Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Hugo Boss

Default Re: Hugo Boss

Quote Originally Posted by matt1 View Post
    We saw her launched and we're lucky enough to have quite a long chat with the great man who gave all sorts of detail about the foils, which needless to say I won't publicly repeat! Suffice to say I was left with the impression that the boundaries were being pushed again, like they were on the last HB which was arguably the fastest IMOCA at the time.
    That thing looks amazing. It´s really going to be a test of the person at the helm rather than how fast can the boat be.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
    looks good and he may even be able to carry a couple of spares this time.
    Given that last time nearly 1/3 of the fleet retired after hitting something.....
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
    Given that last time nearly 1/3 of the fleet retired after hitting something.....
    Are you sure about that? Hugo Boss finished a close second after damaging a foil due to suspected impact.
    There was some other foil damage, but it don’t think it was the major contributor to the 11 non finishers (a much lower attraction rate than the GGR boats).

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
    Which appears to be a small IMOCA 60....
    In some ways ... the point is that Pogo (Structures) actually makes Class 40 boats. And I believe the 12.50 is based on the Class 40 boats that they make. Pogo doesn't make IMOCA boats. Anyway the class rules are quite different.

I think Pogo may have actually started with minis and worked up to bigger boats.

Quote Originally Posted by bbg View Post
    In some ways ... the point is that Pogo (Structures) actually makes Class 40 boats. And I believe the 12.50 is based on the Class 40 boats that they make. Pogo doesn't make IMOCA boats. Anyway the class rules are quite different.

I think Pogo may have actually started with minis and worked up to bigger boats.
    At the start of the class 40, it was envisaged that the boats would have a second life as fast cruisers, and indeed Pogo and others produced 2 versions of their early boats - the stripped out racer and the minimalist cruiser. As you point out, since then they have separated the boats a bit more, and the 1250, whilst sharing a lot of DNA with the class 40, is a different boat.

There is however a burgeoning crop of new boats designed to be fast, but designed primarily with long distance liveaboard cruising in mind.

(And yes, Pogo started out with Minis)
    You never know, I might be right!

Having no cockpit is madness there is nowhere to shelter from the bad weather he will get.

Quote Originally Posted by KellysEye View Post
    Having no cockpit is madness there is nowhere to shelter from the bad weather he will get.
    I think you're rather missing the point. He doesn't plan on being on deck... At all.... All the sail controls are down below.
    You never know, I might be right!

Quote Originally Posted by KellysEye View Post
    Inside.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

As I said a few days ago,
    Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    Is there any point in putting an astronaut in this capsule?

I’m sure Alex Thomson has The Right Stuff, but...
    Alex Thomson’s présence on board seems about as necessary as John Glenn’s présence on board his Mercury capsule.

All the handing setting reefing steering and navigating is going to be done by machine. All Thompson has to do is to put up with the motion, make a few calls for his sponsors and hope not to get killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    As I said a few days ago,

Alex Thomson’s présence on board seems about as necessary as John Glenn’s présence on board his Mercury capsule.

All the handing setting reefing steering and navigating is going to be done by machine. All Thompson has to do is to put up with the motion, make a few calls for his sponsors and hope not to get killed.

I d hope he isn't reading this forum! I think there is a little more to it than that!

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast