Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Overheating

Default Re: Overheating

Quote Originally Posted by FARSCO View Post
    I just top up via the expansion tank then crack the small coolant return line union on the turbo whilst running to bleed.
    Ah ok thanks. I'll do that.. I just fill at that point through the hose as it's the highest point but just assumed that air would be forced out of the pressure cap.
    ...... could it be that simple!!

I dont crack anything. I fill the expansion tank and then squeeze the hose going to the heat exchanger from the thermostat in a pumping action till I cant hear it bubbling any more. Run the engine for a couple minutes and top up.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
    I dont crack anything. I fill the expansion tank and then squeeze the hose going to the heat exchanger from the thermostat in a pumping action till I cant hear it bubbling any more. Run the engine for a couple minutes and top up.
    Ok..I'd probably just get coolant leaking if I cracked that top hose. I'll give the lower hose a squeeze.
    Decided I'll pull the oil cooler off for a look inside as I'm halfway in anyway. Give me even more access to get around the engine for a good clean and check.
    Thanks for all suggestions 👍

In the Volvo manual it says (VERY unusual for engines though) That the coolant level must be measured when the engine is WARM! (not cold). For my KAD 300 it means that the correct level of coolant when cold is right at the minimum mark. After I got this message I have never topped coolant.

Quote Originally Posted by About Time View Post
    In the Volvo manual it says (VERY unusual for engines though) That the coolant level must be measured when the engine is WARM! (not cold). For my KAD 300 it means that the correct level of coolant when cold is right at the minimum mark. After I got this message I have never topped coolant.
    Guess that fits with what's been said, that you don't fill the header tank to the full mark.
    Thanks👍

Quote Originally Posted by Wobbo View Post
    Guess that fits with what's been said, that you don't fill the header tank to the full mark.
    Thanks👍

Also on slightly different subject I let the engine oil find its own level I was always topping the oil up then I read something about over filling it , I was obsessed with keeping it on full mark on the dipstick, And was putting oil in every trip now I leave it and goes down to nearly the low mark but once it gets there it stays there all season with absolutely no topping up , my engine is kad42 but there virtually the same engine as yours but with 2 more cylinders

Quote Originally Posted by Restoration man View Post
    Also on slightly different subject I let the engine oil find its own level I was always topping the oil up then I read something about over filling it , I was obsessed with keeping it on full mark on the dipstick, And was putting oil in every trip now I leave it and goes down to nearly the low mark but once it gets there it stays there all season with absolutely no topping up , my engine is kad42 but there virtually the same engine as yours but with 2 more cylinders
    Luckily the oils ok. Did have a leaky crankshaft oil seal which has now been done. Fairly simple job once we made up a puller. Shall be down the boat tomorrow having a look at the oil cooler....which is probably going to mean compressor off for access. Should be a laugh!!

Got the engine in bits! Blown out for diving this weekend anyway so why not!!
    We've had oily mess build up in the bilge no matter what we do and we do like a spangly clean bilge, it's become an obsession! After the strip down I found the pipe from the engine block to the breather up top was just hanging down. There's a hose venting up top as well to the filter but a certain amount is going back down the pipe and running into our bilge. The place where it should connect was bunged up with sikaflex and a 5p!!!!
    Why would they do that!!!!???
    Got the oil cooler off after a fight and some holes were bunged up with stones and a fair amount of mud. Good to get it clean but doubt it's the cause of our instant overheating. All hoses are clear, no blockage anywhere in raw or fresh system. And a clean bilge yayy.
    Finish putting it back together today and see what occurs...

Fukin boats...well after tearing the thing apart and putting it back together safe in the knowledge there are no blockages,it ran and then it overheated. Bassssstard.
    We are 100% sure raw is ok so drank some beer and took a long hard look at the fresh side. And...the pumps broken.
    There's no coolant circulating. Got the thing of after much ball ache and the front spins lovely but the impeller is not turning so something has snapped. Which accounts for a sudden overheating.
    How's that come apart then vp358839702

U need a new pump, that’s not repairabubble.

>>Edit - impeller and shaft should still be available.
    Last edited by FlowerPower; 11-08-19 at 20:24.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast