Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Default Re: What would you have done?

I think I'd have just put a tack in and forgotten about it.

I did see a clipper yacht doing a mob drill in the Solent not long ago and they did announce it on the VHF on that occasion. I wanted to try slip in and pinch their dummy but the wife wouldn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by JBJag27 View Post
    I did see a clipper yacht doing a mob drill in the Solent not long ago and they did announce it on the VHF on that occasion. I wanted to try slip in and pinch their dummy but the wife wouldn't have it.
    All you had to do was disguise yourself as a sandbank.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Yes, one of horrible holes in IRPCS is the failure to define things like "in good time". Two different vessels might have wildly difefrent, but equally reasonable, notions of when a risk of collision arises. ...
    I think the 'horrible hole' is a feature not a bug, to ensure the Rules work for all kinds of vessels, and for 'widely different, but equally reasonable,notions'.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlin Karcher View Post
    I think the 'horrible hole' is a feature not a bug, to ensure the Rules work for all kinds of vessels, and for 'widely different, but equally reasonable,notions'.
    Its for pedants and lawyers to squabble over whilst sailors get on with sailing.

Most of us have been tweaked at some time by others relying on stand-on provisions of COL REGS and so raising the chances of collision. I do think the training schools have a share of blame to assume over this issue, teaching it as some form of right when common sense dictates the contrary.

After 35 years of sailing European waters I would advise anyone not to place any faith in stand-on being sensibly applied; the overarching duty of all navigators is at all times to passage so as to minimise the risk of collision. Full stop. If that means hanging back in an impending close encounter etc so be it.

PWG

Agreed, as long as one makes ones' intentions very clear; no surprise to anyone I was once given the book ' How To Be A Wally ' - the Highway Code section shows three Capri's at a roundabout all dithering as to who's on the right, than all going for it at the same time resulting in a mangled heap in the middle
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    Agreed, as long as one makes ones' intentions very clear;
    Indeed .... although I doubt whether the stand on vessel "hanging back" is ever going to meet your sensible criteria.

Richard

Boat - Clyde, Home - Overlooking the Tamar

The trouble with applying this “preemptive defensive’ strategy of the COLREGS is that this will confuse the professionals who expect a vessel to stand on when it should do. What freaks the commercial guys is when WAFIs start various defensive shenanigans when they are not expecting such action. So one often finds oneself between a rock and a hard place in deciding whether to stand on where one should......or not.....

Quote Originally Posted by Robih View Post
    The trouble with applying this “preemptive defensive’ strategy of the COLREGS is that this will confuse the professionals who expect a vessel to stand on when it should do.
    OK then ... with how long to go before impact do you consider that a risk of collision exists?
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    OK then ... with how long to go before impact do you consider that a risk of collision exists?
    When it gets to the point where I won't be able to get out of the way with at least twice the length of the target boat between me and it?

Richard

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast