Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default IPad Pro 12.9 - can it be charged from a 12v boat?

I recently bought an iPad Pro 12.9, thinking that it would be a low-power consumption to replace the Macbook Pro I normally use on board. But it just will not charge at all from the onboard 12v power supply, despite trying loads of different cables and fag-socket plugs. The only way I can get it to charge is to use the official supplied apple charger and run it through an inverter. Hope I havenít just wasted my money...
    I'd miss my compost heap

Default Re: IPad Pro 12.9 - can it be charged from a 12v boat?

Can't see why it shouldn't charge with the USB-C cable plugged in to a USB socket.

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    Can't see why it shouldn't charge with the USB-C cable plugged in to a USB socket.
    Might need to be a high current USB socket. And the correct Apple lead?

I charge mine just fine with a 2.4A USB socket

It might be worth test fitting a small 12V/12V buck-boost to ensure a clean, fully stabilised 12V supply. Also a decent USB socket.

I have the same iPad and it works fine like that, but it immediately drops out if I plug the USB into a non stabilised supply.

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    Might need to be a high current USB socket. And the correct Apple lead?
    One USB-C lead is much like any other USB-C lead.

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.

Looking at things Apple, it seems the iPad Pro needs a higher wattage charger than the older iPads and iPhones. Something delivering 4.5 amps like this https://www.mobilefun.co.uk/official...-c-cable-71058.

Quote Originally Posted by Ric View Post
    I recently bought an iPad Pro 12.9, thinking that it would be a low-power consumption to replace the Macbook Pro I normally use on board. But it just will not charge at all from the onboard 12v power supply, despite trying loads of different cables and fag-socket plugs. The only way I can get it to charge is to use the official supplied apple charger and run it through an inverter. Hope I haven’t just wasted my money...
    How many watts, or Amps, does the 240v charger say that it produces?

My 9.7" ipad Pro from 2016 charges fine plugged into a 2.1A USB socket, but not when plugged into a 1A USB socket. So it should be just a case of getting a USB socket that can provide the required Amps, (obviously at 5V).
    Narrowboating From Stretford!!

This looks like an official Apple approved 12v charger which they say will charge iPad Pro, and provides 36W, (3A at 12V).

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/produc...arger?fnode=91

You could expect the 12V chargers with 5A USB sockets would be equally capable as suggested above.

If you are not too far from an Apple shop, could be worth calling in and asking for a car charger for your specific model.
    Narrowboating From Stretford!!

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    One USB-C lead is much like any other USB-C lead.
    I don't think that is really true, Pete :

All USB-C cables must be able to carry a minimum of 3 A current (at 20 V, 60 W) but can also carry high-power 5 A current (at 20 V, 100 W).[10] USB-C to USB-C cables supporting 5A current must contain e-marker chips programmed to identify the cable and its current capabilities. USB Charging ports should also be clearly marked with capable power wattage.[11]

Full-featured USB-C cables that implement USB 3.1 Gen 2 can handle up to 10 Gbit/s data rate at full duplex. They are marked with a SuperSpeed+ (SuperSpeed 10 Gbit/s) logo. There are also cables which can carry only USB 2.0 with up to 480 Mbit/s data rate. There are USB-IF certification programs available for USB-C products and end users are recommended to use USB-IF certified cables.[12]
    From Wikipedia here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB-C

Boo2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast