Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hugo Boss

Default Re: Hugo Boss

Quote Originally Posted by LONG_KEELER View Post
    I think they nicked the idea from Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons .
    The black and silver aesthetic is very traditional Hugo Boss, though.

"Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by Fr J Hackett View Post
    Wot's the two propellors for?
    ???
    I only saw one.
    But it looks like the deck is covered with solar panels, which is interesting.

Stealth mode for light airs, they blend in nicely, hard to spot

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    Itís ugly.
    Who cares. It's designed to do a job.

HUGO BOSS - the name carried by all six of the team's previous IMOCA boats - is a purpose-built 60ft long carbon fibre yacht, weighing 7.6 tonnes and featuring state-of-the-art hydrofoils. The boat's deck and coach roof, meanwhile, feature solar panelling, an addition which the team hopes will allow it to achieve its ambition of sailing around the world without the use of fossil fuels.

The boat's striking black carbon hull - with its significantly streamlined bow - has now been made public, a demonstrable architectural step forward from the team's previous iterations. The hull's glossy black finish echoes the sleek brand identity of the team's Title Partner, HUGO BOSS, whose BOSS brand logo has been cleverly created from silver carbon fibre and embedded into the hull itself.

The distinctive black hull is in stark contrast to accents of fluorescent pink which can be seen across the boat's coach roof, keel and rudder. Devised by Industrial Designer Karim Rashid - the man behind the brand identity of the boat - the bespoke fluro tone is a first for the IMOCA class.

There was more information about the boat on his web site as above. As Bobc says it's designed for a purpose.

I think it's an incredible looking thing. Not "pretty" as such, but an absolute weapon...although I prefer the looks and paint job of the previous boat.

I can absolutely see why the cockpit is enclosed and the coachroof is as it is...the amount of water coming down the decks on these things is incredible and that design is presumably a big advantage. I just hope they've not gone too extreme...rumours are it has no tiller or wheel, just a remote control for the autopilot. But then again you are going to the bog way more than you are hand steering one of these...and there's no bog either as it's just complication and weight. I just hope the electrics are reliable enough.

Cannot wait to see it sail, if the old boat recorded speeds of mid 30s, will we see this new generation into the 40s?
    Bavaria 32 GBR4755L "Adastra"
    49er GBR340 "20KSB"/Fireball GBR14474 "Eleven Parsecs"

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    It’s ugly.
    Seems to be general agreement there.

It's radical for sure, and I guess that's kind of the point, but I think it looks quite simply drop dead gorgeous...

...and I'd jump on it for a whizz in half a heartbeat

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post

...and I'd jump on it for a whizz in half a heartbeat

They use them as hydrogenerators for power, having two gives redundancy. Presumably given their 0 fossil fuels aim it has electric drive and no conventional generator.

I'd love to see the interior/cockpit and foils but I imagine they are keeping them thoroughly under wraps. Interesting that this time they can move the foils in two axes, sounds like a lot more work for the skippers (and designers).

Quote Originally Posted by TLouth7 View Post
    They use them as hydrogenerators for power, having two gives redundancy. Presumably given their 0 fossil fuels aim it has electric drive and no conventional generator.
    Less redundancy and more that they need one either side as a central one would be mostly out of the water.

I was expecting to be blown away by the new Boss, and it hasn't disappointed.... What a machine...
    You never know, I might be right!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast