Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: SOF Berth - How?

Bristol to NCE as well if West Berks just as easy but only daily flights in Summer.
    Last edited by wakeup; 09-08-19 at 11:18.
    Currently boatless........

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Truth is, for most folks nice cruising grounds are just a side show.
    Nice cruising grounds are just a factor along with a whole load of others for us. SofF may have superior cruising grounds to where we are but I'm not convinced that they'd make up for being in a huge marina (PV), the poor service, lack of rental spaces, expensive restaurants, etc.

Strikes me as being a bit like Courchevel, I love the skiing but begrudge paying €20+ for a slopeside small beer and half a bagette.

But each to their own!

I must confess we have been in SofF for the last few weeks and can honestly say its been fantastic, yes beer prices are higher and meals are a bit more along with fuel but visitor berths are cheaper so this helps to offset the cost a bit, also the amount of places to go in a short area is much better than Mallorca or Spain, we also have the problem of what to do in the winter and that looks like Italy is best to sit out winter and then return in summer months next year, also looked at buying but can't get anyone to settle for what I would pay in annual rent which is what i am willing to pay, at present they are asking 27,000 more than renting for 2 years for a 15m berth which is crazy?
    I would still say its a great place to go.

Quote Originally Posted by benjenbav View Post
    Probably there is the distinct possibility that, as with so many boating things, you won’t get it right first time. .
    Or indeed ever. During our 16yrs in the Med, we've sampled the Balearics, Costa Blanca, Croatia, Sardinia, a little bit of Italy and now the SoF. I wouldnt say any of those are the perfect cruising area and by that I mean plenty of destination ports/anchorages, easy access from the UK, choice of marinas with modest charges, well developed marine maintenance infrastructure, good cuisine and, of course, generally settled weather conditions. However the beauty of the Med is that its big enough such that when you've sampled one area and you feel like moving on somewhere else, its easy to do that

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    Or indeed ever. During our 16yrs in the Med, we've sampled the Balearics, Costa Blanca, Croatia, Sardinia, a little bit of Italy and now the SoF. I wouldnt say any of those are the perfect cruising area and by that I mean plenty of destination ports/anchorages, easy access from the UK, choice of marinas with modest charges, well developed marine maintenance infrastructure, good cuisine and, of course, generally settled weather conditions. However the beauty of the Med is that its big enough such that when you've sampled one area and you feel like moving on somewhere else, its easy to do that
    Can’t wait to get out there!

Quote Originally Posted by jcwads View Post
    Can’t wait to get out there!
    I wouldnt go back to boating in the UK now but on the other hand it did take me a long while to get used to the downsides of Med boating. First and foremost, its a different style of boating. You cannot just nip down to your boat in the Solent if the weather looks good this weekend or if its a bit quiet in the office one afternoon in the week. Trips to your boat in the Med have to be planned weeks if not months in advance to keep flight costs down and you simply wont be on your boat as often as were when your boat was located 2hrs down the M3. Second, however much Man Maths you apply, it costs more to keep a boat out there than it does in the UK. Yes you might find a marina somewhere in the Med with relatively modest charges but then you've got to factor in the costs of getting there of course and if you've got kids in tow that could be substantial. Then because you are spending less time on your boat and because you want to maximise the time you do spend, you are going to be spending far less time maintaining the boat yourself and far more money paying somebody else to do it

Is it worth it? When I'm sitting on my boat at anchor in some idyllic bay going for a swim and sipping the local plonk, yes it is but sometimes in Jan/Feb when the winter maintenance bills roll in and I havent seen my boat for months, I do wonder

PS. Hide the invoices from your SWMBO and lie if she asks you how much this all costs. It just means an all round easier life, believe me. I do keep a detailed record of all my Med boating costs on a spreadsheet but I once made the fatal mistake of leaving it open on my computer. That basic error cost me a summer house for the garden and a cruise

I’ve just read all replies and can definitely see the attraction of boating in the sunshine .

What no one knows is how much the rentals will be when the leases all finish , I’d guess the marinas will have everyone over a barrel.

Johnathan I’d do your sums carefully relating to what you intend on spending o get the boat to a med spec and the cost involved getting it there , reason I say is that boats in the uk are at an all time high , you might be better selling through someone like boats .co.uk and doing a deal with a full med spec boat that has no compromise on the gear that you need , one area is the size of your generator, it will run one AC unit but maybe not much else at a time , plus a telescopic gangway would take the pressure off handling it every time you berth.

Obviously just a thought in my head , there must be some nice Targas and V series med spec boats already out there .

Quote Originally Posted by volvopaul View Post
    Johnathan I’d do your sums carefully relating to what you intend on spending o get the boat to a med spec and the cost involved getting it there , reason I say is that boats in the uk are at an all time high , you might be better selling through someone like boats .co.uk and doing a deal with a full med spec boat that has no compromise on the gear that you need , one area is the size of your generator, it will run one AC unit but maybe not much else at a time , plus a telescopic gangway would take the pressure off handling it every time you berth.

Obviously just a thought in my head , there must be some nice Targas and V series med spec boats already out there .
    Mmm, a few potential issues with that. Yes, the OP might be able to get a good price for his boat in the UK but he'll lose the brokerage fees and then he's buying one in the Med which will probably be priced in Euros which, with Sterling at a near all time low, might not represent good value at all. Then of course, with the best will in the world, you always have to spend money on a new (to you) boat to make it just like you want it or worse, you might buy a lemon. If the OP likes and knows his current boat, then IMHO the safer option is to modify it in the UK and ship it out there. The transport costs to get a Targa type boat out to, for example, La Rague in SoF shouldnt be more than £6-8k I'm guessing if the OP shops around and waits for a return load deal

It's simple, the op should swop boats with Jimmy and put the UK one on brokerage.

Quote Originally Posted by volvopaul View Post
    I’ve just read all replies and can definitely see the attraction of boating in the sunshine .

What no one knows is how much the rentals will be when the leases all finish , I’d guess the marinas will have everyone over a barrel.

😆 I might’ve found the perfect solution: 4x long-haul @ the very front = reassuringly expensive. Not expecting too much scrutiny of my expenditure on toys for a while...👍

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast