Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Hugo Boss

Default Re: Hugo Boss

Looks like the next edition of the Vendee is going to be fast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceZc...ature=youtu.be

(sorry for the poor quality of the video, it's not mine)

Quote Originally Posted by TLouth7 View Post
    Looks like the next edition of the Vendee is going to be fast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceZc...ature=youtu.be

(sorry for the poor quality of the video, it's not mine)
    I’m sure the designers know more than me, but I’ve seen video of those super fast foiling cats catching a pontoon in a wave and pitch poling instantly ..

I’m not sure I understand how HB foiling along fully powered up at 30 knots, behaves when the bow nose dives ...which it surely will in the Southern Ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by Bathdave View Post
    I’m not sure I understand how HB foiling along fully powered up at 30 knots, behaves when the bow nose dives ...which it surely will in the Southern Ocean.
    I saw an interview with one of the skippers who said that the decelerations were actually less extreme on the previous generation partially foiling 60s than the earlier, daggerboard versions. I wonder how much trimming these foils need and what innovations they incorporate to minimise workload for the skipper.

The video I posted shows the windward rudder raised, but the previous videos seem to show the rudders with fixed endplates, anyone care to guess how that works?

Quote Originally Posted by Bathdave View Post
    I’m sure the designers know more than me, but I’ve seen video of those super fast foiling cats catching a pontoon in a wave and pitch poling instantly ..

Just as the video stops.

>o he won't ever be keeping watch which all other boats do. No, IMOCAs have moved from open cockpit to almost fully enclosed years ago.

In that case they are breaking Colregs: http://www.nepia.com/media/73229/Col...5-Look-Out.PDF

You can still keep a lookout from inside an enclosed cockpit. Anything don't think this thread is about singlehanding and colregs.

Quote Originally Posted by KellysEye View Post
    >o he won't ever be keeping watch which all other boats do. No, IMOCAs have moved from open cockpit to almost fully enclosed years ago.

In that case they are breaking Colregs: http://www.nepia.com/media/73229/Col...5-Look-Out.PDF

Quote Originally Posted by KellysEye View Post

You do know they are sailing single-handed, non-stop, around the world.
    It's nice to be important........ but more important to be nice

Quote Originally Posted by BigJoe View Post
    You do know they are sailing single-handed, non-stop, around the world.
    And not for the first time

After that vid Iím excited to see Alexís first official one. Bet thereís no need even for a bucket on board. All passengers/ hostages will wee themselves automatically. God, that thingís terrifying.

Turns out depending on your interpretation... you don't actually need to keep a 'physical eye' on the horizon, you just have to be keeping a watch. Most Radar/AIS etc covers that and provided you respond to the alarms, you're keeping the best watch you can... (which is a lot better than sailors 60 years ago could).

(I'll put an obvious newb disclaimer here XD, knowledge gathered from various blogs on this very same question).

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast