Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which anchor?

Default Which anchor?

I know.

But a serious question, I am in the throes of getting a new anchor. It's down to two:

Manson Supreme 11kg at c £230. I like it's robustness and price.

Rocna 10kg at c £290. Perhaps has the edge on reputation (if we ignore the contretemps about construction a while back).

Which would you have? Both will fit the bow roller and locker.

Default Re: Which anchor?

I'm in the same boat as you buddy. Jonathan is very knowlegable and I'm sure there are many more here that know a lot too, I've youtubed the same question, you should have a look there too but until someone posts have a look here
    http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...99#post6849699

Kind Regards
    Skip

Doubt if you could tell the difference in use blindfolded.

The Manson Supreme is an excellent anchor, but in my view the Rocna is just a little better.

The extra weight of the Manson is helpful, but anchor weights are nominal numbers and the real weight of the two anchors may not necessarily reflect these claimed values.

The Rocna has a better guarantee that usefully covers the owner if the anchor is bent, whereas the Manson excludes deformation. However, the Manson Supreme is a very tough anchor so you are unlikely to ever bend the Manson Supreme.

Really you cannot go wrong with either. If it was my choice, I would always go for the anchor that I thought had the better performance, but the difference is small in this case.

Obviously the most expensive is best! If you ask Geoff nicely I'm sure he'll hike the price of a Knox sufficiently to give you the reassurance you seek.

PS. My Knox fits my CO32 roller very nicely.
    Last edited by awol; 06-08-19 at 11:23.

Neither, I'd go for a Spade!

I would agree with previous posts - I don't think you can tell the difference.

The Supreme has that tripping slot - but I think it a waste of time. Most of the time you will not need it, so will simply use the shackle hole and how do you decide when you might need it - because when you 'activate' the slot - you are then in danger of accidentally tripping the anchor in a change of tide.

Both are fairly bullet proof and reports of shank bending are now non existent. The Supreme has had some bent flukes, as has the original Rocna - I have never heard of a bent Rocna fluke since they started casting the fluke.

If you threw the Knox into the mix, I'd favour the Knox, even stronger shank, by my estimate - a better hold, in terms of weight, much more attentive galvanising and if anything goes wrong its easier to hold Knox (or Geoff) to account (especially here on YBW) than either CMP/Rocna or Manson.

Unless the price of the Knox is silly my choice would be Knox, Rocna, Supreme but if I had been getting by in the previous months/years I'd wait for the Epsilon and see how it stacks up. My gut feel (always dangerous to rely on gut feel) is that Lewmar are no fools - they know what they are up against - so I expect it to perform (and it might do so without a roll bar - and this to me would be a significant advantage - and worth waiting for). The Epsilon, I suspect (like gut feel not reliable) will be made in China and might be released at an interesting price to develop sales traction (especially if its released at the time of a boat show). it will also be easier to get support from Lewmar - than an offshore entity - though any complaint for the UK would be to the retailer. Like Knox and I don't think Lewmar would want dirty laundry aired here (not that i would expect any about either).

So unless you are desperate to buy an anchor NOW! you could wait for the Lewmar Epsilon to be released - but you might need to wait 2 - 3 months.

In the meantime you could use a Kobra, I understand cheap, reliable and cheerful - you will need a decent second anchor anyway - and if you are unhappy with your current anchor - why would you keep it....???

Jonathan

Having done lots of reading about this recently and getting a lot of advice on here I think I'm going to go for a knox. Could have picked from one of a few but thought it would be good to support a local company and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Neeves View Post
    Unless the price of the Knox is silly my choice would be Knox, Rocna, Supreme but if I had been getting by in the previous months/years I'd wait for the Epsilon and see how it stacks up. My gut feel (always dangerous to rely on gut feel) is that Lewmar are no fools - they know what they are up against - so I expect it to perform (and it might do so without a roll bar - and this to me would be a significant advantage - and worth waiting for). The Epsilon, I suspect (like gut feel not reliable) will be made in China and might be released at an interesting price to develop sales traction (especially if its released at the time of a boat show). it will also be easier to get support from Lewmar - than an offshore entity - though any complaint for the UK would be to the retailer. Like Knox and I don't think Lewmar would want dirty laundry aired here (not that i would expect any about either).

So unless you are desperate to buy an anchor NOW! you could wait for the Lewmar Epsilon to be released - but you might need to wait 2 - 3 months.
    Jonathan
    Why would you trust a company that gave us the Delta?
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

Quote Originally Posted by doug748 View Post
    I know.

But a serious question, I am in the throes of getting a new anchor. It's down to two:

Manson Supreme 11kg at c £230. I like it's robustness and price.

Rocna 10kg at c £290. Perhaps has the edge on reputation (if we ignore the contretemps about construction a while back).

Which would you have? Both will fit the bow roller and locker.
    Performance seems to be similar amongst these, as well as a few other anchors, so I'd probably buy the easiest one to buy. £60 is neither here nor there these days. If I was in a chandlery with both in front of me, I would either prefer the look of one or the other and, if not, probably the cheapest.
    Narrowboating From Stretford!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast