Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Weather looks a little fruity this fri/sat

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    All the same data anyway, I like windy as there's so much in there, satellite images, ship reports, live radar, recent wind history against forecasts and easy comparison of the different models. Great site
    yeah pretty much, they all get updated at different times though, windy also has a great mobile / tablet app too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Sailing View Post
    yeah pretty much, they all get updated at different times though, windy also has a great mobile / tablet app too.
    Opencpn is great as well once you get into it, overlaying synoptics with gribs and satellite images can be educational, helps to recognise the fronts in the gribs.

Take a thought for all the boats and crews still out in the Irish Sea doing the Fastnet race...

We took the (difficult) decision to turn back just 40 miles short of the Fastnet Rock. Carrying on would have meant a further ten hour beat, followed by a lighter wind, becalmed for a few hours 40 miles NW of the scillies then a possible beat into 45mph SE winds all the rest of the way back...

We were fortunate enough to be able to download up to date weather GRIBS all the way so were aware that the forecast was fairly consistent.. We're now just heading into Plymouth after a lovely sail back.

Yacht tracker here...

https://www.rolexfastnetrace.com/com...fleet-tracking

I was looking forward to watching the Swale barge match on Saturday. Might try watching from the shore at Seasalter if they don't cancel it. It was blowing a bit when we were on the Cambria last year without any noticeable affect so perhaps it will go ahead.

Martin

Usually at a lifeboat station, somewhere in Southern England......

Quote Originally Posted by martinriches View Post
    I was looking forward to watching the Swale barge match on Saturday. Might try watching from the shore at Seasalter if they don't cancel it. It was blowing a bit when we were on the Cambria last year without any noticeable affect so perhaps it will go ahead.

Martin

From the Kentish Sail Association website:

The 2019 Swale Match, Saturday 10th August

Having taken careful note of the developing depression due over the UK at the weekend, along with associated winds of 40 mph, the Committee have regretfully taken the decision to cancel this year's Swale Match; it's a disappointing decision to have to take but the only sensible option.

Next year's Match will be on the 15th August, not the 8th as advertised in some places. We'll hope for some gentler summer weather.

The Boardmasters Festival at Newlyn has been called off due to the predicted bad weather.
    Gosport NCI - Call us on Ch 65 for a radio check if passing.

Oh well next year then

Certainly my planned bimble up and down the S Cornish Coast is out for next week. For a start getting dinghy to the yacht across half mile of turbulent Tamar is likely to be so frightening that we would have to hide away with calming brandy for a week. And then six hour of seasickness once we get out of Plymouth Sound. Ho Hum. Actually NO!

Told boss I'm deferring leave to catch up with work
    A boat is for going places

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    All the same data anyway, I like windy as there's so much in there, satellite images, ship reports, live radar, recent wind history against forecasts and easy comparison of the different models. Great site
    It seemed like the windspeed was much higher on Tuesday than predicted by windy just a day or two before. In excess of 30 knots as we came out of the lee of Portland Bill; I'm sure I even saw a gust of 40kts. My recollection is that Windy was predicting less than 20kts.

My crew was not happy, and we turned back. I would probably have felt the same, had I the brains to identify the danger.

40 knot gusts just out of the lee of Portland sounds like a recipe for a not entirely enjoyable time...
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast