Default West Mersea Yacht Club Round the Island race

To day was the WMYC RTI race.

There were very few entries perhaps 20 or 25. It was only a few years ago there were over 150.

I wondered what had changed, and then I read the WMYC website and it said "This year we welcome once again entries from Windsurfer Raceboards, Rowing boats (Gigs/Skiffs),dinghies and catamarans." How can you sensibly handicap "Windsurfer Raceboards, Rowing boats (Gigs/Skiffs)."?

I know it is a fun event, but if there is no sensible organization, why do WMYC think people will enter?

Also the entry fee is £20 ... This just seems like greed, I would not pay WMYC £20 just to sail my boat round the Island, when I can do so for nothing
    I respect my elders, but I can't find many now

Default West Mersea Yacht Club Round the Island race

There were very few entries perhaps 20 or 25. It was only a few years ago there were over 150.

I wondered what had changed, and then I read the WMYC website and it said "This year we welcome once again entries from Windsurfer Raceboards, Rowing boats (Gigs/Skiffs),dinghies and catamarans." How can you sensibly handicap "Windsurfer Raceboards, Rowing boats (Gigs/Skiffs)."?

I know it is a fun event, but if there is no sensible organization, why do WMYC think people will enter?

Also the entry fee is £20 ... This just seems like greed, I would not pay WMYC £20 to sail my boat round the Island, when I can do so for nothing

Default Re: West Mersea Yacht Club Round the Island race

Quote Originally Posted by DavidofMersea View Post

Also the entry fee is £20 ... This just seems like greed, I would not pay WMYC £20 to sail my boat round the Island, when I can do so for nothing
    were prizes offered, perhaps entertainment after or even a bbq.
    Some members must be away on the Fastnet & Cowes Week

From the Needles to the Nab, from Cowes to St Catherine's

Going round Mersea island requires lifting boats across a road causeway.

I doubt many competitors's boats in the Fastnet would be capable of that without hiring a crane
    Substance over style

Quote Originally Posted by Old Harry View Post
    were prizes offered, perhaps entertainment after or even a bbq.
    Some members must be away on the Fastnet & Cowes Week
    I believe there is only one trophy, The Coconut Cup, which you keep for a year. I have not heard of any entertainment, BBQ, etc