Complain direct to Clipper.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty123 View Post
    Complain direct to Clipper.
    Good luck with that. IIRC, it's now about 3.5 years since I emailed them a complaint about radio procedure. Yep, nothing heard.

"We're on exercise" I suppose it makes a change from "We're racing".

Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Richards Bay East Coast Africa

Quote Originally Posted by sailor211 View Post
    Five hoots,

In conversation with the lad , I would probably would have asked where in the irpcs on exercise was mentioned.

If really annoyed I may have suggested training on keeping a good lookout over the vhf.

Most likely I would have kept calm and carried on.
    I agree five toots "your intentions are unclear"
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

The failure lies entirely with the Clipper yachts who, if they were undertaking an exercise which needed them to stand on in all circumstances, should have had someone on watch to warn other potential collision vessels by VHF. Provided that you always had sufficient time and space to take avoiding action if the Clipper yacht had not done so, you are 100% in the right.

Richard

I hope I'd have had the presence of mind to shout back "where's your balls and diamond, then?", if they were claiming to be restricted by the nature of their activities. Not that I'd seriously expect a yacht playing silly-buggers with someone on the end of a rope to actually display shapes, but if they don't do anything to make their situation apparent then they shouldn't be surprised when people treat their motoring yacht as a motoring yacht. Really they're lucky you didn't decide "these idiots haven't seen me, I'm going to take my option to manoeuvre now and duck under their stern". Especially if you happen to sail something with a snag-resistant long keel and an effective rope-cutter

At the end of the day you didn't do anything wrong and nothing very bad happened. It's a pity that Shouty Man probably still thinks he's in the right because you didn't use your powers of telepathy or X-ray vision, but he's the one who has to live with his stress and blood-pressure, not you.

Pete

Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast