Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What is going on at Tollesbury Marina

Its a real shame as we really like it there The restaurant is excellent!! Sadly we no longer visit because of the silting problem! Others we talk to also feel the same way and it has also now disappeared from the sailing club calendar - because of this reason!! PLEASE PLEASE dredge and we will all return!
    Yacht: French Connection / Jeanneau 37

Quote Originally Posted by Ianqv View Post
    Its a real shame as we really like it there The restaurant is excellent!! Sadly we no longer visit because of the silting problem! Others we talk to also feel the same way and it has also now disappeared from the sailing club calendar - because of this reason!! PLEASE PLEASE dredge and we will all return!
    We've just arrived in Tollesbury, although we only draw 0.8m. Will post an update at low tide!
    Someone more informed will come along any minute

It's no problem for those of us whose boats live in a mud berth but I can understand others being reticent to go there. But I can't imagine that 'mud will stick' if you're there for just one or two days.
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

Sail on the Medway, Kent from Chatham Maritime Marina

I have not been to Tollesbury Marina since the early 1990's. I hate sitting in mud, so on return to the Medway I decide to scrub and was surprised at how much mud had stuck to the clean antifouling. At that time I had only a 5ft 6in draft and was told I must leave the following day as I would become neaped with an inadequate tidal rise to cross the sill for at least 4 days. So I have never returns and have no intention of ever visiting again.
    If my foresight was as good as my hindsight, I would be a multi-millionaire.

We've been here for a couple of days, and there is about a meter of water on E pontoon at LW, and it seems much more on the pontoons near the office. There is only about a foot and half of water in parts of the channel at LW.

The staff have been amazing, really friendly and helpful. The food at the Harbour View is exemplary, the best marina restaurant we've experienced so far. The guys in the yard are aware of the problems, and were honest about the situation. They are really proud of Tollesbury and seemed genuinely upset that it wasn't where it should be and were determined to get it back to it's former glory.

All told we've been really impressed and can't wait to visit again
    Someone more informed will come along any minute

Also if you like Curry, 'Ruby's' at Tolleshunt D'Arcy up the road is excellent. Friends have joined and agreed it is good and come again. D'Arcy is too far up the road to walk and there is no taxi as far as I know. But Ruby's will deliver and has a good service. Unfortunately they no longer deliver to the pontoon on account of the new parking monitoring - long enough to deliver to the boat causes a £100 fine - everything on cameras. So the driver will be asking the customer to meet at the gates. But it's a great meal: 01621-868942. (Oh PS, they don't have a licence at the moment - bring your own if you get a lift)
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

Quote Originally Posted by tillergirl View Post
    Also if you like Curry, 'Ruby's' at Tolleshunt D'Arcy up the road is excellent. Friends have joined and agreed it is good and come again. D'Arcy is too far up the road to walk and there is no taxi as far as I know. But Ruby's will deliver and has a good service. Unfortunately they no longer deliver to the pontoon on account of the new parking monitoring - long enough to deliver to the boat causes a £100 fine - everything on cameras. So the driver will be asking the customer to meet at the gates. But it's a great meal: 01621-868942. (Oh PS, they don't have a licence at the moment - bring your own if you get a lift)
    It really is darkest Essex, innit?

It's about 20 minutes walk into town, but we found the Kings Head Pub does great food and the welcome is very friendly. It's by the town square.

We were there a week ago, the starboard side of C pontoon (as you enter) had plenty of water, we draw 1.5m and didn't touch at low water. The port side of C was a different matter, certainly at the cill end, where the water depth was about 50cm at low water .... And the restaurant was very good, especially the clams and chorizo ��
    Last edited by RivalRedwing; 18-08-19 at 12:01.

We looked at the pub yet again a few weeks ago and thought it didn't do any food at all?!
    Anyway the grub at the marina really is very good indeed at the moment.
    But then so is Ruby's as Tillergirl describes. But then he did take us there!
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12