Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: SOF Berth - How?

Thanks mcanderson.

Somebody recently explained to me how renting works in Spain (Sant Carles aside), it seems credible to me but whether it's true or not others can judge.

At the end of the season, renting berth holders make their plans for the coming months - some stay in the marina for the winter and others move to other marinas or store their boats ashore. Once the marina know what people are doing they then decide if they have any availability for the Winter. If you're lucky with your timing / are persistent / bribe them you might get a space (even then you often have to be physically there to be taken seriously).

Come the spring, the marina people who have been renting over the winter decide if they wish to renew or not. If there is any spare capacity then this is offered to the people who went elsewhere for the winter and wish to return. Only after this happens they work out if they have any availability for the summer. Again, if you're really lucky, are persistent, bribe them you might get a space.

So you can see why an email sent now, enquiring for space next Spring can go straight into the Trash folder.

Incidentally, I've encountered similar behaviour with ski hotels.

Quote Originally Posted by mcanderson View Post
    The renter friendly marinas on the CŰte díAzur simply donít exist. We are on an annual rented berth. We joined a wait list in 2011 got offered the berth two years later and had a week to make our minds up. At the time our boat was in Edinburgh! We upgraded our boat when we got offered a larger berth which occurred 2 years ago almost to the day.

Prices go down the further you move from Nice. The last place with a train service from Nice is St Raphael/Frejus, but these trains are not often and itís an hour by car. Donít ask about taxis as they are licensed thieves!

A T40 might be allowed on a 12m berth, but you might be forced on to a 14m berth depending on the local rules on length.

Annual rent for our 12m berth is Ä8150 all in no elec or water charges. A 14m is closer to Ä12k.

You appear to be fixed on Antibes, but there are many other options. One I would suggest is Riviera Ports http://www.riviera-ports.com/en

They run a few places and you can call the head office and ask about annual berths. I have always found them very helpful when calling about berths for overnight stays.

Remember itís peak season right now so people are pretty busy and might take some time to get back to you.
    Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_the_builder View Post
    Ok. Is it med-spec already? ie aircon, generator, passerelle? If not, you'll want to get that done before you come down. I did aircon and generator in the UK but baulked at the cost of a passerelle - and regretted it afterwards.

Fyi in my first season here I was a renter in PV. They insisted that I needed a 15m berth, which at the time was about Ä1300 a month in the summer, plus I got moved all the time, sometimes more than once a month, plus I had to backhand them Ä100 a month just so they'd find me a place for the next month. Not much fun. Buying does take that all away, and with the very short leases, you're only paying rental value now anyway, there's no premium.
    What size is your berth now for your T40 JTB?

I have just driven past them with my mother on way to airport. She said they are a thing of beauty...

Quote Originally Posted by jcwads View Post
    What size is your berth now for your T40 JTB?
    I'm on a 10x4; I took advantage of an informal concession made by the previous marina management where overlength was tolerated provided none of your neighbours complained (as you know T40 beam is 3.67m). However the new marina management unilaterally withdrew this concession so despite owning the berth I have to pay an extra €2k pa for being overlength. (That's in addition to the €2k pa service charge, which in turn is in addition to the metered water and elec charges...).

I know of a berth for sale in St Jean Cap Ferrat which is a 13m berth that will take your T40. The lease runs out end 2021. C€20K plus annual costs of c€5k. If you are serious I can pass the details to you.

Quote Originally Posted by mcanderson View Post
    I know of a berth for sale in St Jean Cap Ferrat which is a 13m berth that will take your T40. The lease runs out end 2021. C€20K plus annual costs of c€5k. If you are serious I can pass the details to you.
    PM Sent

Quote Originally Posted by jcwads View Post
    PM Sent
    Wrong end , you need to be within easy reach of the Lerin islands and cap d Antibes for all round shelter .
    And avoid Going E out of NCE airport more so by road .Imagine the M25 x 10 for busyness.
    Thereís a reason why itís seemingly cheap .

Take time out hire a car from NCE and see for yourself , if you arenít amenable to advice .

What exactly are you after with consideration to moving to the SoF ( Med ) from the UK in the 1 st hit?
    Priorities your wants n needs and maybe the feed back will be more useful ?
    Remember boats move !

Hint ck out flights to Genoa

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    Wrong end , you need to be within easy reach of the Lerin islands and cap d Antibes for all round shelter .
    And avoid Going E out of NCE airport more so by road .Imagine the M25 x 10 for busyness.
    There’s a reason why it’s seemingly cheap .

Take time out hire a car from NCE and see for yourself , if you aren’t amenable to advice .

What exactly are you after with consideration to moving to the SoF ( Med ) from the UK in the 1 st hit?
    Priorities your wants n needs and maybe the feed back will be more useful ?
    Remember boats move !

Feedback has been very helpful so far.

I've been considering a move for a while and its now action stations. From a lot of investigation my location has landed at Antibes or the associated areas. Spain is out. Nice is just perfect for me to fly to, plus feedback on the cruising grounds is exciting to me.

So now its just finding a berth that suits our T40 in a marina for our first year or two. Purchasing was a worry but if its a 2 yr lease then thats fine with me.

I am getting a plan together now, so that I am ready to ensure the boat is specced up over winter and we have a berth secured too. Early days now, but I am an ambitious individual and will ensure I have this all in place for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    Pretty few and far between...

https://genovaairport.com/flights/un...m/#/searchcars

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast