Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Help with Volvo Penta AQ205A Petrol V6

Hello all,
    Been reading for a wee while but two weeks ago bought a boat, its an older one, its a Cruiser International 224 Holiday ( approx. 30yr old ) with a Volvo Penta AQ205A petrol v6 3lt only been out a few very short trips in and out the harbour until today, when after approx. 45mins the revs dropped slightly, the engine stuttered and the oil pressure dropped from approx. 50psi to 20psi or thats what it said , the engine had been starting and and running fine up until then, had it up to nearly 20knots for a short period but sitting nice at 10-13knots ( we had a nice flat calm in Ayrshire today ). I dropped down to about 2,000 revs and 5-6knots and pottered back in to the marina, didn't wanto push it too hard. Then the oil pressure dropped to about 10 well that's what the gauge said as I slowed right down for berthing. Once stopped & tied up, I tried to restart the engine in neutral but wouldn't. Left is half an hour and started fine, but oil pressure only went to 20 but did rise to 40'ish when rev'd. I think I'll need to get somebody to look at it, but just wondered if anybody by chance had same/similar boat/engine combination or if anybody has had any similar things happen and could provide any suggestions that I could look at or try myself before calling in the pros. There is plenty oil and I've already cleaned out the metal gause filter previously as it was pretty grotty.
    Thanks for looking and any suggestions,
    Regards.
    Gordon.

Default Re: Help with Volvo Penta AQ205A Petrol V6

Hi there.
    Very familiar with this aq205 and 290 combination. Had one in a sealine 218 for years and currently service a friends.
    You didnít have me too concerned up until you said it cut out. The old vdo gauges on these (likely about 89/90) are now really terrible for accuracy. But the fact that itís cut out is a concern.
    These 4.3 (not 3.0) V6 GM engines are in my opinion likely about the best engine ever put in a boat. They rarely go wrong apart from co sumable items like risers and manifolds. For your oil pressure to actually drop right off Iíd be suspecting perhaps water ingress by means of rotten risers or exhausts (as above). Usually told by a slow or cutting out tick over speed and moisture on the plugs after inspection. In the case of this gone unnoticed, then symptoms like yours would be a sign. Water thins the oil and oil pressure drops off. Your idle pressure should be around the 40 psi mark all being healthy and t stat working.
    Iíd also ask what oil you have in her. Should be a good mineral 15w40. But I suspect your issue is likely related to what Iíve said above. Have a look at the oil and plugs for water. Most common issue these see. About the only issue really.
    If the above is correct, all is not lost. These engines are that strong, Iíve often seen the sump riddled with water and run for hours and hours in such a state...then oil changed. New oil...ran for a while to flush...more oil and filter. All good.

Excellent, thanks for the input, I'll check that out hopefully this weekend or early next week.
    Not added any oil myself, so not sure whats in it, but there is no sludge on dipstick or oil cap.

Not had any luck resolving issues, until one afternoon last month the engine screetched to a halt . On investigation and to cut a long storey short the crank shaft had snapped and damaged pistons etc, and on investigation as part of a full engine removal and strip down there was valve issues, camshaft scores, baring damage to be seen. So bottom line I've ordered a new , well reconditioned engine and that should be delivered in a couple of weeks time.
    In the interim while the engine is out I'm looking at the outdrive the 290 duo prop setup. So my first step was to remove the cone and the first propeller but to remove the second there is a specific socket/ tool required in order to remove the securing nut for the second propeller, this is where I'm after somebody's help that perhaps has one if these tools its seemingly Volvo Penta p/n 873058, so is there anybody locally in scotland or north of England that has one for sale, rent or loan of to allow me to carry out the removal of this special nut to allow access to remove the second propeller to get them refurbished and repainted and to allow access to replace the almost workout anode. While on the subject of purchasing, renting or getting a loan of is the Volvo Penta AQ205A engine alignment tool for when the engine is ready to be reinstalled.
    Thanks in advance for anybody that can potentially help me out in all of this.
    Thanks ,
    Gordon from Ayr, South Ayrshire, Scotland.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F264138968069
    You can order that kit from the usa but to be honest you could make something with a piece of pipe and a grinder prety easy.
    Ive used stilsons in the past to get them off.
    Where in ayrshire are you we are in Ardrossan marina

Quote Originally Posted by Monty28 View Post
    Not had any luck resolving issues, until one afternoon last month the engine screetched to a halt . On investigation and to cut a long storey short the crank shaft had snapped and damaged pistons etc, and on investigation as part of a full engine removal and strip down there was valve issues, camshaft scores, baring damage to be seen. So bottom line I've ordered a new , well reconditioned engine and that should be delivered in a couple of weeks time.
    In the interim while the engine is out I'm looking at the outdrive the 290 duo prop setup. So my first step was to remove the cone and the first propeller but to remove the second there is a specific socket/ tool required in order to remove the securing nut for the second propeller, this is where I'm after somebody's help that perhaps has one if these tools its seemingly Volvo Penta p/n 873058, so is there anybody locally in scotland or north of England that has one for sale, rent or loan of to allow me to carry out the removal of this special nut to allow access to remove the second propeller to get them refurbished and repainted and to allow access to replace the almost workout anode. While on the subject of purchasing, renting or getting a loan of is the Volvo Penta AQ205A engine alignment tool for when the engine is ready to be reinstalled.
    Thanks in advance for anybody that can potentially help me out in all of this.
    Thanks ,
    Gordon from Ayr, South Ayrshire, Scotland.
    Gordon.

Sounds very much like you had water in the oil from the usual means. The exhausts. Failing that...no or diluted oil.

Anyway. With the 290dp. There is a tool for that to remove...but very few folk use it. You just need a blunt thing to hit a dunt to with a hammer. A brass dolly or careful dink with a heavy screw driver will get it. The brass dolly would be better obviously.

Thanks, my boat is currently on hard standing at Ardrossan marina, will need to get something made up, just need to get dimensions, get pipe and start grinding. Thanks for help and suggestions.

Thanks, my boat is currently on hard standing at Ardrossan marina, will need to get something made up, just need to get dimensions, get pipe and start grinding. Thanks for help and suggestions.
    did you not read post 5

Thanks yes, the tool looks like it's available from the states, or as suggested can make something, so that's probably what I'll try to do first. Cheers.

Thanks yes, the tool looks like it's available from the states, or as suggested can make something, so that's probably what I'll try to do first. Cheers.
    Our boat is in Ardrossan if there's anything I can help out with give me a shout ive had those props off several times without the proper tools

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast