Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 116

Thread: Hugo Boss

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,753

    Default Re: Hugo Boss

    Like it or loath it, you cannot deny that it's a work of engineering excellence.

    Some people say that F1 cars are ugly, but they're bloody quick.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    7,203

    Default Re: Hugo Boss

    Quote Originally Posted by TLouth7 View Post
    They use them as hydrogenerators for power, having two gives redundancy. Presumably given their 0 fossil fuels aim it has electric drive and no conventional generator.

    I'd love to see the interior/cockpit and foils but I imagine they are keeping them thoroughly under wraps. Interesting that this time they can move the foils in two axes, sounds like a lot more work for the skippers (and designers).
    Where exactly are these two propellors / generators? I only see one for the engine (folded) at 1:00. I don't see any hydro generators.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SW Scotland
    Posts
    19,651

    Default Re: Hugo Boss

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobc View Post
    Like it or loath it, you cannot deny that it's a work of engineering excellence.
    That'll depend on how it performs. Team Philips looked like a work of engineering excellence too ...

    Some people say that F1 cars are ugly, but they're bloody quick.
    They could be a lot quicker, though. There are lots of restrictions to make things more competitive and to stop drivers getting killed as much as they used to.
    Last edited by JumbleDuck; 06-08-19 at 13:07.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    338

    Default Re: Hugo Boss

    Quote Originally Posted by bbg View Post
    Where exactly are these two propellors / generators? I only see one for the engine (folded) at 1:00. I don't see any hydro generators.
    Could have sworn I saw them, must be going mad...

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    1,729

    Default Re: Hugo Boss

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobc View Post
    Like it or loath it, you cannot deny that it's a work of engineering excellence.
    That's true and it has to be remembered that us cruiser types get the benefits from racing
    further down the line. Eventually that is.

    I wonder though if the gap has never been wider and it is difficult to see where the benefits are going to come from and how affordable they might be. Particularly foils which to some are not cruising or racing. Americas Cup interest is probably now at it's lowest ebb .

    Personally, I love watching the wind and kite surfers .

    .
    It is never too late to have a happy childhood. Buy a boat.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Boat (now back in) the Clyde
    Posts
    5,649

    Default Re: Hugo Boss

    Quote Originally Posted by LONG_KEELER View Post
    That's true and it has to be remembered that us cruiser types get the benefits from racing further down the line. Eventually that is.

    I wonder though if the gap has never been wider and it is difficult to see where the benefits are going to come from and how affordable they might be. Particularly foils which to some are not cruising or racing. Americas Cup interest is probably now at it's lowest ebb .
    Lots of benefits have and are still filtering down rapidly to cruisers, including
    - autopilots able to handle all conditions, often better than a human helm
    - faster and drama free downwind sailing with wider sterns and twin rudders - unlike the old IOR copies which were awful downwind
    - better sail handling systems
    - low stretch ropes, soft shackles etc etc
    Even foils could filter through, not perhaps the full flight ones but to reduce heeling?
    -
    Last edited by dunedin; 06-08-19 at 21:26.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    7,203

    Default Re: Hugo Boss

    Quote Originally Posted by LONG_KEELER View Post
    That's true and it has to be remembered that us cruiser types get the benefits from racing
    further down the line. Eventually that is.

    I wonder though if the gap has never been wider and it is difficult to see where the benefits are going to come from and how affordable they might be. Particularly foils which to some are not cruising or racing. Americas Cup interest is probably now at it's lowest ebb .

    Personally, I love watching the wind and kite surfers .

    .
    Look at the old photos of the J Class boats. I think the gap between a typical boater and the J Boats was pretty wide then.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Boat (now back in) the Clyde
    Posts
    5,649

    Default Re: Hugo Boss

    Quote Originally Posted by bbg View Post
    Look at the old photos of the J Class boats. I think the gap between a typical boater and the J Boats was pretty wide then.
    Though the deep narrow boats with very long bow and stern overhangs, like the J Classes and the Metre classes, were driven by race rating rules - which led to some seeing these as good “classic” characteristics in subsequent cruising yachts, even though cruising and working boats prior to that had more practical plumb bows, and often sterns. (Ironic that the plumb bow with sprit, fashionable in modern race and cruising boats, is seen as not “classic” when it is in fact more traditional.)

  9. #29
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    The Clyde, Scotland
    Posts
    28

    Default Re: Hugo Boss

    I think it looks fantastic.

    Question though, it may be very obvious from the video(i cant stream videos where i am currently located) but where are the foils? Are they fully retracted on this boat or just not installed yet?

  10. #30
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    7,203

    Default Re: Hugo Boss

    Quote Originally Posted by alex_m24 View Post
    I think it looks fantastic.

    Question though, it may be very obvious from the video(i cant stream videos where i am currently located) but where are the foils? Are they fully retracted on this boat or just not installed yet?
    To me it looks like they are not installed. I saw the holes where they will be installed. Just in front of the large "S" at 0:48.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to