Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Regalvanizing chain in Sicily

Our chain was starting to show signs of rust last winter already, and after the last two days in Porto Kagio with 40 knot gusts in highly abrasive coarse sand, it came up with some links gone very shiny on the outside, meaning the galvanizing is completely gone on parts of it now.

So this winter in Licata (Sicily), we'd like to get it regalvanized. It's Maggi G70. If I remember correctly, the hydrogen embrittlement scare turned out to be wildly exaggerated and it's fine to regalvanize high tensile (G70) chain, right?

There's also some yellow paint on the chain (markers) that needs to be removed (perhaps just drag it around the seafloor some more :P).

Any recommendations as to where in Sicily I can get this done, given that 70m of 8mm chain weighs a bit over 100 kg? Malta may be an option too, although Sicily obviously easier. Thanks

Default Re: Regalvanizing chain in Sicily

Another option is to swap it around, end to end, so what was always in your anchor locker gets a chance to experience being at the anchor end.

Cant help with your specific inquiry and bear in mind that my experience at Licata was in 2013/14 and 14/15. The chandlery in the marina is unlikely to be helpful (but worth asking), the chandlery near the fishing port is much more likely to have an answer - if your Italian is good try asking around the various workshops by the fishing port. Theres also a kiwi who set up shop in Licata, try 'Yacht Service Licata' on Facebook to see if he's still there
    If you're not confused, you're probably misinformed

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Quote Originally Posted by stingo View Post
    Another option is to swap it around, end to end, so what was always in your anchor locker gets a chance to experience being at the anchor end.
    Oddly enough, although the galvanising on each end of my chain is reasonably intact it is the centre that is looking well past its best. It is the length that was regalvanised in UK nine years ago.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

I remember last time we was in licata same time as Robbie we asked and had no luck , in Ragusa we asked again and was told there was someone in cantania but that's as far as we got , we by in Siracusa in Oct to copper coat the bottom and will be asking again , our three year old chain is not looking good , mother Magie chain , if we hear any thing we let you know .

Edit

Malta there a few places that do fences , I not sure I would want them doing a chain .
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

You would think that Manoel island Yard in Malta would be able to help with this. You could tie up alongside, dump the chain on the shore, from where it's over to them or their recommended galvaniser.
    Narrowboating From Stretford!!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard10002 View Post
    You would think that Manoel island Yard in Malta would be able to help with this. You could tie up alongside, dump the chain on the shore, from where it's over to them or their recommended galvaniser.
    I had a chat there the other year but all they suggest was new chain , there a couple of places has I said that gal metal but I think chain is a very different then metal poles and fence plus I think they spray thenand not dip .
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Thanks everyone. I'll ask Matt (Yacht Service Licata). I've also cheekily asked Maggi if they have any recommendations, but no answer so far.

Also had a look around the internet, but not found much in Sicily. Catania has a foundry, but no Zincatura. Palermo has a large scale Zincatura a caldo (hot-dip galvanizing plant), but they don't seem to do cadena (chain).

Malta we'll hopefully manage to visit on the way back to Sicily, so I can ask around in person there. Meanwhile I've emailed Manoel Island.

Further suggestions welcome!

If your passing through Crotone on your way, I wouldn't mind betting you might well be able to get it done there.....

Quote Originally Posted by One A. View Post
    If your passing through Crotone on your way, I wouldn't mind betting you might well be able to get it done there.....
    Hmm, could go that way - got any recommendations?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast