Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: SOF Berth - How?

Quote Originally Posted by jcwads View Post
    Spain is out.
    What's wrong with Spain?

In my experience all marinas in CdA offer something different so you really need to spend some time checking them all out to see what suits you. We're in St Raphael and it suits us with a young family as the town is very family friendly, port right next to the beach and a park, lots of easy eats in the marina and in the town too. It's 40 minutes from the airport, but that's no issue for us as we always hire a car. A taxi here would be over 100 euros though. Lots of small quite bays to anchor in very close by, and yet only 10 miles to the Lerins one way and the same to St Tropez the other. We spent the last 2 nights in Antibes - it's a great port and we love to visit but would only suit us if we were without kids of if they were teenagers. It's also at the higher end of the price scale. As I type this I'm in Nice Lympia - again a great opportunity to visit Nice but it wouldn't suit us as a home port. Best get here, do a tour and get a shortlist together!

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    And nothing there when you get there. Genoa and close by has no nice cruising grounds, when comparing with caps d’antibes and ferrat regions.

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    And nothing there when you get there. Genoa and close by has no nice cruising grounds, when comparing with caps d’antibes and ferrat regions.
    Markc has it right
    He’s listed his priorities.
    I have asked what’s the Op ,s are and only deduced the NCE bit , loadsa fgts .
    I have to disagree with your summary dismissal of within a hr of Genoa for cruising grounds and certainly further afield .
    Corsica for a biggie is the same as a port near NCE and Cap Ferrat is only 2 hrs anyhow , but Portofino 2 hrs the other way .
    Anyhow if it’s just to go out anchor up and frolicking about in the warm ( 27 degrees today btw ) sea , then don’t discount a Genoa based base .Sun Sea and sand are the same .
    If costs are a factor and earlier post seem to indicate and why not if the £ is tanking ? Then Liguria is effectively 1/2 price compared to the CdA .
    Refreshing nice in Euroland more so for me coming from CH F land but a worthwhile consideration if coming from £ land like the OP
    That’s why I asked for Med list of prioritising of what the OP ,s wants .

For cruising LOCAL grounds the CdA is miles better agreed nobody’s challenging that assertion .

@ Pete M , again where’s the OP flying from .?
    Not mentioned Gatwick and Stanstead do London flights as Manchester If up N .
    Nothing beats NCE from the regions in the UK , again where are talking ?

Berth rentals on the best marinas near Genoa are easy to get 1Y or more , just seems a easy way and cheap way in to the Med ie no nasty Fr rip off surprises and in a round about inverse way more boating in the sense both sites global costs being equal for a year the Ligurian option ends up with more boating ( ok more hrs ) because you can buy a greater a proportion of the global budget on fuel to travel further on the general savings . Expect I lost a few on this one !
    Or not travel so far and save .

There isn’t an iron sea barrier once you’ve left the CdA , it’s still there .

There’s zero boat wake here and the proportions of Mobos to sail boats is the other way , so a stab sales outfit will die a death while the CdA territory outfit will do a bomb .
    Oh we got whale watching tripper boats as whales aren’t disturbed.Thats about it and I don’t miss the endless helicopter movements in the CdA .The reverberations of a R44 taking punters from Cannes and the Lerins are theses days inseparable.
    And hands up who wants a cruise ship tipping out 100 ,s of punters blowing out the local bars / shops ?
    Or two some days .
    Last edited by Portofino; 08-08-19 at 21:17.

Op's profile says West Berkshire so Heathrow and Nice are presumably good for him. Luton, Stansted, Gatwick a hike I'd imagine.

Op's profile says West Berkshire so Heathrow and Nice are presumably good for him. Luton, Stansted, Gatwick a hike I'd imagine.
    Are BA and Heathrow a “go to “ combination ?
    Risky for a short summer WE break me thinks .

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    Mmm... Do you really think it matters?
    If tomorrow morning all boaters would wake up and decide to keep their boats in the nicest Med cruising grounds, not only Genoa, but also the rest of the Ligurian and SoF coasts - bar nowhere - would become a godforsaken place in the blink of an eye.

Truth is, for most folks nice cruising grounds are just a side show.
    Luckily, I hasten to add!

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    Markc has it right
    He’s listed his priorities.
    I have asked what’s the Op ,s are and only deduced the NCE bit , loadsa fgts .
    I have to disagree with your summary dismissal of within a hr of Genoa for cruising grounds and certainly further afield .
    Corsica for a biggie is the same as a port near NCE and Cap Ferrat is only 2 hrs anyhow , but Portofino 2 hrs the other way .
    Anyhow if it’s just to go out anchor up and frolicking about in the warm ( 27 degrees today btw ) sea , then don’t discount a Genoa based base .Sun Sea and sand are the same .
    If costs are a factor and earlier post seem to indicate and why not if the £ is tanking ? Then Liguria is effectively 1/2 price compared to the CdA .
    Refreshing nice in Euroland more so for me coming from CH F land but a worthwhile consideration if coming from £ land like the OP
    That’s why I asked for Med list of prioritising of what the OP ,s wants .

For cruising LOCAL grounds the CdA is miles better agreed nobody’s challenging that assertion .

@ Pete M , again where’s the OP flying from .?
    Not mentioned Gatwick and Stanstead do London flights as Manchester If up N .
    Nothing beats NCE from the regions in the UK , again where are talking ?

Berth rentals on the best marinas near Genoa are easy to get 1Y or more , just seems a easy way and cheap way in to the Med ie no nasty Fr rip off surprises and in a round about inverse way more boating in the sense both sites global costs being equal for a year the Ligurian option ends up with more boating ( ok more hrs ) because you can buy a greater a proportion of the global budget on fuel to travel further on the general savings . Expect I lost a few on this one !
    Or not travel so far and save .

There isn’t an iron sea barrier once you’ve left the CdA , it’s still there .

There’s zero boat wake here and the proportions of Mobos to sail boats is the other way , so a stab sales outfit will die a death while the CdA territory outfit will do a bomb .
    Oh we got whale watching tripper boats as whales aren’t disturbed.Thats about it and I don’t miss the endless helicopter movements in the CdA .The reverberations of a R44 taking punters from Cannes and the Lerins are theses days inseparable.
    And hands up who wants a cruise ship tipping out 100 ,s of punters blowing out the local bars / shops ?
    Or two some days .
    I am trying to decipher your post as best I can, but my original post states I want to find out the best ways of getting a berth in the SOF near Nice favouring Antibes. I am not sure there is much more I need to say on the matter.

I've had a lot of helpful replies and many avenues to now consider. The location isn't in contention. I will be in the Nice catchment area. That was decided a while ago.

What's wrong with Spain?
    My wife and I had a lot of conversations about it, and I did a lot of research on travel. With my current business venture, I need as quick and easy access to a med boat as possible, and taking it all into account, Nice and surrounds was the decision.

When things change in the future we may well consider venturing towards the Balearics.

Quote Originally Posted by jcwads View Post
    I am trying to decipher your post as best I can, but my original post states I want to find out the best ways of getting a berth in the SOF near Nice favouring Antibes. I am not sure there is much more I need to say on the matter.

I've had a lot of helpful replies and many avenues to now consider. The location isn't in contention. I will be in the Nice catchment area. That was decided a while ago.
    Even more important than what the different venues offer is what YOU want out of them. CdA is great if you can get there quickly and, each time, stay long enough to enjoy frolicking (as Porto puts it) and repeat as required. Less so if you are limited to short weekend hops from the UK (soon to be renamed ‘£ land’ - Porto’s immortal coinage).

Probably there is the distinct possibility that, as with so many boating things, you won’t get it right first time. As such you should benefit from the time limitations on French leases at the moment, where you won’t be taking a leap into the dark with a long term commitment.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast