Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910
Results 91 to 100 of 100
  1. #91
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Fareham
    Posts
    6,632

    Default Re: What would you have done?

    Quote Originally Posted by scotty123 View Post
    Expert in Maritime Law?
    So in poor viz, you are bouncing along at 25knts & see something with a sail in front.
    Which way is it heading?
    Maybe slow down a bit and have a better look?
    ۞

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    West London
    Posts
    2,625

    Default Re: What would you have done?

    Quote Originally Posted by DJE View Post
    Maybe slow down a bit and have a better look?
    He was in a hurry.

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: What would you have done?

    Quote Originally Posted by scotty123 View Post
    He was in a hurry.
    Rule 6?

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,502

    Default Re: What would you have done?

    Quote Originally Posted by Resolution View Post
    Rule 6?
    Safe speed? Hard to argue with that!

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Home UK Midlands / Boat Croatia
    Posts
    19,805

    Default Re: What would you have done?

    Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Safe speed? Hard to argue with that!
    But why would I be bothered which way the sailing boat is heading anyway? It's poor visibility so all bets are off.

    Richard

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    West London
    Posts
    2,625

    Default Re: What would you have done?

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    But why would I be bothered which way the sailing boat is heading anyway? It's poor visibility so all bets are off.

    Richard
    It wasn't a "sailing boat" though was it, or are you also confused by the lack of cone.

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Richards Bay East Coast Africa
    Posts
    7,028

    Default Re: What would you have done?

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    image: http://www.ybw.com/forums/images/ybw...quote_icon.png

    Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible
    image: http://www.ybw.com/forums/images/ybw...post-right.png

    An Ex is a has been.

    A 'spert' is a drip under pressure.

    image: http://www.ybw.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.png






    Wowser Captain ... did you think of that yourself?

    Richard

    I've been using that for years, as I am a "has been" and when under pressure never smoke but do burst into flames, so need a drip under pressure (spert) to put me out.
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Home UK Midlands / Boat Croatia
    Posts
    19,805

    Default Re: What would you have done?

    Quote Originally Posted by scotty123 View Post
    It wasn't a "sailing boat" though was it, or are you also confused by the lack of cone.
    You said that it was at sea, had a sail in front and had a heading and is therefore presumably something which moves, so prima facie, that would suggest that it is a "sailing boat". However, as I explained, in poor visibility it doesn't matter what kind of boat it is, whether it has a cone or where its heading to .... from a ColRegs viewpoint.

    Richard

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    West London
    Posts
    2,625

    Default Re: What would you have done?

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    You said that it was at sea, had a sail in front and had a heading and is therefore presumably something which moves, so prima facie, that would suggest that it is a "sailing boat". However, as I explained, in poor visibility it doesn't matter what kind of boat it is, whether it has a cone or where its heading to .... from a ColRegs viewpoint.

    Richard
    But doesn't suggest it was a "sailing boat" operating as a 'motor powered vessel', with manouvring capability to match. "My vessel was motor sailing so could easily manoeuvre"
    Last edited by scotty123; 19-08-19 at 16:42.

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Home UK Midlands / Boat Croatia
    Posts
    19,805

    Default Re: What would you have done?

    Quote Originally Posted by scotty123 View Post
    But doesn't suggest it was a "sailing boat" operating as a 'motor powered vessel', with manouvring capability to match. "My vessel was motor sailing so could easily manoeuvre"
    Errrr .... I may well possess of the UK's top legal minds but the relevance of that certainly has me stumped.

    Richard

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to