Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Default Re: What would you have done?

I've encountered clipper when they almost squeezed me onto a buoy, I don't think they saw me until far too late, so I go along with keep clear of them.

They used to tell Solent they were doing training with a life-like dummy. That used to be on 16 for all to hear.

That didn't seem to be to ask for IRPCS changes but to reduce the risk of some do gooder calling 999 to report a person falling overboard...

Quote Originally Posted by PHN View Post
    That would mean a scuba diver in a stationary position.
    Divers can be at the surface and can be found undertaking a drift dive. Saying that most of the dive boats in Scapa Flow have a permanant A flag painted on their vessel.

Can you suggest any other signal that could be used for a "swimmer" in the water.

Perhaps you would prefer O, for man overboard?
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.
    Gib'Sea 96 owner

Returned to South Coast from West Coast of Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Yup, as you have found, blubbin to teacher is a waste of time.

To OP, thanks for raising it, its annoying but hey, general life I reckon. Lots of incidents happen all the time but as long as its just egos, well hey ho. Plenty of times Ive thought of a great rant sometime after, you politely refrained from that!

What would I have done? Five toots, probably and then sailed around them and made conversation. Or just carried on and filed it under whatever.

What would I have done if I was organising the excersise? Put a well briefed lookout on the bow to hail and ask nicely for peeps to alter with the explanation why. thirty or more yards, no problem. Or when in the dim and distant past I was doing this for a magazine article in probably a similar spot, we used a safety boat to bimble around with the same instructions.

Still, no doubt the blubbers (except Stingo ) are the same people who go off on one if Clipper has an unfortunate accident and go on and on about poor training.......
    I like your relaxed, easy going style.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
    They used to tell Solent they were doing training with a life-like dummy. That used to be on 16 for all to hear.

That didn't seem to be to ask for IRPCS changes but to reduce the risk of some do gooder calling 999 to report a person falling overboard...

“Life-like dummy” ......why do you say “do gooder”?

If they can't cope with a small alteration in course to retrieve a MOB, god help anyone else falls in to the Southern Ocean. They'll have more than other vessels to complain about. And why do they do this in one of the busiest areas of recreational and commercial shipping in the entire UK and in peak holiday season and on a weekend ???

I would have done exactly as you did for all the reasons above.

My encounter was around 3.00 pm.

If the whole crew had not apparently been gazing astern, they might have picked me up on AIS and called me on DSC. I would have been happy to tack round them if I was aware of what they were doing.

If the Clipper organisation don't respond to emails I suppose you could try QHM's incident report system.
    https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/qhm/por...rt-an-incident

Quote Originally Posted by PhillM View Post
    Oi leave us “blue flags” out of this. Hopefully not all of us are “numties/muppets”
    Sorry, I don't feel the need to rigorously check exactly what fraction of blue flags signify muppets.
    For a quiet enjoyable sail around the Solent, doing our best to give ourselves space from anyone we even suspect of being a muppet works for us.
    It's a bit like riding a motorbike in traffic. 90% of those white van drivers might be considerate and awake, but that's not the point!

Actually there is a serious point here, raising your awareness of what's happening 360 degrees around is always something to work on. When we were more serious about racing, we used to have a quick 'how could we have handled that better?' discussion afterwards. How might we have guessed that matey would tack where he did etc etc. There are often little clues in the way a boat is being sailed.

Blue flags are not a good way of showing one's situation. I have been able to spot them on occasion, but they don't stand out to a casual looker. Once, in Braye when we were landing in our dinghy with outboard we were remonstrate by another inflatable for approaching while they had a diver down, just by the pontoon. I pointed out that a flag on a windless day flopping down against its pole was not exactly helpful, and by the next time I passed it had been modified with a support to make it stand out like the US flag on the moon.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast