Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Hugo Boss

Default Re: Hugo Boss

Quote Originally Posted by flaming View Post
    I will be very surprised if this boat sets anything that you would consider a spinnaker...
    Code sails? Don't they measure as spinnakers?

They sure fly something from the end of the bowsprit that needs to be rigged and dropped, not just unfurled and furled (and left there).

Bit rude to put their watermark on it...
    Yes, very!!!!
    Bavaria 32 GBR4755L "Adastra"
    49er GBR340 "20KSB"/Fireball GBR14474 "Eleven Parsecs"

Quote Originally Posted by bbg View Post
    Code sails? Don't they measure as spinnakers?

They sure fly something from the end of the bowsprit that needs to be rigged and dropped, not just unfurled and furled (and left there).
    The older boats did... I suspect that the newer ones will not have sails that expect an AWA of much more than 90. And they aren't (as I understand it) limited by the rules as to what measures as a spinnaker, they can make any girth width. Pretty sure the only restriction is number (8 sails total). So the furling sails they have are unlikely to measure as IRC code zeros. More like big, deep jibs.
    Certainly don't expect any of the foilers to have an A2...

Here's Charal with a downwind sail deployed.
    You never know, I might be right!

The older boats did... I suspect that the newer ones will not have sails that expect an AWA of much more than 90. And they aren't (as I understand it) limited by the rules as to what measures as a spinnaker, they can make any girth width. Pretty sure the only restriction is number (8 sails total). So the furling sails they have are unlikely to measure as IRC code zeros. More like big, deep jibs.

Thanks. Although my point to Minn remains: those sails wonít drag themselves on deck. They arenít left attached all the time. They have to be rigged first.

Quote Originally Posted by bbg View Post
    Thanks. Although my point to Minn remains: those sails won’t drag themselves on deck. They aren’t left attached all the time. They have to be rigged first.
    Lot of chat over in the angry american website, but the beauty of having the sails on furlers is that you can drag them through the boat to just in front of the mast, then plug in a halyard and hoist out of a hatch, plugging the sheet in as it goes out and the tackline in only when it's 90% out and then pulling the tack to the bowsprit. So no real lugging, just a few minutes of winch grinding. Retrieval line on the tack to reverse the procedure.
    And they have put a hatch basically where you'd want one...
    You never know, I might be right!

Fantastic picture. Thanks.

First time I have seen a boat like this "on all fours".

It's hard though to mentally internalise this technology for a sailing boat. Perhaps it will come in time.

It's almost too outrageous at the moment . We used to think that planing was the ultimate.
    Last edited by LONG_KEELER; 29-08-19 at 18:37.
    It is never too late to have a happy childhood. Buy a boat.

>I think you're rather missing the point. He doesn't plan on being on deck...

So he won't ever be keeping watch which all other boats do.

Quote Originally Posted by KellysEye View Post
    >I think you're rather missing the point. He doesn't plan on being on deck...

So he won't ever be keeping watch which all other boats do.
    No, IMOCAs have moved from open cockpit to almost fully enclosed years ago. The skipper is very very rarely "on deck" as such. HB is designed so it's not dragging around a cockpit full of water everywhere. There are still places to put your head up (I've seen the boat close up) but to be honest travelling at 30+ knots in a ball of spray and constantly cat napping, you're better off with AIS and alarms as soon as you are away from the busy areas. You hardly need to keep watch at Point Nemo where the closest humans apart from the other VG skippers close to you, is the crew of the ISS.

Think Jester for the modern age.
    Bavaria 32 GBR4755L "Adastra"
    49er GBR340 "20KSB"/Fireball GBR14474 "Eleven Parsecs"

Beneteau First 31.7 owners Site http://www.beneteaufirst317.webs.com/

Quote Originally Posted by wiggy View Post
    New. Old one was sold and I see some pink at the stern on this one

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast