Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: SOF Berth - How?

Quote Originally Posted by jcwads View Post
    Could be priced out unfortunately not sure I can get the funds for a purchase right now. Will probably then look at a wider area
    Is this for the T40, or is it new boat o'clock?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_the_builder View Post
    Is this for the T40, or is it new boat o'clock?
    I expect I will keep the T40 for at least another 4 years.

I expect I will keep the T40 for at least another 4 years.
    Ok. Is it med-spec already? ie aircon, generator, passerelle? If not, you'll want to get that done before you come down. I did aircon and generator in the UK but baulked at the cost of a passerelle - and regretted it afterwards.

Fyi in my first season here I was a renter in PV. They insisted that I needed a 15m berth, which at the time was about €1300 a month in the summer, plus I got moved all the time, sometimes more than once a month, plus I had to backhand them €100 a month just so they'd find me a place for the next month. Not much fun. Buying does take that all away, and with the very short leases, you're only paying rental value now anyway, there's no premium.

JtB, are there any marinas in the CdA that are renter friendly?

J, I would seriously look at the Empuriabrava area as an entry point to Med boating.

Failing that, where we are has loads of plusses, for example proximity to Alicante where you could even fly to from Southampton.

Ok. Is it med-spec already? ie aircon, generator, passerelle? If not, you'll want to get that done before you come down. I did aircon and generator in the UK but baulked at the cost of a passerelle - and regretted it afterwards.

Fyi in my first season here I was a renter in PV. They insisted that I needed a 15m berth, which at the time was about €1300 a month in the summer, plus I got moved all the time, sometimes more than once a month, plus I had to backhand them €100 a month just so they'd find me a place for the next month. Not much fun. Buying does take that all away, and with the very short leases, you're only paying rental value now anyway, there's no premium.
    Aircon and Passerelle needed, so will be looking at getting this done over the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    JtB, are there any marinas in the CdA that are renter friendly?
    Haven't a clue; I've been an owner in PV since 2012 so haven't needed to carry out any other research.

Aircon and Passerelle needed, so will be looking at getting this done over the winter.
    Aircon is easy enough; plenty of UK installers to choose from. I used Seacraft Marine for a Dometic installation.

Passerelle is admittedly tricky: the oe solution is a cassette passerelle which goes in that locker under the cockpit companionway. But it is crazy expensive (like, £10k). There are various other hydraulic options available but they are all ugly and still pretty costly. The alternative (which I eventually went for) is a simple folding passerelle which you stow in that same locker. The main issue that I've found with this is that in many places the dock is quite high relative to the boat, and your passerelle ends up being really steep from the boat up to the dock. I had an upstand made for mine to try and mitigate this, but it's an imperfect solution. Possibly the best compromise answer is a couple of passerelle deck sockets, one low down, and the other up on top of the garage at the back of the aft sunpad.

Aircon is easy enough; plenty of UK installers to choose from. I used Seacraft Marine for a Dometic installation.

Passerelle is admittedly tricky: the oe solution is a cassette passerelle which goes in that locker under the cockpit companionway. But it is crazy expensive (like, £10k). There are various other hydraulic options available but they are all ugly and still pretty costly. The alternative (which I eventually went for) is a simple folding passerelle which you stow in that same locker. The main issue that I've found with this is that in many places the dock is quite high relative to the boat, and your passerelle ends up being really steep from the boat up to the dock. I had an upstand made for mine to try and mitigate this, but it's an imperfect solution. Possibly the best compromise answer is a couple of passerelle deck sockets, one low down, and the other up on top of the garage at the back of the aft sunpad.
    Cheers. Shame about the retrofit being so expensive, it would fit neatly in the existing locker!

Cheers. Shame about the retrofit being so expensive, it would fit neatly in the existing locker!
    You will get some of the cost back when you sell the boat ... abroad

The renter friendly marinas on the CŰte díAzur simply donít exist. We are on an annual rented berth. We joined a wait list in 2011 got offered the berth two years later and had a week to make our minds up. At the time our boat was in Edinburgh! We upgraded our boat when we got offered a larger berth which occurred 2 years ago almost to the day.

Prices go down the further you move from Nice. The last place with a train service from Nice is St Raphael/Frejus, but these trains are not often and itís an hour by car. Donít ask about taxis as they are licensed thieves!

A T40 might be allowed on a 12m berth, but you might be forced on to a 14m berth depending on the local rules on length.

Annual rent for our 12m berth is Ä8150 all in no elec or water charges. A 14m is closer to Ä12k.

You appear to be fixed on Antibes, but there are many other options. One I would suggest is Riviera Ports http://www.riviera-ports.com/en

They run a few places and you can call the head office and ask about annual berths. I have always found them very helpful when calling about berths for overnight stays.

Remember itís peak season right now so people are pretty busy and might take some time to get back to you.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast