Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Temporary mooring for a Topper - Stupid idea?

HI all

Launching / beaching the Topper through the breaking waves is a pain, especially when just coming ashore for a short break.

We have a couple of what look like fishing buoys in the garden, so I've been mulling over the idea of using a folding grapnel anchor to hold one down and use is as a temporary mooring just beyond the breaking waves and then swim / paddle board to the Topper.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks
    Someone more informed will come along any minute

Default Re: Temporary mooring for a Topper - Stupid idea?

I think it might capsize if there are waves or wind.

We have some pickup buoys at our inland club that you can use while stashing a trolley. Work fine.

But grapnel?

If a folding grapnel was a reliable anchor, we'd all have them on our bigger boats.

Nothing otherwise wrong with the idea. You'd wind the sail around the mast and remove the dagger board of course. And if need be lay the mast down on deck.

You see Toppers hanging off the back of anchored cruisers. Your idea is not much different.

Be aware, but not too bothered, that your standard dinghy insurance may not cover the boat if unattended and not ashore. After all, what can happen to a Topper riding to a decent anchor...

Oh and you ideally want to release the main foot to just flap

We use folding grapnels to anchor our club RIBs. I don't know why, we use other sorts of anchors for racing marks.
    But the grapnels work OK. It's not something you're going to sit out a gale on.
    If they didn't work, we'd soon change them.
    Don't forget it will probably be 5kg of grapnel for 50 kg of boat, in a few metres of water with a >5:1 scope.
    I'd still be fearful of the Topper capsizing, but maybe they are more stable unloaded than most dinghies?
    I tried mooring my old Laser while fetched the trolley, it didn't go well!
    I too have seen small dinghies moored off the back of cruisers, I've done it with the Laser, but I took the mast out, which is a game changer as they say. It's easy to step a mast from alongside a cruiser, bit of a trauma at anchor.

Yes it is simple, just moor and if windy, capsize it with a basic bit of flotation.It will sit quite happily there on its side and is easily righted when needed. Standard practice at various outdoor centres Iíve been at.
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)

Quote Originally Posted by ctva View Post
    Yes it is simple, just moor and if windy, capsize it with a basic bit of flotation.It will sit quite happily there on its side and is easily righted when needed. Standard practice at various outdoor centres I’ve been at.
    Masthead float you mean?
    That would work, but you might not want the boom hitting the sea floor?

Subject to anchor or weight being sufficient and a capsize proof or recovery system, you could use a whip mooring with the boat on an endless line via a block at the weight / anchor to pull it closer inshore when re-alighting.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Thanks all.

I'm not talking about leaving it for long or in very windy conditions, and we'll be able to see it all times.

I have a folding grapnel on the big boat as a kedge which we've never used which is why I was thinking of using one of those.
    Someone more informed will come along any minute

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast