Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Default Re: What would you have done?

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    Sorry, I don't feel the need to rigorously check exactly what fraction of blue flags signify muppets.
    For a quiet enjoyable sail around the Solent, doing our best to give ourselves space from anyone we even suspect of being a muppet works for us.
    Well indeed, most people think the racing fleets are a bunch of selfish muppets but probably arent rude enpugh to say so.....

However in my view, having been in the Solent on racing boats, commercial boats, school yachts as Instructor and on my very own Blue Ensigned yacht, Im happy to understand that everyone is entitled to be there and should share with good humour and seamanship.

Its great to get out on the water and leave the landsmans attitudes behind.

Quote Originally Posted by mainsail1 View Post
    I like your relaxed, easy going style.
    Thank you

I had one of the Clipper yachts try to kill me a few years ago in a classic port tack/starboard tack encounter. In a serious incident like that, a CHIRP report was appropriate, but probably not in a relatively benign incident like this. If someone does something properly dangerous, the CHIRP system is worth remembering.

https://www.chirp.co.uk/

All the same, daft to be out on a busy weekend like that to do training and not post a specific lookout on each boat.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    You clearly lack the facility of clairvoyance. From your description, it seems that there was no sign of MOB activity, and presumably no radio message beforehand, so standing on would have been normal, unless you subscribe to the 'small give way to large' theory. I think I would have carried on and put it down to one of those things before posting about it on Scuttlebutt.
    I think posting about it here is fine, since the occasionally lethal peculiarities of the Clipper outfit have been discussed before.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Still, no doubt the blubbers (except Stingo ) are the same people who go off on one if Clipper has an unfortunate accident and go on and on about poor training.......
    Who, the MAIB? Still, it's nice to hear that they do some training, even if a MOB recovery procedure which requires two or three yachts to remain exactly in line a few dozen yards apart doesn't seem immediately applicable to ocean voyages. I wonder if shouty man also shouts at sand banks to get out of the way.
    Last edited by JumbleDuck; 05-08-19 at 12:31.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Who, the MAIB? Still, it's nice to hear that they do some training, even if a MOB recovery procedure which requires two or three yachts to remain exactly in line a few dozen yards apart doesn't seem immediately applicable to ocean voyages. I wonder if shouty man also shouts at sand banks to get out of the way.
    Those foreign bloody sand banks. Like that South African bank which refused to give way to the Clipper boat. The beach didn't even put up two balls or red over red.

We used a A flag painted on plywood, to avoid that.

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Those foreign bloody sand banks. Like that South African bank which refused to give way to the Clipper boat. The beach didn't even put up two balls or red over red.

Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Richards Bay East Coast Africa

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Sailing west towards cape point we came across a "vessels" on AIS whose status was "Underway" when we got close we found it was a fixed gas production platform.

Reminds me of the US aircraft carrier captain who wanted a lighthouse to give way.
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    QED.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast